don't click here

General Objects/Badniks

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Mobiethian, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    If I'm not mistaken, the smaller of the two is a direct rip from the 8-bit Sonic 2, which Eggfan's avatar is based upon. The righthand one is STHX's upscale; which I'd like to see with a bit more contrast; think darker, dirtier greys like the 16-bit Sonic 2 Metal Sonic.

2. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Could I ask that you post any such experiments, whether you liked them or not, on this board?

Let everyone else vote/judge, this is a community project! :)

4. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    [​IMG]

I had some time, so I made this.

Edit:

[​IMG]

final.

Honestly, I think we don't need that robot in game, but thats just me.

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    o hai guys

[​IMG]

6. We should have Sonic Hero's metal sonic =P

7. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member

before or after the battle? After is just SCD's version, but before is the most epic version. (Why does a cape look so awesome on a robot?) Sadly, I don't think a 16-bit rendition would be very good for that version.

8. Matwek

Matwek

Thought now would be as good a time as any to start discussing the objects that are likely to feature throughout the game, we had some good ideas for springs but haven't had many from check points, moniters, buttons and that sort of thing yet.
    [​IMG]
    Im aware that its probably too similar to sonic 3 but its a start.

9. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    Well if we're posting Silver Sonic now... =P

[​IMG]

Ignore the gun thing, it's a joke.

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  11. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    nice!
    Mabe more shine, and it look more metallic.

Awesome job!

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    You guys really considering using that in this project..?

Something from 8bit Sonic 2? I'm confused, I thought this was supposed to look like something in the main Sonic the Hedgehog series that came some time after Sonic 3K. The sprites look good, but to me it seems like something that would be strange to have in this project.

13. Matwek

Matwek

I agree, im not sure if its worth putting it in.
    But then again no harm with a bit of experimentation as long as you don't get too carried away and distracted

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So is this project no longer supposed to be "what Sonic 4 could have been"?

15. Uhm, no, I'm pretty sure it still has the same mission and goal as Sonic 4, just with a new name. Otherwise, I think that it could be a mish-mosh of OMG sonic ideas fan game lolz.

I might be wrong, but that's just how I feel about it.

And I agree that the 8-bit Silver Sonic should not make an appearance, I don't see the point. If he does, it should be for a very minor role.

16. Matwek

Matwek

Its still very much the same project as its always been, the way I see it is that from time to time people like to go on a creative detour.
    Although I do wish the same level of effort was put into some stuff we could definetly use.

17. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    First:
    If you put it that way you're right, but can't this be said for something else too? Or better, for someone else too?
    Of course, I'm speaking about Nack. Maybe you forgot, but he too never appeared in a mainstream Sonic game. His first appearance was in Sonic Triple Trouble, and after that he only reappeared again in Sonic Drift 2 (another 8-bit game), in Sonic The Fighters (an Arcade Game), and he made a very minor cameo as a item in Tails Adventure.
    Yet, no one questioned about his appearance in this project. I like Nack, and he appeared in more games than MS Silver Sonic, but, again, would Sega truly putted him in "a possible Sonic 4"? Someone may say yes, since he was supposed to appear in Sonic X-treme (or at least this is what I remember), but we are not doing a X-treme remake (well, since this game was never released, maybe this term is not right).
    I already said my opinion on why the name Sonic 4 should not be used in the ""Important Project Structure Discussion" topic.
    Nack and MS Silver Sonic have a similar situation: they are rather unknown characters, but they have many fans. Besides, I never said that MS Silver Sonic must be part of the story. He can be just a mid-boss, and he doesn't need to be just a copy of the 8-bit Sonic 2 boss.

Third:
    I never said he should be the final boss, or that he should be important to the plot. I just think that multiple versions of Metal Sonic could appear. But in the end they may only be bosses or mid-bosses and will have no role (apart from trying to kill Sonic) in the story.

However, what you said about a "mish-mosh of fangames idea" is wrong. Every new game start with ideas. No ideas, no game. Copying Sega will not allow us to make a good game. Any idea hides the potentiality of becoming shitty or great. What makes a fangame bad is its quality, not the quantity. A similar thing can be said for real games too. A game may have a lot of features but may suck, and another game may be funny but may also be short. A great game is achieved when quantity and quality are both perfectly combined inside itself. A perfect example of this is S3K. It has 14 wippin' zones, yet none of them is boring or not inspired. This too may be a reason on why this is considered the best Sonic game ever.
    But when I think of this project I believe that, if there is someone who can make a Sonic game better than S3K, then that someone is in this forum, because the talents here are really impressive, and probably the best of the Sonic community.

Fourth:
    I'm sorry. I'm the one who posted the first MS Silver Sonic sprite, so I'm the one who started all of this (this is one of my problems. Suddenly I think about something and I want to try it). I didn't want to distract other users with less important things, it is just that I don't have a clear idea on what should I contribute for this project.
    I supported this project since the beginning, but I don't know on what exactly should I focus for the moment. I can't help with programming and music, but I can help with concepts and sprites. However on what concepts and sprites should I focus? Should I (and the other members) focus only on Sonic for now? I think Sonic should be an important target because he is the main character, and the game revolves around him. Besides, what demo could be made if the Sonic sprite sheet is not full? ;P
    I'm sure that if you or another leader tell us to stop posting random ideas and to focus only on specific things we will gladly help in all the ways we can.

18. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    You know what? I actually do not think that SMS Silver Sonic should appear in the game. But you know, for the purposes of balance and getting the best result possible, I look at possible designs anyway too see if they sway my opinion. It hasn't as yet, but there's some nice stuff anyway. Who's to say this artifact from the past wouldn't merely cameo, or be a background detail? Many game sequels pay homage to their roots in the same manner.

Incidentally, if you want to tackle something else, try Sonic/Tails/Knuckles/Fang/Eggman or even completely new Metal Sonic designs. The choice is yours, just be sure to explore as many avenues as possible.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think a copy of it could appear much in the same way as those Metal Sonic designs did in Sonic Adventure -- in a scrap heap or in a collection of all the old designs.

20. Rokkan

Rokkan

Metal Sonic from Sonic CD should be included with his Sonic CD design, he's just plain badass and one of the best things about old-school Sonic. However, about Mecha/Silver Sonic we should definately create a new design. There wasn't a single game which did recycle the same Mecha Sonic design, even Sonic Adventure's Mecha Sonic at the Final Egg had some changes.