don't click here

Your Top 5 Best & Worst Sonic Games?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Retrogamer, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    I don't think I've played all the way through any other game as many times as I have this one. Number one my list for good reason. I'll still play through Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles while sitting in class. In the past month I've played through Sonic 3 alone with all the Chaos Emeralds at least four times.

2. Sonic Advance
    The last Sonic game of its kind. The level design was great, and each one was compatible with any of the characters' special abilities. Once Sonic Advance 2 hit, the characters' abilities were more or less "optional", and due to the fast nature of the game, nobody wants to fly or glide because that will slow them down. Sonic Advance was the closest we'd got to classic Sonic in roughly 7 or 8 years. I can't not mention it. I also just loved the Time Attacking. Me and my best friend used to go back and forth trying to get the fastest time on Neo Green Hill 1. Good fun.

3. Sonic Adventure
    The game has aged horribly, but I'll still pick it up and play it every now and then. Years ago though, I loved the shit out of it, and enjoyed all the different types of gameplay. Yes, even the fishing was kind of fun.

4. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
    A little lower on my list than some of you would approve, but I'm going to stand by it. It took everything the original had, and improved upon it. The Special Stages are fun (if you're playing as Sonic alone), and I love either zooming through or exploring each Zone (though if I had to pick a Zone to take out of the game, it'd be Oil Ocean. The music is annoying, and it's just too slow). Super Sonic was a sight to behold, and makes the game just...more fun. I'd say the only reason it's not 3 on my list, is because Sonic and Tails play exactly the same, but then again, if that bothered me too much, it'd be 5 or lower.

5. Sonic Unleashed (360)
    I hesitate to put it before any of the first four, but I'm not afraid to put it in front of some of the others. It's just...fun. And challenging. It requires actual skill and decent reflexes. The night stages have a wonderful combat system, that's a lot more in depth than it lets on. The platforming in both times of day is excellent. To be quite honest, it's the most fun I've had with a video game in about a year now (probably since Super Mario Galaxy). This is an educated choice, I've spent so much time with the game since last week. I've played all the way through it, and compared to a bunch of other Sonic games. I'd put it before Sonic Adventure, if not just because of how great the hub worlds are, but I'm already risking enough by putting it ahead of the original.

Five worst?

1. Sonic Labyrinth
    Started it up, stopped it in about thirty seconds. Sonic was no faster than a sloth, and using the Spin-Dash didn't help too much. Fucking terrible.

2. Sonic Blast (GG)
    Someone tried to do prerendered sprites on the game gear, but didn't put any effort into the gameplay. Also fucking terrible. The Special Stage makes me want to vomit.

3. Sonic Drift
    It was both a terrible Sonic game, and a terrible racing game. It was just...boring.

4. Shadow The Hedgehog
    I tried to like it. Just could've been a LOT better.

5. Sonic The Hedgehog (360/PS3)
    Yep.

And everything else is just crammed in between. I'd have the say the original game is 6th best, but you know.

2. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Best:
    1) Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: I became a proud fan of this series thanks to this amazing work of art and programming. It's style is unmatched. I just found it to be really cool. Amazing sound. Everything really. Multiplayer. Nostalgia. It's all here.

2) Sonic Unleashed 360: The amazing sense of speed and level design is jaw dropping. The story and the werehog stages I honestly find boring however.

3) Shadow the Hedgehog: A better sequel to SA2Battle. nice style and music. It combines action with speed very nicely. Lots of missions too. I've adapted to the controls, so I don't suck at the game. Very good character development (black arms, and shadow) One of the more engaging stories in this series I have to say.

4) Sonic CD: I'm not a fan of 2D sonic, but this is a very charming game. Beautiful art. Well thought out level design. And superb music.

5) Sonic Advance 2: The most enjoyable Game Boy Advance game I've played. The level design is what makes me love this game so much.

Worst:
    1) Sonic 3D Blast: After beating the first level, I just think the game design wasn't a good idea. Good music though.

2) Sonic Labyrinth: Same game design as Sonic 3d Blast except A LOT worse.

3) Sonic 2 Game Gear: I liked the first Game Gear one, but this I felt had inferior graphics and was way too difficult.

4) Sonic Next Gen: Honestly I like the engaging story, character models, and the amazing sound. But the game design and programming was a mess.

