don't click here

Zone 02 : "Circus Zone"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Resel wasn't it?

2. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    Oh, It was Resel.
    All thanx to him :P

I used Resel's palette here and reseled that star block.

[​IMG]

Except those pink things, corner of those pipes.
    (Im going to replace them whit something better.

3. Haha Yes I did the Eggman blocks, with Phoebius.

I also did the ground and such, and some odds and ends. (And I think Gamenerd Advance helped with the ground too, trying not to leave anyone out!) I would be doing so much more with this project but School is eating up all my time.

Thundertimi - That's SWEET! I'm loving the roller coaster support beams, pallate switch and overall subtle increase in detail.

EDIT: However, I did notice - there should be a "Sad" Eggman counterpart to go with the "Happy" Eggman blocks.

Oh, and I also like how you turned my username into a verb... "reseled" haha...

4. <!--quoteo(post=257583:date=Dec 17 2008, 03:56 PM:name=muteKi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (muteKi @ Dec 17 2008, 03:56 PM) [​IMG]

5. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

There will be sad eggman blocks also, but that's just quick mockup.

Actually there is not many colors in resel's blocks, even they looks great.
    I used same palette as resel, with those stuff.

Thanx Resel and guys :P

And here is some more.

[​IMG]

I hope, that you guys improve it.

6. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

I hope youre joking :P

Read everything again, and you get it.

Purpose of what I did was show to rave Rave, that it look Sms style, if you just take pieces of level walls.

And I recolored them and wanted to Rave say somthing like "No thats still Sms style"
    Even I took them from sonic cd. So I tried trick him.

But I think, that he understand now, what im trying to tell.
    He was confused, because he tought, that im trying to make something like this.

[​IMG]

Not cool.

7. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

No problem.

8. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    By the way, I drew the eggman faces on the boxes.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Excellent, I really liked those. Incidentally, are you still involved in any way with this project? I love your work.

10. Matwek

Matwek

11. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Well, now it doesnt look circus enough.

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Agreed.

*sigh* What do I keep saying about research? :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the first page of a google image search, I merely typed 'circus'. Already, you can see some familiar colour motifs; red-and-white (Hello there Carnival Night Zone) also judicious primary colours -- a far cry from the cyan/magenta usage here. Look at the swirly patterns also. Stars are okay but is there something better fitting?

13. Random Hero!

Random Hero!

London, UK.
    Sonic 2: Remix Project (Music)
    The Red and Another Color "candy cane" idea is always a circus thing, but just take a look at Carnival Night Zone, it all looks a bit well... industrial, with Red and White absolutely everywhere.

It's nice to see something different, it's like a breath of fresh air if you will.

And I'm not saying anyone is wrong, so don't go pointing fingers at me saying I'm an asshole, I'm just sharing my opinion. :(

I think to be honest, the level so far is looking pretty swell, and I'm convinced that it's a circus.

And holy crap, I only just noticed Eggman in a tophat in the background... xD

Keep up the awesome work everyone! :v:

14. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    So it had nothing to do with the tiles looking like scaffolding?

Honestly, to me, circuses have always been about five colours (red, blue, yellow, occasional splashes of green, and gold), plus white and occasional smatterings of black. Jay's research example shows this off perfectly, and it's because of the brighter blues that Matwek's recolour of the mockup not only looks more true to the idea of a circus, but is also a lot easier on the eye.

15. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

We can use yellow, instead of white.

Also if we add blue, whit red and white, it look more circus, than carnival.

But I think it's red, white, blue and yellow.

16. Random Hero!

Random Hero!

London, UK.
    Sonic 2: Remix Project (Music)
    Heh, I've always thought Circuses and Carnivals were the same, with different bits thrown in. xD

17. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Now that's just crazy talk. Run an image search for "circus" and "carnival" and compare the two. You'll notice it's not the colour scheme that differentiates the two, it's the fact that a circus is elephants balancing on beach balls and lions eating chairs, while a carnival is vomit-inducing spinny-rides, burlesque dancers and drag acts.

Thing is, bold colours are the way to go, but eye-bleeding amounts of magenta are not.

18. Matwek

Matwek

I wasn't really thinking much beyond getting rid of that pink when I changed the colours. Heres a slightly better version.
    [​IMG]
    Still far from done, the blue poles now look out of place and I removed the stars as I think some better detail could be put there. I'll have a go at improving it later this evening but feel free to take a crack at it yourselves.

EDIT: now I look at it again it could do with an extra band of detail between the white top part and the yellow squares, maybe somekind of swirly circus pattern along a banner or something, or maybe move the blue poles to seperate the two other sections