What if one day Sega comes here and...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by nineko, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I was wondering...
    Capcom came across Blood On The Asphalt, and they contacted OverClocked ReMix to compose the soundtrack for Street Fighter 2 HD (I'll skip the Super Turbo Remix crap). That's pretty inusual, a big gaming company that decides to support something that's not much more than a fansite.
    So yeah, I was wondering, what if someday Sega comes here, and say something like "hey, we saw all your hacks, we'd like to put some of them in a new compilation we're going to release since we like to use Sonic as a cash cow", or "dudes, sort out the best stuff you have there and prepare a new Sonic game for the Genesis, we'll release it on cartridge for nostalgia on the 20th birthday of the Genesis" or stuff like this. Basically, what if someone at Sega is impressed by our works, and asks us to use some of our material in any form?
    Who would accept to see his stuff released by Sega themselves? On one hand, one would be proud to see his name in the credits for an official game, on the other hand one may be disappointed that you aren't likely to get any money from this.

Now, I asked a question, I provide also my point of view about this.
    Personally, I would be proud if Sega decides to use some of my conversions in an actual Sonic game, and I wouldn't mind about not being paid at all, I'd rather prefer to receive a Sonic 1 beta or a Sonic 3 beta :p

What about you?

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I've always thought about that every now an then. In the case of anything Sonia related, I wouldn't need a credit in the world it it meant more exposure for the character (LET ME DREAM DAMMIT)

Anything else, I'd just ask for only a line in the credits. That's good enough for me.

3. Shade

Shade

"Oh hey, look at this Sonic 1 source code over here"

4. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    If they wanted our help for real? Weell... that'd be just great, but I'd be afraid of legal shenanigans...

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, don't forget that asking us to make a new game for them would mean getting access to TONS of original material (think Megamix for one) potentially for free since what we're doing right now isn't exactly legal, you know.
    The day Sega decides to release a new Sonic game for the Genesis, they would have a lot of advantages to ask us rather than asking so-called "professional" programmers. Not to mention that we already have a lot of stuff which is already usable, so production lead times would be very short. I say this is a real possibility, they probably know about Sonic Retro in some form.

6. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    They would probably instead just leech off the ideas here, replicate them themselves, and put it out knowing since the original material is theirs in the first place, no one could take legal action.

7. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    I don't see it as comercially viable unless they wanted to put something like Esrael's Sonic 2 hack or the Knuckles in Sonic 1 into the collection. You know, something that expands on what is already there?

I'll admit I don't know much about the present-day rom hacking community, and what it produces besides Sonic Megamix.

8. Vangar

Vangar

They probably wouldn't have contracted OCRemix if they had a forum full of game hacks, betas, ISOs and roms available for people to download and rip wide open. You know, stickied on the top of General.

I love it there, but Sega would come here and sue us rather then contract anyone.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I don't think it's in Sega's nature to create new MegaDrive games. They probably don't even know how to anymore. They could bundle a few hacks with one of their emulators but it's unlikely, especially when even Sonic 1 MegaMix would need editing for copyright reasons. The majority of hacks out there still look like the official games to some degree.

I think they're more likely to take inspiration of fangames, I.e. the ones built from scratch. The best thing I could see happening is them pulling a MegaMan 9, and create a brand new classic Sonic for WiiWare/XBLA/PSN, and I think the best way of them doing that with minimum effort on their part would be to get things like Retro Sonic XG or Sonic Nexus up there. But again, it's pretty unlikely.

10. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Hacks are something different than mere remixes. Aka legal headache.

Plus the Sega you speak of (SOA, I presume) has neither the source code you'd like them to have nor the prototypes you'd like them to have.

11. Yuzu

Yuzu

I think they would be pissed off and angry, oh and would probably try to shut the site down and fail. =P

12. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Sega are fully aware of this place and what it does, I'm confident.

I mean, when SAdv. 3 beta leaked, I posted on the SonicStuff forums saying that I would send it to people if they emailed me. The result? A C&D via email.

13. Rokkan

Rokkan

The difference is that Capcom listen to their fans. Hello? They made Megaman 9 and even stated that they wouldn't bitch about their characters on MUGEN. SEGA just don't care about them. That stated, I think they already know the existance of this website and just said "meh" and closed the browser.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    ...Sega listens to their fans, which is how the Shadow game came about.

The problem is that they have so many different fans that they can't please everyone.

I think they keep better tabs on this site than you do.

15. Then they better hurry the hell up and put Dudley and Dee Jay into Street Fighter IV.

16. Yeah, that ould be great if they came along and asked to use my stuff! I mean...

Hold on. I've done zilch. I wish I had more time...

How the hell you decide on that? It depends though, if it was like S2B it would maybe be worth it. If it was like most other proto builds, you'd've been screwed.

This made me realise, it's funny that there are no members who are affiliated with Sega in any way... are there?

17. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    I think SEGA would find all the Sonic the Hedgehog hacks on the site and put them on the next Sonic release compilation to please fans more than any 3D Sonic game coming out.
    Or more realistically they will steal from the wiki then attempt to sue the site to try to gain ownership and lose.

18. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Chances are, given how long Sonic Retro's been around, Sega's already been here at least once.

19. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    That, I highly doubt.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Is that what I said? Silly me, I mistyped. I meant to say "better than you think".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.