don't click here

The Truth About Dust Hill Zone

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The Simon Wai way is how I found the Truco '96 ROM (and in fact I found it literally under the same conditions, a Geocities page in a non-English language).

Which reminds me, I gotta ask the dude who put up the SMW64 pirate video on YouTube to see what does he know about it =P

2. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I just think it's weird that Wood Zone never had its own song. Weren't all the songs from the final (beta form, of course) in the Wai beta? I know Hidden Palace Zone's song wasn't, but it was in the final at least.

3. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    It probably wasn't worked on enough to warrant its own song. Hidden Palace was a lot more complete than Wood Zone.

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Where the hell have I been for the past week?! I know, I'm a little late.

Because of this, I think Retro needs to be renamed - Sonic the Hedgehog: Area 51

I am dead fucking serious (Or at least subtitled Sonic Retro: The New Area 51 OR Sonic Retro: Area 51 Forever). I don't believe shit with a grain of salt anymore unless there is DIRECT developer input. For years we have attempted to justify why Mystic Cave could be a "Dust Hill" and our turd selves were right for once!

I believe each and everyone of us owe Wetflame sexual favors.........along with Tweaker, Sik, and drx :)

Btw, I just got off the midnight shift from work....which is why I may sound a little crazy.

5. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:

No, there aren't any mystery dumps of Sonic 1-3 prototypes out there =P

6. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    There should be.

Go get us some Drx ^_^

7. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Well by that logic, wood zone doesn't count either, as there's no propulsion.

8. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I second this notion. I want to know what that eosian sphere was for as well.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Eosian sphere? WTF? The only results that phrase returns are this site -- what am I missing here?

10. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    sonic 3, giant red rotating ball thingy only found in aiz in debug =P

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Ah, that.

12. clibinarius

clibinarius

Oldbie
    I doubt it was programmed. Why? Simple: We have no evidence of Sonic 2 existing before the NA proto. And that one shows graphics consistent with the released games, not the mockups.

Yes, they're mockups. Every interview I've read says they're mockups.

And we simply don't know the plan of the game. I'm not convinced so much that Dust Hill was different than Mystic Cave. Who's not to say that the two levels weren't merged? Fine, I'll have to look over the concept art again. That's the thing about concept art-the actual implementation of the levels might've brought the levels together. We don't know what was in the "Dust Hill" zone aside from the background and the badniks-which might not have been level specific (and weren't)-they might've decided the obstacles involved fit a cave far better and thus...

I still think its worth a bit of argument. For one thing, the Dust Hill Zone has been dead for about 18 years now. Memories might be hazy, documentation scant and at times contradictory. For all we know Yuji Naka might do an interview and completely contradict this.

Moreover, this admission causes more questions than answers: Fine, the Dust Hill was a desert level, let's assume that. We know the desert level was intended. What on earth was in it? We have NO CLUE what this level really is, still. And its still assuming that Dust and Desert as words weren't confused-Dust and Desert have very similar letters in them. I think jumping to conclusions isn't prudent: don't say for sure what anything was, since there's once again no evidence really for anything.

13. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Chances are, Mr. Naka's memory is no better than Yasuhara's.

14. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Yes we do, solid evidence in fact. Check one of my topics about Sonic 2 NA, it's full of cool info that proves Sonic 2 before NA.

Plus, don't forget that they likely had HPZ done on 256x256.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yasuhara said it was a scrapped level. Therefore, it was a scrapped level.

It's not much more complicated than that, honestly. =P

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I was wondering the same, actually. What's an "eosian sphere", exactly...?

17. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    In short, this:
    http://www.sonic-cult.org/dispart.php?cati...d=2&artid=4

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You didn't get it. Only two or three sites in the whole internet refer to eosian/eoisian balls, and only speaking of those things in Sonic 3.

So where did that denomination come from and what does it mean, exactly?

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    *shrugs* The first time I saw it was on Sonic CulT...

20. Phugolz

Phugolz

Banned
    Ok, I've been an avid debater of this subject, so let me chime in.

What has been discovered: The desert stage at one point was called dust hill.

Now, the nick arcade prototype uses the sonic 1 stage select. It does not contain the desert level. It does contain Mystic Cave Zone, which is the level listed as Dust hill in the Simon Wai prototype. The NA proto is also VERY early in development, a stones throw away from being Sonic1. I doubt there was any of the DHZ put into the code prior to this.

The Simon Wai Prototype lists dust hill in the stage select. It does not contain the desert level. The only evidence of the name entirely is from the Simon Wai Level select, and from a few old magazines. Those magazines probably got them from the sega PR folks.

The screenshot mockups were obviously built from tiles that were already drawn. So it can be assumed the idea was written, the sprites were at -least- started, the name was decided.

As for the Simon Wai prototype having the name in the level select, at one point this game was code. That code was compiled to create the ROM. So that stage select listing was put together and put in the code. I don't think it suggests that it was ever in the ROM. Genocide City Zone was in there as well. It's unlikely they would use that as a stage name. It's really long, and offensive.

My opinion is that there was never a point where the desert level was compiled in any working ROM.