don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    What I wanna know is why they ADDED werehog stages O_o

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie

NO FUCKING WAY

I was coming in here to bitch about this very level. Just finished it. They respawn for a long time in that level.

The 4 keys are fucking hidden as hell. Want to know where they are? Because it was annoying finding them.

3. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Wow I was way off huh?

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I just need to find a good strategy to kill them all (namely the bee, because I still can't hit them for shit). I may just go back and do other levels and get stronger first. Yay, grinding in a Sonic game, who would've thought?

5. Vinsent

Vinsent

I don't think you even need to kill the bees in the upper area to complete the level since no stones are hidden up there :)

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Wait, are you serious?

7. Vinsent

Vinsent

Yeah. I found it out after I killed them all too :)

8. ...SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO FINISH THE FUCKING LEVEL WITH THE FOUR ROBOTS THAT SPAWN OVER AND OVER
    Is that the stage everyone above me is talking about?

9. Sokaris

Sokaris

Here is a man who stood up. Member
    With robots you may be talking about eggmanland, theres a breakable wall with a lever in it you need to pull.

10. Sorry, I wasn't specific. Mazurai Act 1, nighttime. It's near the end of the stage. I kill four robots, they spawn. I kill them again, they spawn. One more time if I'm lucky and then I die.
    There's no where to go and I've ran around, destroying every piece of crap in it. I feel really dumb, but I'm in a square section of the stage locked out with repeatingly spawning robots. I know there's something I'm missing.

11. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Oh, that one. Ignore the ones with the shields and go after the ones with the chainsaws first.

Seriously, that's all you have to do. Killing the ones with shields afterward is a piece of cake.

12. I LOVE YOU! Let's get gaymarried. <3 Thanks for the tip, glad to see that they only spawn for so long. I was under the impression I had to do something special other than kill them repeatedly, since the creatures you can throw spawn infinitely.

13. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I hate you guys :)

14. Hey, at least you only paid 29.99 (or less)
    Although, I did get the 360 version for 34 bucks after tax.

15. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Preordered the 360 version, should be getting it on Friday. I can see this being the longest week since the runup to the last episode of Doctor Who. This topic has me so fired up for the game it's unbelievable. And I manage to find the fun even in the worse Sonic games, so one that's genuinely brilliant should be a real blast.

16. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    My thoughts entirely. I'm buying the game in my lunch break at work on Friday, so Friday afternoon will be hell, knowing the game is in my desk drawer.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The good thing about the Werehog is that it's NOT impossible to get a good rank after you die. After a certain point, yes it is. But for the most part, all you need to do are a bunch of critical attacks to rank up points if you're in desperation, especially on the big enemies (Those are worth 40000 points sometimes).

Anyways, let's talk about the good and the bad for this game (360)

Pro:
    Sonic's gameplay is almost spot on, just need a little more refining next time

Werehog is not too bad to play as. A fun beat em up that if you actually try different button combos you can make it seem less repetitive

Hub worlds are kinda interesting

Plot doesn't take a super serious turn for once

Game doesn't suffer from too much bottomless pit syndrome, which means not as many cheap deaths

The game is beautiful. Hands down the prettiest Sonic game ever made

Perfect art direction

Cons:
    Sonic is a bit too slippery

Getting a rank S as Sonic is near impossible... but I kinda suck :P

Framerate dips. While some areas may have been fixed (Example, Apotos runs fine, unlike the E3 version), not all of them have. Areas which have running water mostly experience these dips, and for some reason both cutscenes involving Amy. So expect framerate drops in the following areas:
    Chun-nan Hub
    Empire City Hub
    Abadat
    luckily, most of these dips are not in the levels themselves, so it's more excusable.

Werehog stretchiness doesn't work 100%. I also overestimate how far he can go and I forget to double jump, resulting in death.

If you are not good, expect to take some time for the werehog levels. Empire ctiy took me 30 minutes to beat (Unlike previous games, the clock keeps running when you die). If you are good however, the levels won't take as long, but they will still take a while (If you cut out side tracking for medals and dying, you can easily beat the levels in a time of anywhere from 5-15 minutes). In the end though, you will spend more time playing as the werehog than Sonic, although the level distribution is about even this time, unlike the Wii version. This game's gameplay is much more like 50:50, where as the Wii is more like 70:30

Sun and moon medals required to progress the plot D:

There are some cheap deaths. Often with the werehog (You couldn't jump soon enough because you were on the collapsable pole at a strange spot, you couldn't reach the handle because you were too far away at the time although you thought you could make it, you grab onto the pole but because you went underwater you still die, mix up this game's controls with the Wii's controls) but some with Sonic (Slippery Ice in Holoska is odd to get used to, Shamar). Keep in mind though, werehog getting stuck on a pole is fixable in like 2 seconds. this isn't like Knuckles in Sonic 06 now.

The pros far outweigh the cons, and while the werehog doesn't play 100% (more like 90-95), he's still a solid character. Unlike the past couple games, you can tell that effort was put into this game. The cutscenes are great, the game runs pretty well, and the game looks beautiful. For me, this game ranks up there with the likes of SA1 and SA2. If in the next game they simply tighten up Sonic's controls, get rid of beat em ups (Or give them to Knuckles), and fix the framerate, we'll have the perfect 3D Sonic game.

I'm going to give this game a B. Doesn't rank up with the classics but it's a step in the right direction. We definitely should keep this director for more Sonic games. The man knows what he's doing. Also I bet that the framerate will be fixed once they get used to the Hedgehog engine a bit more and refine it a bit. It is an excellent graphics engine.

On a closing note. THIS is Sonic's official model. Do not change it again Sega. You nailed it this time so stop playing around with it. Actually, most of the character models in this game are very well done. I love the art style. Keep it please.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

I can not help but wonder what the reward is for getting all S ranks and medallions. There has to be a good prize other than a trophy/achievement. Hopefully we will soon find out.

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Let me say that Holaska Act 2, a Sonic mini-level, is pretty intense. The whole time, you have to be running over the water while dodging all these spikes and ice columns and the occasional gimmick. Thing is, it gets harder after every "lap" and they do some pretty wicked curve balls. Was extremely fun though; got an S-Rank on my first "go" (does not include all the deaths from messing up or falling victim to a trap.)

Also, I'm having a tiny bit of a hard time trying to get an S-Rank on Apotos Act 1 (the "intro" level.) I can never get more than 14,500, despite having sped up exponentially and having the ability to stomp, wall kick (not really useful here), and Air Boost. Any tips on how to make it clear 15,000, which I assume is the S-Rank minimum?

20. Cap

Cap

^^^ Try a different approach. Sometimes if you go for flat out speed its harder to get an S rank. Sometimes slowing down, and getting points for enemies and rings works much better.

I've been trying to get all A's in Sonic Heroes for the last few weeks (re-bought the game). I got all A ranks in the normal modes, I just have to do all the extra missions now. So I have an idea of how randomly hard some levels get, for top ranking.

Also, pre-ordering this tonight. Its gonna be a long wait till friday. =(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.