don't click here

Game Preview - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Electronic Gaming Monthly, Augus

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
  2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's not particularly what I was trying to point out. I wanted to point out the fact that they have "Final Fever" designated as a separate level, whilst that name is never used for anything more than as the title of the Final Boss music in the game. Is it possible that "Final Fever" may have been something in the same reign as Final Zone, in which you had a designated mini-level for the final boss? In addition, might this somehow be related to a strategy guide that somebody mentioned, which noted that there was a second Metal Sonic battle where the firefly mini-boss took place?

(They have Palmtree Panic listed twice on the second page, but they really just omitted Quartz Quadrant for whatever reason.)

For the most part, this magazine should be taken with a grain of salt, due to the mass amounts of inaccuracies within them (I mean, they called the peelout a "new Super Spin-Dash," for fucks sake). Still, the use of "Final Fever" is something I found particularly jarring, given its significance in the final game.

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    There's another magazine that referred to the last level as Final Fever. I think it was Sonic the Comic.

Final Fever could be R2 if it was the second level being worked on. They wouldn't call it R8 if they didn't know exactly how many levels they were doing.

4. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Why would EGM have a 55% complete build of the game if the release was just a month away for Japan? That's the only thing that doesn't make sense to me.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    U.S Postal Service.

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    the last boss tune is listed in the soundtest/DA Garden as Final Fever. Mystery solved.

7. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    The percent figures didn't mean what common sense dictates, at the time. I learned it the hard way.

8. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    It's more "how close is it until release date" than "how finished is it", isn't it?

9. RattleMan

RattleMan

Oldbie
  10. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Very interesting (although both magazines call the Rounds Zone RAAAAAGE). But that still wouldn't explain the scene in the ending where Sonic runs through these ruins, with the ant lion robot coming out of a sand pit.

11. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Umm, probably because they ARE zones.?

12. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    The game proves you otherwise, Zones are just the 3 things each Round is made of. And while Round isn't directly mentioned in the game iirc it is in the manual however. Not like it matters that much, as the Rounds are to be referred to by their name only anyway. >:O

Then again there weren't any manuals yet by the time they wrote that stuff, so they can be forgiven. A bit.

13. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I remember reading about Final Fever in an old french magazine that got a preview version of the game. They also mentioned fighting Metal Sonic before Eggman.

14. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I wonder why they changed it. It's so likely and possible there was a Final Fever zone just like the Final Fight in Sonic 1 I think we could almost assume it's a fact. Maybe they just wanted to differentiate from SOnic 1 or something? Then again, Sonic 2 had a final boss arena as well...

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Rounds...

...Zones...

Same thing :)

16. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Plus, if you count the separate area of DEZ2 in S3&K as a final boss area (Or heck, DZ (Doomsday Zone) if you want), then that means that most of the games back then had final boss areas (except Sonic CD, of course)

17. Pelord

Pelord

Warning signs for hire Oldbie
    I always thought the final boss of Sonic CD was a bit... lacking. It was probably the only real disappointment I had with the game.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    What he said.

We have at least one earlier prototype than that anyway, there's not much to speculate about.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Uh, how do you figure? I already said that I know the Final Boss music in Sonic CD is called Final Fever; that doesn't at all explain why it was, in more than one occasion, referred to as a level name. How do you know the "Final Fever" level concept wasn't something put in later in development, but later scrapped randomly? One such example of that trend occuring is in Sonic 2 Beta 4, where Sonic dies in a Super Mario World-esque fashion (falling down with the camera following him to the bottom of the level).

I think when people are so quick to blow stuff like this off, they're blowing off important opportunities we have to take this information and do something more with it. With that second scan, this isn't just an isolated incident—this is something a bit more concrete, and I think it needs to be regarded as such.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Isn't that just a bug in that specific build?

But anyway, we have many Sonic CD builds by now, to know better than that. I think it would be too farfetched to say there was a proper Final Fever level included after one of them, and then they deleted every possible sign of it before the next build we know was made. It just doesn't make sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.