don't click here

The Sixth Annual Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I laughed.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    To be fair, Megamix did have its share of annoying bugs (not that it matters that much now).

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Let's also not forget that bar conspiracy theories, Megamix isn't in dev any more =P

4. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Bah. The winner won't be Megamix, but it'll probably be one of those discontinued hacks anyway...

...or, you know, that one hack...

5. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    Sonic 2 - Advanced Edition will probably win, IMO. I'd say Mega Mix is looking at second. I just hope I win at least a trophy, though I kind of doubt it.

6. I was being sacrastic, dammit

You THINK, right?

*shot*

7. roxahris

roxahris

Doing anything at all
    Actually, take a look at jman2050's page on the wiki...
    "jman2050 is currently active as a programmer with Team Megamix, working primarily on Sonic 1 Megamix."
    Active?! *gasp*

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    It says the same on mine. It's called "too lazy to edit the bloody thing". :P

9. roxahris

roxahris

Doing anything at all
    Bah! It's obviously a secret conspiracy!

10. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    See, I think this means there will be unexpected winners this year. It may not be either Megamix or Advanced Edit.

Of course, I could be reading into this throwaway comment too deeply, and getting my hopes up...

11. Yes, yes let's list them:

Glitch in graphics and objects.
    Going into walls/through floors when at high speeds.
    Horrid loading times.

Yeah...and people hate Sonic 06. :colbert:

I don't know who'll win, but I'm rooting for Advanced Edit.

12. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I lol'd. Porting to SCD might have been nice as a technical feat, but the load times made it a pretty stupid thing to do. I still use the Tech Members' SMD build.

I'm "rooting" for S-Factor, myself.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think it's pretty funny how people are playing the whole "RAH RAH FIGHT THE POWER" deal against Megamix, even though we've gone and raised the bar for technical achievement in Sonic ROM hacking. You can complain about loading times and glitches all you want, but remember that comparing it to Sonic 06 is akin to shoving your foot in your mouth—Megamix was released as a literal work in progress due to various circumstances beyond our immediate control, and all things considered, I actually think the release is fairly stable, despite the small problems it has here and there. No, it's not complete, and it will never be, but you're kidding yourself if that somehow discredits every single bit of work we put into it for you.

By the way, the load times were a conscious choice on our part. There was an easy way to shorten them drastically (and by the way, Sonic CD had load times too... I don't see you complaining about that), but we chose to keep them due to the benefits we received by not keeping them. Suffice to say, it was worth it. And I think waiting a couple of extra seconds to play the game is worth it too—you're just being pedantic.

14. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    What load times? the 2 seconds it takes to boot up the level compared to the minute and a half you get on some new gen consoles?

15. roxahris

roxahris

Doing anything at all
    Takes longer than that for me, and I use the ISO.

16. 1,5 months are over since the dead line.

Where's the results?

*shot*

17. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Some of you might not have noticed that only the first level takes a long time to load (because it has to load the subcpu program), going from one level to another is much faster.

18. That does not alter the fact that it crashes after Dark Fortress Act 3 every fucking time :colbert:

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I have played through the entire game multiple times without encountering any such problems. What copy are you playing?

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I didn't want to make it sound like I was taking a dump on Megamix. Actually overall I'm impressed with what you've all turned out here, though it has faults that I think keep it from being BEST HACK EVAR. Been playing it quite a bit now that I burned it onto a disc.

I WILL say that comparing it to Sonic 06 isn't completely insane, since it too was released in an incomplete state.

Load times, though? Hardly noticed them, especially on the actual hardware.