don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Nitsuj99, let me quote a part of Tweaker's post to make it clear to you:

My suggestion?
    Dig around a bit in the disassembly, play with values that look like they might be related, save often, keep backups, and document everything so that it's easier for you to track down where the code you're looking for is.

2. Are there any tools to hack Sonic R?

Thanks in advance;)

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    A hex editor.

Nah, there's a few replacement tools for textures but not much more. Also, which version you're on about would help =P

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    A lot of the 2D graphics can be found in simple picture files and such that can be opened easily with programs like Photoshop and GIMP, so it's not too tricky to edit them on the PC version.
    Save editing also has a utility or two, but the usefulness is obviously limited.

5. Fluffy Clouds

Fluffy Clouds

WAS A KID. Member
    San Fernando Valley, California
    GTA San Andreas trainer SCM hook.
    When my midi is converted to xm, how can I extract the voices?

...Like the instruments and things like that.

6. I have the PC version with 2004 on the credits. They have corrected some bug's on this version.

7. If that works on Sonic...could the Super Peelout also work on Knuckles?

or Tails??

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You can add moves for all the characters you want. But they will lack art, unless you draw it by yourself.

9. I've been having trouble with something. How do I go about jumping to a menu screen in Sonic and knuckles? Like, if you press start at the title screen then it jumps to the save menu. All my attempts have failed.

10. Fluffy Clouds

Fluffy Clouds

WAS A KID. Member
    San Fernando Valley, California
    GTA San Andreas trainer SCM hook.
    I think it's in GameModes in the disassembly. It shows modes like SegaScreen, S2Levelselect, and Level.

The save screen in SK makes the game freeze. At least it did for me.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That should be as simple as changing the screen mode. Move the screen mode ID to RAM address $FFFFF600 and that should take care of it.

Mind you, you'll have to find out the screen mode ID first, but that's rather trivial—you should be able to figure it out on your own.

12. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    Also keep in mind that S&K references some data from sonic 3. So, you would need to add that data in order to make it work correctly.

13. Tesla

Tesla

Still got a lot to learn, and a good level designe Member
    the UK
    I have had a little trouble with Sonic 1's music. I tried to port LRZ act 2 music onto Sonic 1 and to me, it sounds pretty ok. I wanted to change the DAC so that it fits well, and also change the instruments to play almost exactly like LRZ2. Where would I find these instruments and DAC, and how would I change them? Sorry to sound like an idiot. ;)

~ Tesla

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You'll want to take a look at SCHG:Music Hacking—it has a full breakdown of how voices and DAC tracks are stored and how to change them, complete with DAC definition lists for both Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Compare the two and change the DAC notation as needed, and it should turn out just fine.

As for instruments, did you port over the universal voice bank? If not, that's why it doesn't sound how it should. If what sounds wrong is the PSG, that's something you'll have to fix manually through changing the PSG waves and knocking down each melodic PSG channel (generally 1 and 2) by an octave (subtract $C from the pitch value).

15. Mairtrus

Mairtrus

Get a load of this!! Tech Member
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Sonic Z. The Z DOESN'T means nothing.
    Regarding about the DAC samples, I wrote a guide covering how to properly set up the Jman's custom sound driver. Is located here.

16. Tesla

Tesla

the UK
    One more thing: I ported Sandopolis music into Sonic 2, fixed the DAC and other things. But I have a problem: Numbers 18 (Extra Life), 1B (Game Over), 1D (chaos emerald) and 1E (credits) make strange noises, in other words, they seem broken. Would I be able to change them into other different sounds, for example, from S3 or Knuckles Chaotix?

17. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Sure, you'd just have to port them or import from xm using XM4SMPS.

18. Tesla

Tesla

the UK
    I tried importing the 1-UP Sound from Sonic 3 into Sonic 2. For some reason, no music works in slots 18, 1B, 1D and 1E after building. If I don't add any custom music at all, they work fine. I even checked the pointers, and they are correct, pointing to the correct place (from F8000). If I put the 1-UP sound into any other slots in S2, it works.

This can make the game unplayable as activating the 1-up sound (Slot 18) can crash the game or the music itself. How can I be able to fix these slots? And would it be okay if I can show you the difference between the unchanged music and the changed music, just to show that it doesn't work?

Thanks in advance.

~ Tesla

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The problem is that you're trying to overwrite existing music that is hard-aligned to certain offsets via the Z80. For this reason, I don't recommend the Sonic 2 sound driver to use for custom music. It should be far easier if you port over the Sonic 1 driver first, and then add your music like you would to Sonic 1. You'll find a tutorial for such a thing in SCHG How-to:Guide.

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I've never see this topic before so I think I'll finally find an answer for this.

The 2P mode in Sonic 2 features 2 stretched screens of the normal gameplay, but, I heard Mega Drive has no scaling capabilities. How can that exist so?