don't click here

Sonic 3D: no flickies hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sik, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Yeah, flickie collecting for points sort of makes the most sense. I mean, that allows people to grab those items that are out of reach without flickies. Pretty cool that someone made this type of hack though.

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Man, Hacktube does NOT like layers. You can see Sonic inside a tunnel.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I think that HackTube does respect layers, but applies the priority to the entire images (e.g. an entire sprite, the entire scroll tilemap, etc.) rather than doing it in a per-pixel basis x_X

Also, wiki'd: Sonic 3D: No Flickies

4. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Now just make it so you can use the homing attack without the yellow shield and we'll be in business. :)

5. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I had that idea since months and Tweaker told me to do that when I first released this hack. I'm gonna repeat it: not for now. I tried to do it, and even found the code that does the homing attack. The problem is that it seems that the code is way too stuck to the yellow shield, and moving it without breaking anything would be extremely hard. So I'm afraid that isn't gonna happen soon, as I'll have to find out a way to be able to move it without crashing the game =[

6. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Good job on the hack. I'm eager to see how this plays.

Also I thought the game was just fine with the Flicky-collecting, honestly. I tend to play Sonic more methodically than most (or all platformers, really), and the game was basically designed for that. Although, making an actual Sonic game with the 3D gameplay could be an interesting concept... you'll still have to modify the level design to work with that, but, hey, baby steps.

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Sik, you have ruined the game for me.

I can't play the original now without being utterly pissed off at missing a badnik/flicky and having to trawl back through the level to find it.

This hack is win.

NOW, you'll have to keep us posted on whatever S3D hacking stuffs you find. I'm holding out for a tile/level editor a la SonEd... I can live the dream :)

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Jman is working on the decompression (that dude is better than me at figuring out what the code does). DRX once told me that 95% of the compressed stuff uses the same algorithm (being the missing 5% the three FMVs), IIRC, so we may be able to edit the levels soon =O Though thanks to a mean phone bill you will most likely have no news from me until December ._. (posting through mobile phone).

The editor would be quite different from SonED though, trust me. Level graphics are made out of 32x32 tiles, while the main collision is a 128x64 height map. Huh.

9. SonicLegend

SonicLegend

I have always hated the "Collect the flickies" concept of Sonic 3D, and I am really impressed that you have removed the flickies from Sonic 3D, as now I can just proceed through the game as a normal Sonic game, albeit an easy one.

10. tech3475

tech3475

the only level I ever like of S3D was panic puppet act 2. That was how the game should have been made.

Maybe a future idea (if possible) would be to design new levels with this concept?

I still think Sega should just gives us the source code for the genesis games and make something decent/updated out of them rather than Sonic collection 9456

11. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    I seem to disagree with everyone else on this topic, but I kind off liked the flicky collecting of Sonic 3D, not as good as the classic 2D side scrollers, I give you that, but it was still a nice change of pace.

Any way, I can see why people will like this hack, I find it really good at a technical perspective, as Sonic 3D doesn't have that much info on the programming code, so it is very impressive.

The only thing that I dislike about this is that it doesn't really leave much of a game at all, as the levels are in fact really short, obviously no fault of your own, but of the fact that the game evolves around collecting flickies to lengthen the time you are present in a level.

Anyway keep up the good work!

12. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    Not to mention, I get hit a lot more often because I don't have to be, you know, careful about not getting hit (it's so damn annoying that you have to recapture your flickies).
    That said, it's a really great hack. After downloading it I played through the whole thing in one sitting, because I love Sonic 3D so much. Maybe if you ever do figure out how the level layouts work you could maybe try and create some zones more like in the regular Sonic games, maybe recreate GHZ in 3D (since that's never been done before). I remember seeing a complete set of rendered s1 badniks that were meant to be used in a game like s3d.

13. WyraachUr

WyraachUr

Dark Dragon God Wyraach Ur Member
    If Sonic Jam ever had Sonic 3D on it, I have a feeling that this could have been the game's Easy mode. Or it would have you looking for at least 1 Flicky to find buried somewhere in each zone. Nice work :rolleyes:

14. GIHunter

GIHunter

Uhh, did you entirely miss SA2B? There is a 3d GHZ in it, you know.

15. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    I was being sarcastic. Thank you for taking the bait.
    And I was thinking of an isometric remake of s1, anyway. That would be cool.

16. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I tried making a Sonic 1 to Sonic 3D conversation, it was only a palette edit with minor sprite edits but it did fit pretty well (Green Hill - Green Grove, Marble - Rusty Ruin, etc)

And you could always steal the isometric sprites from Sonic Edusoft. :P

17. RamiroR

RamiroR

This is maybe, the best hack I could have seen, it's amazing.

It's a pain to find all those damn flickies to pass the level

Good hack!

18. VERY NICE. It was truly a pain to find all them flickies.

Although, there is some issues with just removing the flickies.

Some Life icons are too high now, some shortcuts should be removed to make the level longer, and at the end there is still a "Flicky Bonus" that should not exist anymore.

Other than those issues, the game is awesome.

19. Not to mention the endless SRB2 levels.

I think a 3D rendition of Sonic 1 would be quite good, and not too hard either. only real issue is the final boss, because you can't really get crushed from the bottom.

20. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Well, the deal where flickies walk around the level without being collectable is true to the Sonic games. Cause that is what they do in the side scrolling games. But the uncollectable medals is a real design flaw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.