don't click here

DirectX 10 Effects on XP?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Bibin, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Skaarg

Skaarg

I think he's pointing out how nvidia drivers cause so many system crashes. 90% of the blue screens I've seen on any of my computers have been related to a nForce chipset or nVidia video card.

To be honest to nVidia problems for me aren't just limited to Windows I've experienced several problems with nVidia drivers under linux too.

2. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    nVidia drivers work fine for me, have ever since I got this PC, which has a GeForce 8600 GT.

Also, I do not think the people porting DX10 have quit, I found an update about a few days back which fixed an error with Spider-man Web of Shadows. :thumbsup:

3. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I don't think this is my graphics card - that has not changed since I reinstalled XP. It's an Nvidia 7300GS with 512MB ram.

4. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    The C64 can do light sourced enviromental mapped bump mapping in the hands of a clever programmer, but that didn't turn the 3dfx Voodoo into a joke.

DX9 has just been around for so fucking long that they exploited all kinds of shit from it, including the things that dx10 does better.

That, and there have been NO games so far running natively on dx10. Every dx10 game so far was using dx9 codebase, switching to dx10 mode just increased shader precision (that's why you got better looking shadow effects and 50% performance drop). It also didnt help that first gen dx10 cards handled the increased shader precision like the geforce fx handled Pixelshader 2.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sure there is. Vista adoption. =P

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Or that it's just a waste of time in general.

7. No, I didn't want to point out the errorness (it only happened once or twice when (trying) to play CS:Source on this oldass machine.

It's just that XP supports this feature too.

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Last time I checked the DX docs, Direct3D 10 (NOT DirectX 10) has pretty much the same features as Direct3D 9 - except things are theoretically easier and it also drops a lot of stuff Microsoft decided to consider deprecated (including things like triangle fans). Also it has two more texture compression formats IIRC. Probably there's some more stuff (e.g. shader model 4), but you get the idea.

9. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    How about I just ask this, then.

If I randomly received Halo 2 for the PC, would there be a way to get it to run on my XP computer? Because forcing people to adopt Vista for a not-so-great game like that is all kinds of BS.

10. Skaarg

Skaarg

Yeah there's and XP Loader. I don't believe I have it anymore otherwise I'd send it to you. If I recall everyone of those Vista only games are just an OS version check. So you just need the XP Loader to fake your OS version.

11. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    There is an xp loader for halo 2 but it craps up at the gravemind scene, keeps asking for the disc. You can only play half the game with it.

12. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    My past experiences with Vista/DX10 are as follows, my laptop became a great range-top stove/corner heater. Is DX10 worth it? Hell no! Why push it? Because DX10 was pretty much Vista's only selling point, and even then what you got were little tweaks graphically.