don't click here

Amiga Sonic ?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by mcbpete, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcbpete

mcbpete

Musical musicals Member
    Now these two pictures scream "Mock-up" to me but it's the first time I've actually seen any physical evidence of any work on the Amiga version of Sonic:

[​IMG]

Discovered by the folks at unseen64.net

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
  3. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    Here's a translation:
    "The gracious Disney-style character created by the programmers of SEGA for the Megadrive is already having an huge success in many parts of the world (including Italy), due to the high speed and the high fluency Sonic moves with in all the game.
    Already in the last months of 1990, when "SONIC the hedgehog" was shown at several American computer videogame fairs in its first screens, many defined it as likely the best platform game ever seen until today; and I assure you they weren't wrong!
    SONIC was created to contrast the king of the platforms, that like you know is (was) MARIO, and in my opinion he shouldn't have problems to do that! At the end SEGA has decided to reproduce SONIC in arcade version (it isn't common to see a game to play at home later converted to a coin-op), and to concede the license to US GOLD for the recreation of the game in the various formats for computers; I don't think that on computers (except for the PC) they will be able to reach the same levels of speed that you can see on the console [Megadrive], anyway seeing from the photos of the Amiga version that is being programmed that arrived to our editorial office, it seems that they're doing their best!
    Let's hope about that... while you're waiting for more news about these very awaited conversions, you can read the review of SONIC for its excellence the Megadrive in this same issue; and don't faint at me in front of the photos!
    Curiosity: Who is interested can get t-shirts with Sonic's big face on them; unluckily they're very expensive! Particular that couldn't slip to a "funny" person like our Gabriele) (Paolo, what would you want to insinuate).
    Bye, bye.
    Gabriele Pasquali".

A quick translation that I've just done, I don't think it's very correct, but it can be understood.

4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Hah, looks very Amiga-ish :P

Well, it probably woulda just been another crappy port job by U.S. GOLD......oh god when I think of the games they have BUTCHERED....

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Still would be cool to get hold of an unreleased copy of it, though god knows who you would contact.

6. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.

Fix'd.

7. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I wonder how come this magazine was the only want to even get a screenshot? I guess Sega has this thing for Brasil/Italy/Portugal.

also, rofl its sonic robo blast 1

8. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    It could've been mocked up by the magazine editors.

9. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Actually, I'm looking closer at that picture top right, and I see SEGA 199(). I don't think hoaxers would want to fake Sega logos unless it was actually licensed.

These were also taken from a monitor using a camera. If they were hoaxes, wouldn't they be crystal clear shots (I guess not, I was thinking of this with those Sonic 2 mockups in mind)? Also, I'm trying to figure out what the hell that thing is on the upper right corner of the top screenshot of the title screen. Looks like a flying blimp with the word "Sega" on it with something else written underneath it.

drx, I hope you know Italian. :p

10. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    It looks like it says SONIC on top with Japanese text under the bottom.

Also, notice how Sonic is missing some tiles on his feet or is that small toes like in the "Alpha" shots of Sonic.

11. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Working on it, etc.

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    When I saw the photo, I immediately thought of "X Hedgehog", and old game by Jeff Reed!

13. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    I'm still trying to think on how the hell Sonic is supposed to advance in the bottom screenshot... I mean, he can't accelerate enough to jump over that obstacle... he'd just get stuck constantly jumping off that spring and coasting along the curved ridge at the top. But, then again, it's probably just a quick mock-up not meant to represent any actual obstacle in the game.

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
  15. tech3475

tech3475

At the most it may have been a concept similar to halo DS.

16. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

A Mockup would have, at the very least, a complete loop.
    That looks to me like a physics test area thing..

Looks real to me!
    But.. Whether it's any more than that would remain to be seen.
    It could be that they were stopped in their tracks by how incredibly crap the physics test area was!!

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Actually it IS rather similar to the one S2HD tech demo test area.

18. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    That was exactly what I was thinking. But that's just a coincidence really. :(

19. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
  20. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    6800 points at 1:07 in any sonic game (especially a "green hill" cliche) seems like a bit of a feat. I'm wanting to say concept art on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.