5) Sonic Spinball Game Gear: The Genesis version is fine, but this version I couldn't stand.

3. Machenstein

Machenstein

Shouldn't that be "Shiyadou" the Hedgehog? :psyduck:

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Best:

1. Sonic CD - SegaCD

The single greatest game of all time, hands down. Nothing wrong with this game at all.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Sega Genesis

This is my first Sonic game ever, even though EHZ bores me, the rest of the game has a special place in my heart

3. Sonic 3 and Knuckles - Sega Genesis

This is actually rivaling my second, it's really hard to choose which one is actually my 2nd favorite.

4. Sonic Adventure 2 - Dreamcast

Hard to decide between the first or second, so I'll go with the second, even though they fixed what wasn't broken (Spindash, Town Stages).

5. Sonic Unleashed - X360

I fucking love it. It has everything I need and more. (More being too much challenge, but I digress.) They even had Watermelons in Mazuri!

Worst:

1. Sonic Labyrinth - SMS

A Sonic game where Sonic isn't Sonic. BAD.

2. Shadow the Hedgehog - Multiplatform

Levels were too long, scriped loops = Death, weapons, trying to be "cool" be swearing in inappropriate times and an emo storyline.

3. Sonic Genesis - GBA

Ne need for explanation.

4. Sonic Drift - GG

I like the second one though :/.

5. Sonic 2 GG (NOT SMS)

Fucking crabmouthed boss. the rest of the game is a fucking cesspool of joy, but you, you crusteacean appendage mandibled faggot, you are a game breaker. >:psyduck:

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Top 5:

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles: The peak of perfection. I love this game so much. Whenever I don't like a Sonic game, I just think, there is always Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and I got play it.

2. Sonic 2: and the precursor to the peak of perfection. This game was the first game I ever played, and while it doesn't stand up to Sonic 3 and Knuckles, it's close

3. Sonic CD: It's a fun game with a beautiful Soundtrack

4. Sonic Unleashed (360): Not perfect but this is the best 3D adventure Sonic's graced himself in. Definitely a fun game. Looks beautiful. Sounds wonderful. I can't wait for a sequel.

5. Sonic Adventure 2: I've clocked more hours in this game than any other. It has to be pretty good than

Bottom 5:

5. Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis): With crappy special stages, bird saving, and not spectacular music, this version falls far behind the superior Saturn version, which is higher up on my list (But not in the top 5)

4. Sonic Riders: So unnecessary but they insisted on making it, and a sequel, which is not on this list as I've never played it.

3. Sonic Advance 2: The other 2 were great, but this game has too much lol speed and hold right. Basically it was Sonic Rush done worse.

2. Sonic 06: While technically worse than Shadow, it was better for one reason. It's still a cluster fuck of shit though

1. Shadow: Guns. This is why this game fails. along with glitches and ugliness. Personal preference has put this below Sonic 06.

0. Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis: Oh I didn't forget you my haven of crap. God damn I could have made a better port then they did and I don't know what I'm doing... then again neither did they.

6. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Top 5 Sonic Games

1. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (SEGA Genesis) I absolutely love this game even to this day. In my opinion its the best one in the series

2. Sonic The Hedgehog (SEGA Genesis) Besides being over a bit too quickly this is my 2nd Favourite Sonic game ever. Its the game the started it all!

3. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (SEGA Genesis) Interesting Level Layouts and Puzzles made this my 3rd favourite..... also not forgetting Michael Jacksons soundtrack :)

4. Sonic CD (SEGA CD) One which I hadnt played on as a youngster (no one had a MEGA CD back then) played it on Sonic GEMS collection and found it to be very interesting and I liked the Audio CD Tracks!

5. Sonic Advance (Gameboy Advance) One of the only decent Sonic titles Post Genesis.

Worst ones.

