don't click here

Does anything out there "display" Genesis sound output?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by José the Bronx Rican, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Bless all the state-of-the-art Genesis emulators out there. However, the reason I'm still sad to have seen Genecyst disappear is because of its one unique feature: the function where it displays a precise readout of all the sounds generated by the emulated YM2612 and PSG channels, in real time. The ASDR levels of each of the 4 operators on each FM channel, the oscillators used, even the LFOs were all represented. All that gave me a crystal-clear idea of how the "instruments" were programmed, and was invaluable while I was creating MIDIs for vgmusic.com in the early 00's. Although we all can isolate any sound channel during chiptune playback or ripping, I miss seeing the exact breakdown. I don't follow the emulation scene very closely, but AFAIK, there are no emulators nowadays that do the same thing, and there won't be an XP Genecyst. That's what I'm asking: if there's anything out there right now that does that kind of thing... perhaps a .gym or .vgm player I'm not aware of. Thanks.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Gens KMod has an even more detailed feature - it even allows you to save the FM instrument data to a file.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, you can also extract the FM voices from a vgm file, but then you wouldn't see them changing "in real time".

4. Rachel Mae

Rachel Mae

heart of gold, dumb of ass Oldbie
    Henderson, NV
    existing
    As crappy and outdated as those Bloodlust emulators seem now, you have to admit they had some pretty awesome features. It took years for Windows NES emulators to get a real-time PPU viewer, and they still don't allow you to edit tiles. I don't think ROM hacking would be nearly as big as it is today without that little feature, despite all the absolutely horrid hacks it spawned. :P

5. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Well, NESticle lets you edit tiles - I wish others did; it's fun to play around with.

6. Rachel Mae

Rachel Mae

heart of gold, dumb of ass Oldbie
    Henderson, NV
    existing
    Yeah, I know. I meant that no Windows emulators allow you to edit tiles in real-time. It's such a shame...graphics editing is often a lot easier when you can immediately see your changes in action. ;)

7. Flygon

Flygon

You know, I'd like to see many more emulators showing whats going in inside sound channels, assuming it means the notes and so on. I never used Genecyst so uh... yeah. I am kinda unsure on how it works.

8. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

Coming soon.....

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Hello there, KMod ripoff. =P

Actually... if I could make a suggestion, then I'd strongly encourage you to try and replicate the Genecyst graphical sound debugging interface. It was a lot easier to understand, in my opinion, and gave a better representation of the current sound output. It's no algorithm display, but it's something—that's for sure.

10. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    Hi,

Since most people were already fimiliar with Kmod and since I suck and creating UIs so I thought why not just do a KMod-like debugger.

I don't have Genecyst on my PC atm (and feeling too lazy to download it) but I remember that it just displayed level of each channel or something. I don't remember it displayed something in such detail as the KMod.

But at the same time, I am looking for suggestions. And if someone knows how to use Visual Studio and can make a new UI, I will probably integrate in Regen.
    This sort of feature is available in my latest Regen build but you have to edit tiles in hex (and in the VRAM only). Though I can't guarantee it'll make it through to the next release since its quite buggy.

stay safe,

AamirM

11. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I still have the Emucult leetspeak hacks somewhere.