don't click here

***Tech Demo Second Release!*** (postbugfix)

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by LOst, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    For now the shader can't be turned off. You have to bug the project lead over and over until they will force me to turn it off. They'll make the call.
    Scrolling will be enabled once an actual level is completed. We are not going to make the same mistake as before, releasing a demo without any "graphics". We lost a lot of interest from it ;)

The spring, as well as the solid blocks have that disadvantage in the original game as well. In Sonic Advance 1, it was changed, and we all know what happened in Sonic Advance 2 (no solids at all). I'll know how to fix it, but I haven't tested what results it could lead to in the long run.

EDIT: Now there has been an update to the release package. Read the first post.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Man, the most rings I can get is ONE. Curse this 18fps limit...

3. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I didnt mean turn off the shaders altogether but to give players the option of having them on or off. Obviously if they are off they loose out on all of the fancy effects, but they would get a huge performance boost.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
  5. kezzzs

kezzzs

I did a lap in about 15 - 20 seconds and I still only got 2 rings

6. Baby Ghost

Baby Ghost

Put Tails in every game! Member
    How exactly do you get these rings? I can't get the video to work in my browser, and I tried downloading it but all I get is the audio.

7. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    Its running without a problem on my computer.
    AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core 2.2GHz
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 3650 512 MB
    64-bit Windows Vista

I tried it on my laptop as well... Didnt run as smooth, cant remeber exact specs, but it's around 2 GHz Intel Duo, 1 GB RAM, some crappy intergrated video card.

Im really impressed on how it really feels like Sonic 2. Great job everyone!

8. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Isn't it cute? It's a Sonic 3 thing. If too many people complain I will fix it. it's a CPU time saver thing that we really don't need but it is original. Probably why Sonic 3 doesn't have any swinging platforms? The closest one I can think of is the Sandopolis's reverse swinging platform.

If you are more interested in this behavior, I suggest you use edit mode in Sonic 3K's Launch Base Zone. There is a platform there that moves diagonally in the edit list. It exists in the game as well but as a floor elevator. Stand at the very edge and watch. This is how original Sonic works and I don't have a problem with it. I see it as if the platform moves too fast, you fall off it if you are at an edge.

I'll make a youtube video later showing how you must do. Trust me, it is hard. It takes a cupple of times. My friend who is really good couldn't get more than 9 rings after 5 tries. Then I gave it a shot on his computer and it took me 4 times before I got 56 rings. I think the key is to stay relaxed. When I am not relaxed it is easierr to do mistakes. You can afford like one 1 second mistake. The rest must be flawless! Around 3-5 laps is needed

Xvid codec is needed to play the video. Fast lap times (climb round).

64-bit! Great! ATI Radeon is the way to go, and it never hurts having 512 MB GFX RAM :(

Crappy intergrated video card = no way.

Svenska: Det är baserat på Sonic 3 & Knuckles motor för att Sonic 2 har alldeles för många svagheter. Tack vare så mycket banor I Sonic 3 & Knuckles så har Sonic fått bug fixar som aldrig varit synliga I Sonic 2, eller Sonic 1. Annars är grunden mycke lika I Sonic 1 till och med Sonic & Knuckles :)

9. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Swedes are everywhere :P Hello from Estonia

I wonder how can I get half speed on a PC that is much inferior to some other peoples' who don't always get half rate even.... ? 9800se is no fancy card... nor 1GHz Celeron...

10. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Hi there!
    I didn't really understand your querstion. Do you want half speed?

Anyway when it comes to Geforce graphics card, I have no clue. Most of my computers have ATI Radeon cards, were the oldest is 9600 pro from 2004-2005 (and runs about 56 fps in the old Tech Demo) and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro from 2004-2005 that runs the latest tech demo at full speed 60 fps.

I would like someone with Nvidia Geforce knowledge to find where the limit goes, by reading what people have told, and also knowing the release dates of the graphics cards as well as what they are capable of handling (in case of shaders and Direct3D 9 support).

That would be really great to have a list of graphics cards that are on the safe side (for now).

For example, Overlord's Geforce II (old old old OLD! Don't get that card) can run the latest tech demo way faster than it should compared to newer graphics cards because it doesn't support pixel shader 2, and by that it is ignored! But graphics cards that have pixel shader 2, but aren't as powerful as I had hoped them to be will run with it and preform badly. It is unfair and stupid I know. But it gives us a lot of information to make the upcoming Alpha release better.

Also for those who want to know how to get Super Sonic, watch this youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srBm2rKVypg

11. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash

Ahh, I just got it working for knuckles, but I can't add a second player for Sonic >.<

Is there anyway to add a second player without a second game controller?

12. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I meant I can get 30FPS on a shitty system, while others don't get that on much more powerful systems... maybe 98SE just kicks ass :P

You may want to add a line in the readme that informs 98SE users that if they use KernelEx, they can run the thing on their PCs.

13. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    Is this going to get widescreen support? It looks kinda funny if I run it in fullscreen... Sonic looks kinda fat :P

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    On the other hand, if there will be a 16:9 version, I hope the 4:3 version won't be discontinued, since awesome people use 4:3 monitors.

15. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Quick question. Fun though I assume a repetitive lap through a reversing-gravity climbing area is supposed to be, what relevance does it have in the gameplay of Sonic 2? I must have missed an area with similar physics.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Seriously? ahahahahahahahahaha! I was wondering why I was able to get more than a few FPS, that makes sense =P

Well, I'll never get to see it thanks to my card sucking. :) Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer... =/

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The engine was ported from Sonic 3, and there's a level in S3K (Death Egg 2) that has inverted gravity.

18. BreakTheChains

BreakTheChains

Wow I have to say that what's been shown so far is just plain beautiful. Except for Sonic who is a very handsome lad. I especially love the background which by itself should be made into a wallpaper for the game hint hint. Maybe for promotional material or something. I'll test it later tonight since I don't feel like starting up Windows.

19. kezzzs

kezzzs

WOOHOO! Cheers for the video - I finally managed to do it!

20. GARY M 9

GARY M 9

For those with OLD PCI/AGP8x slots and cards, I've found a list that would run this tech demo (and final) perfectly at full screen. (Not sure for the nVidia PCI card though)

AGP 8x:

Since AGP 8x has a wide variety of good cards, I've got a list of all the 512MB cards that would run this. ATi cards are better (as they support Direct X 10/10.1 and OpenGL 2.1, but drivers suck and hold the card back a bit. nVidia cards only run Direct X 9 and OpenGL 2.1 but nVidia knows how to get the best of their card unlike ATi.

ATi: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&name=512MB

nVidia http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&name=512MB

PCI:

There's really no choice here for 512MB cards that will run Pixel Shader 2.1 at 60FPS on fullscreen, so these are best. Again, nVidia runs OpenGL 2.1 and Direct X 9 while ATi can do Direct X 10/10.1 (only for Windows 7 if it comes out since old PCs can't run Vista too well, unless you KNOW it can) and OpenGL 2.1.

nVidia http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814139033

ATi http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161238

I was kind of surprised to see a PCI card that could run Direct X 10.1 with Pixel Shader 4.1 and OpenGL 2.1 seeing as how a PCI slot speed is limited.

You might need to get a better GPU heat sink and/or power box with a DVI to VGA adapter if needed for your monitor. (Power box for PCI only seeing as how an AGP slot is fixed at a certain voltage)

As for slots like PCIe x1, PCIe x16, and PCIe x16 2.0, you'll find those pretty easy to find. =P

Edit: I edit way too much on this forum compared to others... oh yeah added that these cards can do OpenGL 2.1. Don't know about nVidia 6/7s running Direct X 10 though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.