don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    That kind of sounds like Robotic Ruin from Rika's Sonic 2 hack.

But hey, since we're already making a zone that looks like Neo South Island, maybe we could do another Advanced Edit zone based off Robotic Ruin?

It's just a thought.

2. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    I'm really digging this idea, seriously. It could even be a deliberate trap by Robotnik- for it to LOOK abandonded when it's actually the spot for his latest project.

Actually, just a point, but is there a storyline throughout this? I mean most Sonic games have a very loose one arguably; what is it in this game?

3. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    I know this idea is out there, but instead of Amy, what about Tiara?

[​IMG]

Just a random thought.

4. Rokkan

Rokkan

I still think that internet people needs to know exactly what does random means.
    But anyway, even if that would keep the tradition of adding a new character in almost every canon franchise game, I still think that Amy would be better :~
    Not because it was I who re-designed or anything! :x

5. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Well then, let me ask.. what do YOU expect of a leader? What direction would you like to see this project go?

Until now, I was not aware that the leadership of the project was unsatisfying. :(

6. Matwek

Matwek

Thought I should move my post from another topic here seen as it answers that quiestion

"As far as contributions and opinions on other peoples work im not sure if I've seen anything 'leader like' being done. I mean you are obviously interested in the project and so far what I've seen you post have been benificial to whats going on but it takes more than just having a deciding vote on things to make a decent project leader.

People are willing and ready to help but they have no guideline to work from, make a plan.
    Are we focusing on this first level? Tile sets, Objects, Badniks etc all in one go?
    Or are we just getting the basic Tile set degined for each level theme done before anything else?
    And with the whole Tropical Zone debate, there should be some sort of organisation to the replys and objections. Why not get in touch with some of the origonal pixel artists, convince them to come up with several changes or alterations on their first designs, open the doors to all kinds of alterations from the community so we have a range to pick from, and most importantly keep a copy of everything so its easy to refer back too.

A lot of talk has gone into doing research before comming up with anything and I totally agree with that (as anyone whos studied any topic on a higher level would), but thats more the concern of the individual artist. What we need is direction as to what we should be doing research on.

This isn't ment to be seen as an insult more of an indication of what is expected of someone whos in charge and im sure people will be more than happy to work out a plan of action with you, to get things back on track."

Basicly a project leader might not nessecarily have control over the overal outcome and direction of a project but they should be at least setting it along the right lines. Controlling and catogorising content so we don't just get a stream of disorganized contributions. Sperate 'Zone topics' probably woun't be sufficient in their current state of confusion.

7. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    There's still time for organizing.. don't forget that we're still in the beginning stage. I would like to keep my position as a project leader, but we need more leaders or "coordinators" to help out. I can't do it all alone. There have been mention of some people who would be a perfect candidate for a leader position but so far nobody has stepped up to show interest. Phoebius backed out of his leading role in the project so that just leaves me and Qjimbo.. and Tweaker said he hasn't been doing anything. I want to see 2 or 3 more leader positions filled and at that point I'm confident there will be a better outcome for the project's direction.

8. Matwek

Matwek

I think there are probably a fair few 'new' people that are just as qualified to hold a postion as a project leader, they just haven't had the chance to prove themselves yet.
    Whilst I don't think im capable of all stages of the planning myself I do think I could be of some use in creating a plan for the art/pixel part of things, sort of give the project a bit of structure.

I've got a few free hours today I could knock together some sort of 'Basic Project Plan', current aims, objectives, guidelines, that sort of thing, get all the content so far into one place. Then send you a copy, see what you thought and get it posted in whatever format is best? Let me know if you're up for that and I'll get to work on it.

Maybe if Jayextee came up with a similar thing for the research and design side of the project then we could have two documents for new and current members alike to read through and see what needs doing and how they can help. If its sucsessful do one for the music and graphic design of title cards and fonts.

Like I said let me know what you think.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, I guess we need some more level artists.

Any ideas, dudes? May as well not dwell on failure.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Really now? I am quitting this project mainly due to lack of time to work on it at all. I could just, you know, say something like that you don't have my permission to use my art in this project, but I'm not. I'm wishing this project the best of luck and I do hope that you guys can make something great.

11. Rokkan

Rokkan

Um, me? '-'
    I didn't contribute much with the pixel-art yet but as soon as I get rid of some pending work of my CG course, my gf's birthday and etc I'll definately contribute a whole lot more.

12. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Fine. Show us something and we'll go from there. We need a pixel artist and you said you can do the job, so do it. At this point I'm not sure what is going to happen but we need to come up with a plan to get on track and get this project rolling.

EDIT: I talked to Tweaker about adding you on as a project leader. At this point forward you're going to be a project leader with me and Qjimbo. I am counting on you to help steer this project in the right direction.

13. Matwek

Matwek

Well I can produce basic pixel art to a certain level but it will be by no means a high enough quality for the finished game, but I guess thats where the comunnity come in to help alter things in the right direction.
    My main concern is getting some direction on the project and I'll start on that today, hopfully by tomorrow I should have something to show for it (I would wait untill then before deciding on if you want me to help lead).

Again sorry about the tone of the last post, made the mistake of leaving the computer on whilst drinking

EDIT: just to let you know me and Jayextee are working on a fairly comprehensive plan that should hopfully be ready by this evening (if not, early tomorrow)

14. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    You don't have to wait Matwek, I'm confident that you'll come up with a plan that will get us back on track.

Speaking of Jayextee, I'm wanting to fill another leader position, do you think he is interested? I'm actually not sure if Qjimbo still wants to help lead, I'd like him to say something about it. Hopefully Jayextee will let us know if he is interested soon so Tweaker can change the forum leader names.

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Matwek and I have been in conversation, we both seem to have similar ideas about how the organisation of this project could work, and we also have the same goal: to make sure that everyone is as creative and has as much fun as possible.

It should be a blast working with him.

16. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    So would you like to become a project leader with us then?

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Of course. I wouldn't be averse to working with QJimbo, either; we seem to get along particularly well. Are you staying with the project, then?

18. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I think if this project is ever going to succeed, a break to go behind the scenes for a bit, this would give you a chance to organise "The team."

If a fresh start is what you want, I Strongly advise you to do the above.

19. Matwek

Matwek

Already in the works as we speak.
    It will hopfully be a new start but will by no means be disregarding all the hard work put fowards by said people who have now chosen to leave. It might not be used in the context that they origonal planned but I'll definitely be relying on the concepts and preliminary work they did. welcome back anytime.

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy