don't click here

My first attempt

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Galaxia, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    OK, this is my first ever attempt at ROM hacking- no fancy ASM just yet.

Changes:
    - Chemical Plant Zone is the only zone playable via ordinary means, just because this isn't a full hack.
    - Sonic 3 inspired layouts!
    - Uh... Oil Ocean Zone music!
    - Blast processing!

Uh... yeah. This is essentially just a CPZ redo, and it's here to show my first effort off. Be kind. :(

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Download Link

2. I'm liking these edits. Can you design CPZ for me? ;D

3. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    That CPZ palette looks a lot like mine... I'll probably be changing mine, though.

4. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    I like the colour scheme, It is a nice dark blue shade which doesn't clash with Sonic or with other background objects.

I also liked the layout as well. It rarely feels bland, which is a problem most first attempts suffer from. It always feels like if there is something on screen. Be it an item box, an enemy or some spikes. There are also no cheap shots or deaths which made it rather enjoyable. It's a bit buggy at the moment, but I feel potential in this hack.

The only thing I find weak at the moment is the no-screen box, which hurts you. It would be better as a Robotnik icon.

5. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    LOL, that's not intentional, sorry man :(

The Robotnik and static monitors do both; just a matter of preference I guess :v:

6. Flygon

Flygon

They were very simple, and to be honest, I loved it. Yet again another fresh level layout :P

7. Graxer

Graxer

I shot up from below to here:

[​IMG]

Went into the yellow and black striped tube you can see. Now I'm stuck out of the top of the screen walking backwards and forwards.

Also:

[​IMG]

If you jump forward at this point and land on the part where the pipe flattens out (which I did first time) you end up back near the beginning of the level. To fix this (if using SonED) I would change the layer Sonic is on when he enters that area so the pipe is solid and change back when he has passed it. This may be intentional though.

Other than that, love the layouts! :thumbsup: It would be great to see this hack being taken futher!

8. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    I really like the palette you made.

9. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    I'm actually pretty amazed the download link is still up.

That'll be my fault, I didn't want to use the same solid tiles so I probably put that there to compensate against monotony, not realizing it wasn't fully solid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.