don't click here

Sonic Jam sucks

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TmEE, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I hoped for new synthesized music from the game, and what do I get !? some poor poor recordings from a later MD1 which has poor quality. Also sound effects are either too quiet or too loud. The whole game is ruined for me just because of the sooooo poor sound :) There also has not been any mastering done to get it sound any better, its just a poor direct from headphone jack recording with AGC turned on (you can hear how sound volume changes :/ )...

Sonic World is fun though, I wish my 3D controller works... d-pad is not effective for the control scheme used.

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I thought it was interesting since they didn't emulate the games. I think there were even some parts in the games that would normally have lag on the Genesis, but wouldn't on the Saturn. When I first bought it, I loved how much crap they had. Japanese commercials, some artwork, good stuff.

Phantasy Star Collection is built like Sonic Jam, but it has much more artwork and less of anything else.

3. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Everything else besides the sounds in the 4 games is awesome...

4. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Something Sega needed to (But didn't) do for later ports: Time Attack Mode.

This is why Sonic Jam is my favourite compilation, still. Yeah, the sound is pretty shit. And, I swear the S1 physics are slightly off (Though I can't tell how, they just 'feel' different by a whisker). But time-attacking the classic levels can't be beaten.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think those are relatively minor reasons not to like the game. I think it's universally regarded that the music is the worst part of Sonic Jam, what with sound calls and such not even working correctly and the inaccuracy of the sound recordings; still, that doesn't discredit all of the neat extras that the game has that weren't implemented in further Sonic game compilations.

For example, you have "easy mode" on each relevant game (or at least Sonic 1), which has edited layouts. While pussifying the game, this gives it a fresh new feel compared to stock Sonic 1. Then there was the ability to save your progress, the fact that you could use the Spin Dash in Sonic 1 if you wanted... the list goes on. It was a must-have, really. Plus it was the only definitive Sonic game for the Saturn—Sonic 3D was rather bland in comparison.

But yeah, Sonic Jam wasn't that bad at all. Sonic World and the museum really made it shine, too, as well as all of the developers commentaries. Really fascinating stuff.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yes, absolutely. However, I rarely play these versions because Saturn emulation is only OK for my PC.

7. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    My only 2 points of criticism about Sonic Jam were the lack of Sonic CD and that time attack forces that bullshit Easy mode on you.

8. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I think it might be due to the port using Sonic 2's engine, if what I think is correct. I believe it's using the same engine as Sonic 2 because the files for both games are in the same folder, and the fact that you can activate the spindash for Sonic 1. I'm not sure though, for all I know, they could have extra tiles in there (like s1 mobile) that were never used. Has anyone checked it out extensivly?

I wonder what lengths they had to go through in order to port all of these games. I know the Saturn uses a 68000 (or a branch of the main line) for a sound controller, but I doubt you could run code on it. Maybe they spent the time while working on Sonic Jam porting Sonic 1 to C? And since S3K already came out on the PC, the game was already converted to C. Still, I heard it's a lot more optimized to program in assembly than C. God, I don't know. :(

The sound is actually decent on a old SDTV. I can understand it sounding like crap while playing the game with SSF wearing headphones. SSF works really well with almost any game I throw at it. Still though, you pretty much need a PC with 2 or more cpu cores to enjoy the thing. :P

9. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I'm having a BIG HiFi here, everything is nice and clean (providing input is clean). I put great emphasis on sound in any game. if sound is poor, I will most likely have hard time having fun with the game...

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    You remind me of those kids who go around bitching about the quality of the series' voice acting, touting it as being the most pivotal aspect of the games. Way past cool!

11. Funny, I always thought the sound was better in Sonic Jam than on the Genesis because the SFX do not mess up the music. The SFX themselves are pretty shitty in Sonic Jam, but the fact that the music doesn't get crapped out by them makes Sonic Jam win in the sound department, at least for me anyway.

12. Vlcice

Vlcice

Oldbie
    Since I don't think docfuture posted it here, I just thought I'd point out that this is the best thing to come out of Sonic Jam.

13. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I bought Sonic 3D but never got my hand on this. Saturn games were hard to find where I live.
    Playstation was everywhere...

14. Eddo

Eddo

I disliked the audio of Sonic 1 in the PS2 Genesis Collection. Something about the ring and enemy destroyed noises were off to me... plus the non-sped up music with the Speed Shoes and no emerald jingle.

15. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    Oh man... that video... did such a great job at relaxing me.. ahh yeah...

69. Heh heh heh...

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I never really noticed sound problems back in the day. Though I do remember Sonic Jam's games running at their correct speed rather than gimped 50Hz stuff, so the sound is an improvement in that aspect anyway.

There's certianly been worse "ports".

17. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    The sound is okay if you have a unmodded MD2, but I have a modded one which sounds as good if not better than emulators and it really hurts my ears...
    I got an idea, my possible Sonic hack - Sonic Jam with GOOD sound :P

18. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The audio is in Redbook, you can replace it easily enough. Or, you go go one step further.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    ...what version of Sonic Jam do you have? Mine certainly doesn't have redbook audio for anything but the Sonic Team logo.

20. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Hmm, that guy who did the "Let's Play Sonic 1 on easy" said it was, and I was feeling kind of lazy and didn't look it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.