1. Shadow The Hedgehog (PS2) what the heck was this meant to be?

2. Sonic & The Secret Rings (Wii) absolutely awful on so many levels!!

3. Sonic The Hedgehog (PS3 & 360) Woefull controls and bad camera views ruined this.

4. Sonic 3D Flickies Island (Genesis) I didnt like this too much. I found it fiddly and very annoying.

5. Sonic Spinball (Genesis) Ok so not a typical Sonic game but woefull... if you wanted a pinball game you should have played Pinball Fantasies on the Amiga ;)

7. xcliber

xcliber

Best:
    1.) Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Genesis) .....(still some of my favorite music, long levels and smooth graphics)
    2.) Sonic Rush/Adventure (DS) .......(they tie for second. I love the music in both of them! Have all the S ranks in Rush and have Most S ranks in Adventure while the rest are A)
    3.) Sonic Unleashed (Wii) ................(Can't really comment on it too much yet as I haven't even got the night part of the first level, but I'm having fun so far.)
    4.) Sonic Adventure (DC) ................(The only 3D Sonic game that you could play as Tails alone (without the tornado). I haven't played SONIC '06 yet)
    5.) Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (GC) ...(All A ranks! w00t!)

Honorable Mentions:
    -Sonic Heroes (GC) .................(I actually didn't think it was all that bad)
    -Shadow the Hedgehog (Xbox) .(Same goes for this one, though it's far from being one of my favorites)
    -Tails Adventure
    -Tails SkyPatrol
    -Sonic Blast
    -Sonic Chaos
    I was never a big fan of the GG/SMS

Worst:
    1.) Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) .................(WTF?!)
    2.) Sonic Riders (PC) ......................................(Damn ATI video card issues and crappy controls)
    3.) Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games (DS) (Kick Shadows ass in Ping Pong and Fencing as Tails)
    4.) Sonic CD (PC) ...........................................(Cool anime opening and ending, but that's all it had)
    5.) Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) ............................(Damnit! My flickies are getting away! Great music though.)

Sonic Spinball, Drift, Labyrinth aren't even worth putting on the list.
    They rank 0, -1, and -2 respectively...

8. Best, in no particular order

Sonic 2 - Everything, from the music to the stages had an awesome surreal charm to it, that's been slowly disappearing ever since Sonic 3
    Sonic Advance - But than the charm breifly returned.
    Sonic CD - Time Travel concept kicks ass, but the peelout does not.
    Sonic 3K - Massives stages gave S3K an epic feeling to it, that has only been recaptured once by..
    Sonic Adventure - The best 3D platformer to grace god's green earth.

Worst

Sonic Heroes - I don't own a copy of this because I played the demo. Ouch
    Sonic 3D - While not a terrible game, it was fairly dull, and hardly a Sonic game.
    Sonic R - Once again, not awful, but still has shitty controls, and terrible music
    Sonic Advance 2+3 - Press Right to win.
    Sonic 360 - Played the demo. Rubbed me the wrong way.
    Sonic 1 GG - Game is poorly designed and unpossible to play.

Shadow the Hedgehog deserves special mention, in that it's overall camp value elevates it from being a mediocre game, to so-bad-it's-actually-kind-of-awesome. It's also kind of fun, in a perversion of taste kind of way.

9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Best:

1. Sonic Adventure/DX

The only game that can be this flawed and get away with it - full of soul, the physics and art direction just scream sonic to me. Could have been the best game ever but poor management and time constraints brought it down. Still the concept of the adventure field was something I'd never experienced before in a game and it totally resounded with the love for exploration which is innate to my character. Take out the 3 bad characters, and just make the game longer and you'd have the perfect video game. I remember I first saw this game at a computer show playing the 1 level sonic in emerald coast level. I played it for about half an hour until the vendor (who was selling monitors) kicked me off his dreamcast. I begged and pleaded for a dreamcast the second I got in the car to go home. I was one of the few people who grew up with the oldschool sonic and found the 1999 redesign of the character appealing. Sonic was just awesome in 3d running along the beach and running from whales.

2. Sonic The Hedgehog 2

My first video game. Oh man was that cool, I loved the concept of a character who rebelled against tyranny and was fast and free. I owned the system and cartridge for years and never beat it though, because I was just a kid and it was hard for me then. Got to the last level once and died. Only years later did I beat it in gens. CPZ used to be a bitch too due to the mega mack, but I loved it regardless. I usually got discouraged by HTZ (which to date sucks imo) but I kept playing just for WFZ, which is totally epic awesome.

3. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles

moar genesis goodness

4. Sonic Adventure 2/Battle
    my major complaint with this game was the removal of the adventure field. I BAWWWWW'ed at that for months after I got the game on the day of its release. The mech characters also pissed me off but shadow was just totally badass, and the running stages had all mah love <3

AR + sa2b = replayvalue(hueg number)

5. Sonic Unleased (also on my worst list) Too fast, too linear... But the humor saves it enough to make it playable

5 worst sonic games

1. Sonic and the secret rings
    jesus christ the controls were so bad I couldn't even play the game. Instafail, killed my desire to even get into it.

2. Sonic Heroes
    Come on guys, seriously? 3 characters at once? And you got rid of uekawa for the art? BAD BAD BAD Give me my Adventure art style back please. Also shitty physics and a terrible homing attack didn't help either

3. Sonic Unleashed
    Too fast and on rails to be any fun. Rip the daytime levels out, replace werehog with normal sonic, and replace these stupid faceless robots with cute bunnies with teeth that throw bombs. Bam, winrar.

also note to sonic team: I want you to violently kill off all of sonic's 'friends' except for tails and shadow. srsly.

10. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Who's the guy who re-edited my post?
    I was just trying to be funny. I don't actually call the games sonikku.....

11. WyraachUr

WyraachUr

Dark Dragon God Wyraach Ur Member
    Top 5 on my end:

1: Sonic CD
    2: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
    3: Sonic Heroes
    4: Sonic 2
    5: Shadow The Hedgehog (Its not too bad... but FPS-ish wise I'll stick to Halo 3 and FF7 Dirge of Cerberus XD)

Worst 5:
    1: Sonic Genesis GBA (I played it on emulator. SO F*CKING GLAD it was never released here)
    2: Sonic 2 Game Gear (The hanglider gets me killed so many times its not funny. not to mention that zone with all the tubes... X_X)
    3: Sonic Next Gen (Freaking loading time is what killed my interest in it)
    4: Sonic Riders (Could never get used to the controls, so I could never get past one of the levels...)
    5: To be confirmed XD

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    The 5 best games:
    1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    2. Sonic Adventure/DX
    3. Sonic The Hedgehog
    4. Sonic 3D Blast (Sonic 3D Flickies Island outside of US)
    5. Sonic The Hedgehog2
    Now for the worst:
    1. Sonic the Hedgehog2 (both GG and Master System versions)
    2. Genesis Sonic The Hedgehog (they ruin the soundtrack! damn you nintendo!)
    3. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (both Genesis version and GG version)
    4. Sonic The Hedgehog (both GG and Master System versions, I like the soundtrack though)
    5. Sonic Blast

13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    THE LOSERS:

5. Sonic CD - Overrated piece of junk. Oh sure, the soundtrack is excellent and the levels look kinda cool. However, playing it sucks what with that sorry excuse for a Spin Dash and no Super Sonic.

4. Sonic Labyrinth - because being a slow Sonic that can only Spin Dash is a great idea! Not.

3. Shadow the Hedgehog - A disappointment all around. From the crappy Heroes graphics, to the busted controls, to the sucktastic 4 kids cast. This game should have been AWESOME but it wasn't.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis - The fact that a freaking FAN ported Sonic 1 to the GBA better than Sega says a LOT about this game.

1. SONIC the Hedgehog - So much wasted potential it's not even funny. Only good thing that came out of this was Shadow's controls and Silver. However, Super Silver still looks kinda gay. EDIT: OH WAIT! That's right, Spin Attack doesn't work in this game. Therefore, it's AUTOMATICALLY the worst Sonic game ever created.

THE WINNERS

5. Sonic 2 - Because REAL Spin Dash makes you awesome. Also gave use the sweetness that is Super Sonic.

4. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - This took SA2 and made it more awesome. Using Metal Sonic is a grand joy, and Shadow is at his best here, no doubt.

3. Sonic R - Metal Knuckles. Nuff said

2. Sonic Rivals 2 - Best Sonic game since SA2:B. Srsly. I bought a PSP just for this and it's predecessor. Best decision I made in a long time. This game singlehandedly addresses nearly every complaint with modern Sonic. Got only a smidge of flaws, but I enjoy it a whole bunch.

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - because Knuckles's final boss is a Super State, and that's AWESOME. Also real Spin Dash, and not just Super Sonic (in all levels I might add), but Super Knuckles AND Super Tails. This was old school Sonic at it's best here.

