don't click here

Sonic 2: Escape From Ring Zone (February 1992)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Take a look at this Brazilian scan from early '92, which announces Sonic 2 for the first time ever:

[​IMG]

Now let's think a bit about it. The only info they know is:
    -It might be subtitled "Escape from Ring Zone"
    -It might be released in Summer '92
    -It will appear on CD format
    -It will have rotating worlds
    -Sonic will change size

Note that the last two bits of info sound a lot like Sonic CD, rather than Sonic 2.

I was thinking that it's possible that Sonic CD would have been actually the original plan for Sonic 2, before Naka left and joined the STI. I mean, they didn't even have the usual Emerald Hill mockups yet, but they already knew about those rotating stages that appear in the old Sonic CD proto pics... So when magazines were told that Sonic 2 was going to have time travel, they could have been informed of this original Sonic 2 project, whose cartridge version was scrapped as soon as the STI started their Sonic 2.

I've found more neat scans here, by the way. Enjoy

2. Rokkan

Rokkan

Translating it.
    As soon as I finish translating I'll post here or edit this post.

EDIT: Did it
    Roll Outside
    Our correspondent gives us the last things from the galaxy

"Super" Sonic 2 for CD-Rom!!
    Total Extravaganza. Do you want to know what's up outside? Do you? It's rumors, until now, but who knows...
    They say it's going to launch the sequence of SEGA's mega-hit, Sonic the Hedgehog, that means, Sonic the Hedgehog 2! The name of the anti-hero renegade's new adventure seems to be "Escape From Ring Zone" and it also looks like it's going to launch in summer (japanese summer, of course!)
    Note: the supersonic explosion of Sonic 2 is going to be released in Mega CD-rom.
    Sonic will go through many spinning worlds. In certain parts of the game, he increases in size as he collects special items.
    Well, for being only a rumor, it's even speaking too much. The only thing we have to do is sit and wait, for the Mega CD-Rom and for Sonic 2. "Hay que soñar..."

3. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Grows in size? Wow, talk about ripping off.

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    So I guess that helps explain that Sonic 2 port magazines used to talk about. The title of the game was originally Sonic 2, thus people assumed it a port.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

That really reminds me of that power-up from Knuckles Chaotix which I believe does the exact same thing.

6. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    If they'd have said "shrinks in size", this would make sense.
    Also what, many spinning worlds? Perhaps they're referring to either the beta or the final special stages...

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Makes sense to me. I mean, after all, you Ohshima's influence on Sonic CD (and startling similarities to Sonic 1), plans of time travel in the early Sonic 2 (referring less to magazine claims and more to the Desert Zone mockup), confusion between Sonic 2 and Sonic CD (leading to "Sonic 2 CD")... stuff like that. It always seemed like Sonic CD was more of a proper sequel to the original than Sonic 2, didn't it? It matched nearly all the cliches from the original game exactly (whilst introducting some new ones), takes a lot of cues from the level design, keeps a purely surreal environment, etc. In design, it feels like a "Sonic 2," and it wouldn't be too far-fetched to think it could be.

Shot in the dark, though—wouldn't it be funny if the "Sabaku" Zone was actually a concept for Sonic CD instead, and it was making reference to that desert on the Little Planet shot? =P

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The desert on the Little Planet isn't anything, whenever you play a song that isn't present, all the spots on the planet that correspond to the levels change, the desert stays like it was, no matter what.

Remember, video game journalism wasn't nearly as accurate back then, when the biggest video game related publication was Nintendo Power, half magazine, half catalogue (I just discovered this word isn't in Firefox's dictionary :/). And yes, it does sound like Sonic CD was originally Sonic 2.

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    That's probably because you're using the US dictionary. Catalogue is the british spelling.

10. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    There's another way to spell it?

11. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    Wrong, when playing a Bad Future song the cactus turns into some metal tower.

12. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    We heard this years ago, it's nothing new except for being in BRAZILLIAN

13. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Catalogue = British way
    Catalog = American way

Huh, actually never knew that. That's pretty interesting- perhaps if Tweaker's theory about Sabaku zone is correct, it would mean there was at least the level idea put into motion for Sonic CD. Hell, it might even be lurking on an even earlier beta than the one out there. Who knows?

14. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    Today I checked D.A. Garden again and am not sure any more if it's really a metal tower, it could also be rotten wood or something. But it definitely changes.

15. Rokkan

Rokkan

ugh this is so wrong
    It's like saying that this forum is all written in american.
    Brazilians speak Portuguese for fuck's sake.

16. That's interesting. From what I've seen so far, it's a shame that our new SCD proto is just like betas 712 and 920, I.e. U.S. with the PAL music in.

That is true, except out language is called English (U.S.), which turns to English (U.K.) for the British, plus some other dialects.

17. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    More like American/British *shot*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.