don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Sciz

Sciz

A bit, yeah.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, that very last one is looking better, mouth and all.

Perhaps he should be a little fatter, though. Here's a fast and crude attempt at "fixing" some stuff:
    [​IMG]
    -Sligthy bigger belly.
    -Sligthly bigger muzzle.
    -Different position for the mouth.
    -Sligthly higher ear.
    -Just made the back of his head a bit smaller as well.
    -Also cleared the lower part of his eye a little, so it's not as noticeable and the eye looks a little bigger.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The 'fat' tails look doesn't help the piece much from where I'm standing; it's getting to the point where it resembles a bib. What Sciz did with the mouth is a keeper for sure. Great job picking up on that.

I'm massively grateful that we have so many original Sonic experts on hand. At this point it's becoming difficult for me to spot the nuances from edit to edit, but you guys have done a fine job with it. Keep up the good work.

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    And there are no other ways for me to improve Tails art at this fast pace.

Editing the vectors is now getting REALLY difficult due the size of the edits, (we are talking of alpha blended sigle pixels here) so please don't forget to specify ALL the details you changed, you'll save me many headaches! ^^

5. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  6. Sciz

Sciz

Expert? Nah, I do all of my research on the fly. All it takes is an eye for the fine details and a grasp on the fundamentals of art, which can be largely boiled down to time and public schooling, respectively. ;p

If anyone around here can recreate our tiny raster changes in vectors, you're the one. I'm just now starting to play around with Illustrator, so I can only imagine what work it is to create a sprite like this from scratch, and then tweak every part and node at the whims of the board.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=255614:date=Dec 11 2008, 07:37 PM:name=The Growler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Growler @ Dec 11 2008, 07:37 PM) [​IMG]</a>
    [​IMG][/quote]Do the mouth, belly, etc look wrong to you?

8. Flare

Flare

I prefer ICEknight's Tails, I know people are saying hes fat, but he is a chubby character, who I think up to this point was made in the vectors as being too thin.

9. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Let's not forget this small detail of the skull (always present on Tails artworks and being edited out).
    [​IMG]
    Tails is such a cute character and we must consider all the original design options! ^^
    Once the framing actually starts, it gets really hard to change.

P.s. Just noticed that the left ear cannot be like I've drawn in the first place! It needs to be turned inwards a little and show more left ear border. (as in the original sprite)

Working on it as we speak, please continue to discuss.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

*Colors adjustment on shadowed parts will be put later!*

10. Sciz

Sciz

Whoops. I didn't actually mean to leave that edited on my revisions, just forgot to take it back out. That S-shape is there in a lot of the official art, but none of the in-game art or concept art, which is what I based my revisions on. Leave it in if you want, but it still seems a little odd.

-The new ear is good, though it could use another shade of color to keep the stepping from being so obvious.
    -Drop the mouth by just one more pixel; the horizontal alignment is good but it still feels just a hair too high.
    -The shoes are still a little large, and the entire head still needs to move down and back just a little, as per my last edit.

11. [​IMG]
    I'm sure you all already have these images so I don't know why I'm doing this but it might help somebody somewhere.
    According to the official illustrations Tail's mouth always ends around the same place under the eye and around the middle of the face...part...
    But then again the official art always looked a bit different from the actual sprites, so I don't even know if official art would even be relevant to go by.

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

13. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Now that I see the two together, aren't the Tails's shoes a bit big?

14. Sciz

Sciz

Took me a while to figure out just what you'd changed. The structure is good, it's pretty much just small alignment issues at this point.

[​IMG]

-Red line: The pupils have been like this forever and I just now noticed it, but they're not quite at the same height. His ears are a little off now too, but I don't know that it can be fixed without introducing other problems at this point.
    -Green lines: Moving his head down slightly was good, but it's still a little off center. If you compare where it should be relative to his shoes and chest, the HD version doesn't match up.
    -Blue line: The shoes are too big. In this image, it looks like they line up perfectly. But that shouldn't be the case, since his hair is too far forward in the first place. Work out where his head should be, and it'll be trivial to tell what size his shoes should be as well.

Or you could just post the source .ai file, I've got plenty of time to waste on working out minuscule edits. ;p

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Nice work with the ear! It's really getting there, little by little.

That's actually what we're going by, now. The original sprite is less relevant since its proportions were a bit off.

It won't look like in the artwork, then. However it might need to be put a little more forward.

Open both in a browser, one after another, then press the "Back" and "Forward" buttons repeatedly...

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

*moved smile one pixel forward, shoes a bit smaller*

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Critiques:

Shadow under the ear very iregular
    Gray shadowing on Tail Color Stepped
    You could use the white colors of the title screen
    The white fur inside the ear has color stepped shadowing
    Shoes should be at least 3 pixel smaller in height
    Tails should be a bit shorter
    The eyes could be a bit bigger
    The perspective used on the farther ear is not good

The rest is nice for me.

18. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    I've almost finished the last Uber Sonic walking frame, so decided to post publically the source Tails Illustrator file for anyone to experiment any further.

19. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

But... The sprite is what was actually in the game. It's the thing that people have played with for 16 years. I can't get this logic.

If we're going mainly by cover art and ignoring sprites, then Sonic is the wrong colour, and his spikes are different, and Eggman should, it seems, have a beard. Also, the Emerald Hill boss will have a spike rather than a drill.

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

Japanese art I believe.