don't click here

Mega Man X general research topic.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by GoldS, Aug 20, 2008.

1. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
  2. Skaarg

Skaarg

It looks like it has potential, but it looks weird with the bright blue in the background, and then X is bright, but storm eagle is dull.

3. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    Why did you change X's palette?
    And I agree about the bright blue in the background. De-saturate it a bit.

4. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    [​IMG]
    Does this look any better?

I dunno. Because I could. It's based off the coloring of the official art of X.

I could always change it back to where it was.

5. Yuzu

Yuzu

To be honest, I actually like the pallete. Just wondering, anything new at all with the hack?

6. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    There is now: http://neonhoax.eu/BossRush/BossRushRev2.SMC

This new version has palette changes for all 8 of the maverick stages and all weapon palettes.

7. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    For people who complained about dash boots, here's a thing I just did:

http://neonhoax.eu/BossRush/BossRushRev2Dash.SMC

This version has dash boots enabled and gives you 4 more bars of health when you start up.

There will be a way to earn parts and heart tanks when the game is finished.

8. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

9. Skaarg

Skaarg

Wow, it's been a long time since I've played Xtreme 2, but I booted up the game since what was in that video clip was very brief. It does seem like the lost enemy in X2 could be that enemy from Xtreme 2 or something similar.

10. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Behold:

[​IMG]

First meaningful programming change in the game. X no longer walks to the center to start his boss victory behavior: he now starts it from where he's standing, like in the later X games. This allows me to edit boss areas to be more interesting (I.e. not flat).

This was real annoying to change, by the way.

11. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I have q question. Would it be possible to create a level editor for the MegamanX games? I suppose it would be seeing as someone made an attempt but never finished it. Also, has anyone figured out how to do the debug mode? Or is there a action replay/game genie code floating around?

12. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    It would certainly be possible, but as for me writing one:

1. I'd have to find out how to write a utility program to access the rom.
    2. I have to find out where the game is loading/storing the level blocks. I know where the 256x256 blocks that make up the levels and the 32x32 blocks that make up the 256x256 blocks are, but not where the game is arranging the 256x256 blocks in the actual levels.

13. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Looking through the code, I noticed that there were sound effects with IDs beyond A2, which is the maximum you can go to in the sound test. The sounds actually go up to B0 before the IDs loop back again. Sounds A3-AD don't appear to be anything. Sound AE is the music used for the Light Capsule scenes -- I guess it's a sound effect so that the music can keep playing in the background and resume where it was when Light stops talking. AF is the Hadouken sound effect.

Sound Effect B0 is much weirder. It's clearly not used in the game at all, I'm guessing it might be a test of the sound engine.

Take a listen: http://neonhoax.eu/BossRush/MMXDev/B0.mp3

14. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Never mind, just found out where this is stored. Unfortunately the format that Mega Man X uses to store levels makes it a lot harder to create custom levels.

15. Yuzu

Yuzu

I'm sure with a bit of effort it won't be as hard as it looks. Still, you've got a lot further than I got on Megaman X hacking :argh:

16. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    How do I use the patch codes? Do I add them in as cheats? I tired that, and it said it was invalid.

17. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Are you using ZSNES? They should work in the codes menu.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Speaking of this, is there a way to extract all the music code from the game without ripping it in SPC format? I mean, whatever format it uses before everything's loaded into RAM.

From all the "big" old systems, SNES must be the only one where such a task hasn't even been attempted, as far as I know (even if we still can't play the direct Mega Drive rips, they have been made at least for the Sonic disassemblies).

EDIT: Okay, SMS music isn't being directly ripped, either.

19. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Simply put, no.

The only way to make something like that possible would be a stripped ROM file with a few added tables for where to jump when playing music, as far as I know.

Moreso because this isn't code that plays music; it's code that uploads code that plays music.

Not only that, but all formats are different; there are a few known ones (N-SPC, for one) but even then there are some variations on the format.

20. Rachel Mae

Rachel Mae

heart of gold, dumb of ass Oldbie
    Henderson, NV
    existing
    Why hello there, SNSF. :)