Honorable Mentions:
    Sonic Adventure - this was a great game all around, but SA2 did the Sonic parts better. Also Super Sonic should have been in all levels. However, Perfect Chaos kicks the crap out of every Super Sonic battle since then with the exception of the 360 Unleashed.

Sonic Rush - Actually, I think the Rush games kinda suck, especially in comparison to the Rivals, but damn if Sonic Rush doesn't have sex with your ears while you play it. Best Sonic soundtrack ever.

Sonic Advance - If Super Sonic were available in levels this would stand a fair chance of beating S3K. I really like the modern character designs.

14. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Top 5:
    1 - Sonic 1 (bonus points for the Sonic Jam version with spindash)
    2 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    3 - Sonic Adventure
    4 - Sonic 2
    5 - Sonic 1 SMS/GG

Honorable mention: Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance (the original), Sonic R (though that isn't really a Sonic game as much as it's a racing game with Sonic slapped on it)

Bottom 5:
    1 - Sonic 1 GBA/Sonic Genesis (ugh...)
    2 - Sonic Heroes (the team concept is horrible and needs to die kthx)
    3 - Sonic Blast (do I even have to comment?)
    4 - Knuckles' Chaotix (the ring-band thing is also horrible and also needs to die)
    5 - Sonic 3D (horrible controls/physics, retarded flicky collection system, overall doesn't feel fast at all)

Dishonorable mention: Sonic Rush, Sonic Spinball

(Note that I never played a lot of the newer games, ergo the lack of references to several known bad games such as Sonic Labyrinth or Sonic 06)

15. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    I don't entirely understand why Shadow gets the flack it does. Yes, the plot and premise are stupid, but I find it to be much more fun than Heroes, Rush, or '06. For one, it's PLAYABLE; I didn't encounter any glitching, load screens, or bad physics. I can only remember one instance of frame-chugging. Also, it manages to keep the Sonic speed with a new twist (guns), combining them so they're both pretty fun. There are no "YOU'RE GRINDING!!!!!!! FOR FIVE MINUTES" sections; even when you are grinding, you're also shooting and transferring to other rails (and transferring actually WORKS, as opposed to flinging you off a cliff).
    The only truly poorly-designed part of the game, in my book, is the Black Doom bossfight where you just have to homing attack him for hours on end. Even then, I'm pretty sure I was doing it wrong.

If you ignore THAT DAMN FOURTH CHAOS EMERALD and THE COMPUTER ROOM!!!!, it's at least fun. And not annoying (Heroes constant chatter) and unplayable.
    Compare it to, say, Sonic '06 where THE GAMEPLAY IS BROKEN WHY CAN'T I STOP MOVING OH GOD PHYSICS ENGINE and Sonic Heroes where OH GOD I JUST FELL OFF A CLIFF OH GOD WHY WON'T THEY SHUT UP OH GOD WHY DO I HAVE TO KEEP THROWING KNUCKLES OH GOD I CAN'T LAND ON THIS RAIL.

I understand it's an opinion-based thing, and I'm not telling you what games to like, but I just can't understand why someone who likes SA2 would rate Shadow lower than '06 or Heroes.

16. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Shadow was the only Sonic game I played that crashed from normal gameplay.

It's also one of two game where I fell though the floor and died (the other being 06)

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've only died maybe twice based on glitches in Sonic Heroes. I will agree the controls aren't great, but either my controller is absolutely magical or I'm good at just moving slightly -- the key is not to overcorrect. Doing that even makes the often irritating special stage controls mostly manageable.

18. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    Out of curiosity, what version? I've only played the Gamecube version, and I've heard there were issues with the other versions.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    PC version. May have had a couple tweaks before it was released since it came out later than the console version.

20. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
    Happy Memories:
    1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    2. Sonic 2
    3. Sonic Adventure
    4. Sonic CD
    5. Sonic on the Game Gear

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine broke the ice at a party once, amazingly, saving my love life in the process.

Nauseating to even think about:
    1. Shadow the Hedgehog
    2. Sonic Genesis (GBA and cell phone version)
    3. Sonic '06
    4. Sonic Adventure 2 (surprising I know, but this is where I stopped paying attention)
    5. Sonic Spinball earns the distinction of being the first hateable Sonic game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.