don't click here

Sonic 2D Blast?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Soselocke, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The only time it really happens is in LBZ1 though.

2. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Taking into account comments that the arch/door and bricks looked too small;

[​IMG]

Or;

[​IMG]

I'm not sure whether either is actually an improvement, however...

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

I think the brick shading from both has to be combined, but they need to be larger like in the second. The door size is better in 2 I believe, but the pillars need to be wider. I think you are oing a great job so far, and I think you should continue.

4. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
  5. synchronizer

synchronizer

I guess that would be the best thing to do.

6. I guess that was a very short post. *shot*

Don't leave it TOO similar though, like Act layouts are WAY too simple in a 2D game. And some traits of the 2D series wouldn't hurt either.

7. Titan

Titan

UK
  8. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
  9. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Second one has so much more art personality too. First one is just bland shaded bricks. Second one, each brick has its own little detail added to it and makes it less repetitive.

10. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
  11. synchronizer

synchronizer

Really good! Some of the bricks in the original stuck out at angles, so that should also be added. How will the green "spinners" be dealt with?

12. The Prof

The Prof

The Island Professor Member
    Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Am I the only one thinking that those doors aren't tall enough? It looks like Sonic would nearly hit his head on it to me.

13. Super short post: He rolls out of them. Don't trash,it's kinda useful, for the most part.

14. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
  15. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
  16. Very nice! I think a reasonable way to make the spinner would be to have a raised platform that is spinning.

Doesn't need to be very tall..just noticeable.

17. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    For the spinning animation, I remember someone worked on a hack called Sonic MD. There was this attack Sonic had in that game that made him spin like a tornado. If you know who that is, maybe you could ask to borrow his animation?

18. snkenjoi

snkenjoi

Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=245108:date=Nov 13 2008, 07:07 PM:name=synchronizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (synchronizer @ Nov 13 2008, 07:07 PM) [​IMG] [​IMG]
    download

If the project starts to get off the ground, I can probably modify it to be more like the GGZ cannon. Someone else would have to do the art for it though.

19. Will do. Need to do something soon.

As for the spinners, You could just make a block that appears as a fan and a thin platform above it, level with th ground. A shadowed brick behind that would give the illusion of a distant brick.

Blanche's mock-up was good, but it kinda makes me think that this game is gonna be completely Straight Line Zone, seen as most of the badniks move slow an stay close to the ground.

20. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Good idea, I'll try to mock up what I think you mean a bit later. I've a couple of ideas =P

I think that was going to be an original problem in the game, but it was saved by varying the level design (like steep drops in Rusty Ruin and cliffs in Volcano Valley that needed spindash-lifts to climb). If good enough maps are drawn up, then hopefully it'll look less like a giant straight line.

I also think that the badniks flying so close to the ground may've been due to limitations brought up by the pseudo-3D perspective, and the fact that Sonic didn't seem to have a very high jump. There's no reason why we can't vary the heights of the badniks as they fly to make it a touch less repetitive.

This also brings up another issue. If the project does get off the ground, we'll need people who can contribute map ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.