don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Because it's not in your signature for all to see, right?

Also, I'm not going to use some shitty compromise and use some other deformation! I'll get my own deformation!

2. Might be easier to do it in ASM, as you can 'see' what you are editing. :(

3. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    It's rather hard to get HPZ working in a disassembly... damn ASM.

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    This post says that it is easy.
    Unfortunately the files don't exist, but I might still have them, if not you can just use Esrael's disassemblies & TSDC.

5. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Fixed.

Seriously, its 1000 times easier in ASM than hex..

6. Twilight

Twilight

Michigan
    A Sonic the Hedgehog hack
    I can use that post as a basis for restoring Wood Zone too. How do I fix that messed up collision at the ramp in Wood Zone?

7. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Hey there, I've recently had another look at my Rom hack, it all builds fine and all but, when I play GHz for 8 seconds (Any act) it gives me the Illegal Instruction Error. (Doesn't Happen on any other level) Anyway, it says that the bad instruction is at 00079A4C, is there any way of finding that instruction in my assembly file? I've tried the Hex to Assembly reference on the wiki but it hasn't really guided me.

Any idea how to go about doing this?

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I've ported over Tails' animation script from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, except that the game freezes when Tails goes down a slope or loop-de-loop:
    [​IMG]
    Anyone know how to fix this?

9. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    The byte at address $79A4C is part of the Sega intro sound (info here - Just above it). That byte should have a value of $9A. That's about it, really.

Hope this helps.

10. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Since you've changed stuff in the game, the best thing you can do is guess. Using this directive:
    Code (ASM):
    1.     inform  0,"$%h",*
    for ASM68K, or this directive:
    Code (ASM):
    1.     message "$\{*}"
    for AS, you can tell the address of the following instruction/data. The address will appear in the console when you build your ROM. You may want to add pause at the end of your build.bat to prevent the console from closing, if it's not there already.

11. Adam2k7

Adam2k7

Walsall UK
    Sonic Adventures EX, Sonic 2 Redemption Edition
    hello, I hope this is the right place to post this. I am working on a Sonic 2 hack using the 2007 Dissasembly and wish to port the Knuckles object - only problem is there dosnt seem to be a public dissasembly of Sonic 2 & knuckles. My question is dose anybody know how IDA works so I can make a dissasembly? or does anybody have one I could use? Thank you for your time.

12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Puto made a disassembly of Sonic 2 & Knuckles, get it here.

13. Adam2k7

Adam2k7

Walsall UK
    thank you, I am getting there... I think I need to rename some of the labels so they don't clash at build time. Right my next problem is the level select menu - I have added HPZ and WZ as per guides and at the moment have them linked to the special stage and the sound test, I would like to know how to edit them to have there own entries on the level select screen as the only way I have been able to do it so far was by using ese2 on my built rom, thats kind of daft seeing as I am using a dissasembly. Any help or information would be greatly apreciated. thank you.

14. The level select text is stored as an Enigma compressed plane map, which is pretty easy to modify once you know the format. Additionally, there are also data structures for stuff like highlighting and selection info. You can read up on the basics at SCHG:Sonic 2/Text Editing#Level_Select_Text, and feel free to ask here for more details, since that just goes over everything in brief.

EDIT: Just remembered this post by qiuu which explains everything in detail, reading that should probably make everything clear.

15. Adam2k7

Adam2k7

Walsall UK
    Thank you very much that has done the trick - I am steaming ahead now thanks to everybody here being so helpful. On to my next question... I would like to add the sonic retro logo and theme at the beggining just like in Megamix (Awesome work that Tweaker and co :( by the way) does anybody have the code and tiles for it that I can use? if not the code then the tiles and the tune would be great. Thank you.

16. I'm pretty certain only Tech Members are permitted to use that screen, sorry.

17. The fuck? That's pretty gay. What if I find a way to do it myself and put it on S2R? What are you gonna do then hm? :V

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Someone choosing who to share their own work with? Blasphemy, clearly!

19. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    It doesn't really matter, a hack can be good without a "Sonic Retro" splash screen. :thumbsup:

20. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    It's only an overused screen mode.
    The screen doesn't make your hack awesome, soniNeko's awesome with good music & cats in Labyrinth Zone but that doesn't have the Sonic Retro splash screen. :thumbsup: