don't click here

Mega CD ISOs

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Dr. Mustache, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    I bought a Mega CD from an old shop yesterday and I had a thought.
    This'll probably be a stupid question, but would it be able to burn ISO files to a CD-R and use them on the Mega CD?

I know there was something called the Mega CD-R, but is that any different to regular ones?
    (sorry if this question's blatantly stupid)

2. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Yes, burned CD files work just fine on a Mega CD.

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Indeed, CD Burners were considered "dream beasts" at the time, so there is no protection.

4. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    By the way, how do I rip bin/cue files from a Mega-CD? I'd like to do that with my Jap. Sonic CD, since there seems to be a general lack of that.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    BlindWrite has a ripping facility. I'd link Borisz' guide but his site is down and Wayback doesn;t have that particular page cached, so you're on your own.

6. Flygon

Flygon

For the record, have fun finding bin-cue combos, you will god damn need it because I have had NO luck getting ISO-MP3 combos to burn without the game becoming an audio track and websites almost never supply bin-cue combos.

Finding European versions is even worse though >.>

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    ISO/MP3 combos only work if you know that your recording software has the ability to write mixed mode CDs. Otherwise, they won't work well.

Some mounting and burning software does work with an ISO/MP3/CUE set though, if you're in a pinch. You'd be best looking up how to create a cue sheet for a mixed mode CD on your own. It's not overly difficult once you figure out what you're doing

8. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Thanks all, much appreciated

9. IsoBuster is what I use to make BIN/CUEs.

10. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    cdrwin or imgburn, make sure your rip in RAW (2352) mode with subcode detection (set subcodes to auto but never disabled).

DO NOT rip bincue in alcohol 120%, it will fuck up the audio. I'd also stay away from isobuster as far as bincue creating, since its a generic tool with nearly no error resiliance (this may have changed in later versions, I still use 1.7).

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Alcohol's bin/cue issues can actually be fixed pretty easily. All that it does is shift the start time of each track by two seconds.

However, on a bin/cue with a lot of music tracks, fixing it can be time consuming.

12. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher

Yes: by using a different app.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's just that you make it sound like it's an unrecoverable error. It is most certainly not.

ISOs that only have a couple redbook tracks are hardly a problem. I honestly prefer to make my own cue sheets on occasion.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Is BlindRead still good for ripping things?

15. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    It's an error that remains unfixed after 5 years even though it has been reported numerous times and would probably require 1 line of code to fix.

If the Alcohol devs are this careless about the bincue ripper, than there's no telling what other issues may lurk there.

>Is BlindRead still good for ripping things?

dunno, last time I checked they did not have the bincue capable old version on the site, and the newest version only ripped in a proprietary format (b6i or some such shit). Imgburn rips into the same format bincue that blindread 4 did, though, so just use that (cdrwin leaves pregaps as pregaps - not ripped in the bin, controlled by the cuesheet - while imgburn/old blindread reads them and includes them in the bin marked as index 00/01 in the cuesheet. It is arguable which one is more correct, but as long as the pregap area is physically empty on the disc, the cdrwin way is a more accurate representation of the physical disc).

16. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    OK, thanks for the headsup. As it is, I still have the old one installed =P

17. IsoBuster is currently at v2.4.

18. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    That was my point.