don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Retrogamer, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

This movie's great. I remember when I was 10 and my parents brought it home as a DVD I could watch on our upcoming extremely long car trip we were going to take. When I first set eyes on the DVD though I actually thought I remembered reading online that the fans' opinion was that it was really bad.

I was wrong, though! The day I watched it (in the car going to Florida) I ended up watching it eight times back to back. It's my favorite animated portrayal of Sonic.

2. Cap

Cap

I only watched it about 6 months ago. But definitely a great movie. Just to bad the voice is woeful. Would have been better if they kept Jaleel White for it.

Also, the adult content is brilliant. Too bad its all misread. Tails saying "go to hell" is actually "your no help" and sonic giving the finger is actually a badly drawn index finger. Still, best cock-ups ever.

I've watched it so many times simply because its what Sonic should be. I miss the old days like that. Still, post-sonic unleashed should be fun.

3. Espilonarge

Espilonarge

Yeah, I did find some bugged MP3's but that isn't my gripe. There are lyrics "missing" in pretty much every version I've found. During the scene were Sonic, Tails and Knuckles finally find Robotnik's fortress and head down towards it, you can hear several lines of "Look Alike" that are pretty much missing.

Other then that, does anyone have a soundtrack list of the music? Can't for the life of me find the list anywhere (and mostly why my search on YouTube is bogged down).

4. Seen it on DVD. One of the most accurate Sonic Cartoon portrayals ever done.

Sonic jumps around spikes, enemies, and actually jumps on A BOUNCER.

How many Sonic cartoons can you name where Sonic has jumped on a bouncer?

This movie is definitely one of the best video game movies I have seen.

5. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I absolutely love this movie too, and especially the music to it [actually not too keen on "Look Alike", but the rest is awesome]; my favourite part of the 'music' is when they were preparing to take off in Tails' Tornado for the first time - I just love the beat!

Did anyone notice the USS Enterprise-A on the island they were on? I never really understood the relevance to its being there, lol - except just for the fun of it :p.

[​IMG]

6. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
  7. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    OOI why didn't you just watch the OVA. Both eps together would be the length of your average cartoon movie. And what "adult" material?

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The first time I watched the anime it was from a realy high compressed quicktime video file of the japanese version, so it was in two parts without subtitles. I found the english version in the kid's section of video's in HMV quite a few years ago for £7 so I brought it. (this was before dvd became mainstream so vhs still sold :P)

I love the film, it's great.

9. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Like, Tails said "go to hell," Sonic doing "the finger," and a scene where Tails face plants on the girls' boob (I can't remember her name). Youtube it.

10. Yuzu

Yuzu

11. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
    The movie was brilliant.

I saw it again recently, and it was too depressing to watch because not only did it feel so much like the 90s, but you know that if Sega tried to do a full length feature like that again it probably wouldn't work.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I disagree. I think they could do it quite well. It wouldn't have the same feel as this, though. But I mean, look at Night of the Werehog. It's funny, cute, and also crazy. Maybe a *bit* longer than it needed to be but still quite enjoyable and very well-made. Sega's animation team is very solid, and they've obviously got some reasonably competent writers. The silent hidden videos seem to have been well-received for example. You want to take Sonic "back to his roots" you put him in a bunch of silent movies -- think like the old Pink Panther cartoons. THAT's actually not too far off from Sonic's attitude.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yeah and people bitched about the mature content in Shadow the Hedgehog, even though Fang already had a gun. I honestly wouldn't mind a little bit more adult content in the games, just not going past what the OVA did. You have to admit though, a cartoon of Sonic on Adult Swim would be hilarious.

14. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Both episodes of the OVA can be found in their original format on Nico Nico Douga (Each episode is in one part). But I'd love to get the originals on DVD. A long time ago, someone mentioned a fan effort to subtitle the movie (Isn't the translated dialogue still up on Sonicology?).

I have to agree with Tweaker that the soundtrack of the OVA and Sonic CD really define the feeling of Sonic's attitude: he doesn't answer to anyone and does whatever he wants. There's something about the early 90's house and techno dance music that fits the Sonic we grew up with. Not this rock crap.

I always thought that I'd love to see a game level interpretation of the areas that Sonic and Tails run through after the Tornado crashes.

Had the OVA got extended into a whole animated series, I would have loved to see it.

15. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
    Actually what I noticed about that scene is that it's almost exactly like the Sonic CD intro. Go ahead, watch it. I think that the closest you can get to that is playing Sonic CD.

And yes, an animated series would have been awesome.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Certainly Ohshima had a major hand in both that and the SCD intro, but were they actually both done by the same animation team? Anyone know?

17. Jeiku

Jeiku

They weren't, and I'm surprised that a lot of people actually compare the OVA's animation with Sonic CD's - to me, they look virtually nothing alike (CD's animation was much more fluid and detailed, etc.). CD's animations were done by Toei, while the OVA was animated by Studio Pierrot.

18. tech3475

tech3475

Personally I thought the film was good in general (especially compared to the TV shows made), however when I first watched it I was a bit confused by the setting/extra characters (I was 8).

Did they make a sequel or something?

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No, that was the only one/two (depending on if you're watching the OVA or the Movie version =P)

20. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Is every song that was supposed to be on the OST up for download somewhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.