don't click here

Sonic 3D: no flickies hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sik, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    YESH!
    http://srb2town.sepwich.com/junk/s3dhack.zip

I finally made it! =D I got rid of the stupid "collect all flickies" system! Now all non-boss levels play like Panic Puppet 2 =O

Gameplay changes:
    • Big rings don't take into account the amount of flickies anymore, they always allow you to continue. So now they're basically checkpoints.
    • Enemies still release flickies; however, you can't collect them. So now they're merely scenery.
    • No more flicky HUD =P
    • The last tube in Gene Gadget 1 can be passed at any time now, as you can't collect flickies (and requiring them would sorta kind of defeat the purpose of this hacking).
    So yeah, that's it. I should remove the Flicky Bonus from the tally score but right now that's out of my reach =P Whatever, I guess I did a very good job already =] I would put up how to achieve this but right now the doc is a mess, despite being just an indication of what to patch for each of the above things I mentioned =&

Anyways, now go and play =P

PS: if you want to help, remember that on the SVN there's my very early Sonic 3D disasm work. But it's an IDA file because it's too early and IDA makes things a lot easier, so if you want to help, don't complain about binary blobs, please >_>

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    This is a fantastic concept, and I feel like I can actually enjoy this game now. Excellent work, Sik—I'm glad to see all your research paid off! ;)

3. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Please excuse me while I shit myself.

Really awesome. Except now some areas are pointless without the flickies. =P

4. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    =D

Whatever, tell me what things I didn't catch, OK? Some are too far right now for me at this moment though.

Right now what I have:
    • Flicky Bonus still in score tally
    • FIXED.
    • The game won't release all flickies (5 guaranteed, more may or may not appear, undefined behaviour it seems o_O)

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Don't get rid of the Flicky bonus -- otherwise there would be no reason to collect them!

Oh, and I recall when you showed me the related codes on IRC or whatever. Cool shit.

6. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    You can't even collect them now...

7. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    This is the best thing you have ever done. And I don't even know anything else you may have done, but this takes the cake. Maybe I can actually play through the game and have fun now.

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    When it comes to Sonic 3D, I made a custom boss too (in a lame hack D=). I also made a post with a lot of information about Sonic 3D, mainly RAM variables. So yeah, in some sense I'm sorta kind of Sonic 3D guy. Outside that I made some MD ROMs, but honestly there isn't much progression in them =[ The one that had most progression was lost in an unavoidable HD crash >_>

9. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Holy crap... S3D is a decent game once you strip away the layer of crap that is the Flicky mechanic,

This is awesome. ;)

10. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Fixed Special Stage bug, go redownload =P

11. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    How are we going to be able to collect all those spinning Sonic head icons above springs if we don't have the flickies to extend our reach with? Just a thought.

EDIT:
    Perhaps you could make springs bounce you extra high, or lower the rotating Sonic head icons so they are within reach.

12. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I just noticed, the intro song for this game (11 Intro/Panic Puppet Zone Act 1: Song by J.Seno, Arrange by J.Seno) is Twinkle Cart. Probably sorta common knowledge.

...It makes me want to play some Sonic Adventure.

E: wait, the "Game Over" track from this game is the same one that Sonic 3K used, so if "J. Seno" is Jun Senoue, he forgot about one of his contributions.

13. ...This game is 1000000000x more fun without those goddamn birds. Just being able to cruise along at a nice, fast, pace allows one to enjoy the levels a lot more. Flickies make the game too damn slow. Without them, the game feels a lot more... Sonicish.

Wonderful, fantastic work.

14. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Green Grove Act 1 is Windy Valley, too. =P

Anyway, this hack is just awesome. Getting rid of those dang Flickies makes the game... almost enjoyable. Being able to reach the floating Sonic heads would be nice, though.

15. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Lovely work, so your rambling about Sonic 3D at me did have a purpose ;)

Oh also, hacktube release plz!

16. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Lets try Sonic 3D again...mmm... *thinks* Love about the flicky shit... but, where is the challenge? ._. ... I mean, the S3D Stages aren't for "hit and run", love the concept about no flickies, but without them, the game is too easy.

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

The only thing left to be done is to make all the continues reachable, and to remove the Flicky Bonus.

18. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Perhaps it has been commented before but... what happens with those medals that required flickies to be caught? Will be they be reachable in a future version?

19. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    About the unreachable medals: my idea was that once I had enough information, actually edit the levels too. But I also wanted to get rid of this and trying to find out how took me two freaking years - no kidding. I knew where the RAM address was and even had a PAR code for it, but for some reason the correct instructions didn't pop up in the searches. Luckily this time I had the idea of doing a "search all" and then sort by instruction, which helped a lot =P

The only thing I don't understand is, why does Panic Puppet 2 have code that checks the number of flickies chasing Sonic when there aren't any flickies in that level? o_O

Good point. Whenever I remember where is it (translation: gimme the URL) =P

20. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.