don't click here

Sonic 1 Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    You didn't. You got 1/4th of a game.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's really a shame that this will never be completed, but it's already great in its incomplete form. You guys did an outstanding work.

And about the awesome sound test... it's also a shame that it won't be used for anything else. Is there any chance of releasing a general purpose Mega Drive music player with that interface? Since it shows all the channels and stuff, it would be amazing if it could play any appended tracks with their sound driver.

I just thought it would be perfect for that kind of usage, but it might be too difficult to reprogram, I don't know.

3. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    You'll have to ask Cinossu about that, as it was one of the things he did on the project.

4. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Is it wrong I enjoy Original mode more than... well, Megamix mode? Just having all those moves and such is pretty neat. Like Sonic Genesis without the gay. (Oh, I also beat that all the way though. Yeah, it's definitely wrong.)

As for bugs... well, hitting "Continue" without a save cartridge in (on the real thing, at least in Original mode) gives you 0 lives. :v: Lose one, 255.

Arguably, it makes the game more fun (for me) =P

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    To me, I rather leave my imagination of what Megamix was gonna be untouched by not playing the most recent version; it is incomplete, hence playing it in its current form may provide short-term gratification, it will not complete the picture for me, and hence would probably be more depressing than just letting the idea of what it was going to be live on in my mind.

It was a good project, and actually managed to go quite far, but unfortunately, it ended like any other good thing eventually does... I will remember it for what it was going to be.

6. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Now you know what it's like to use BeOS :P

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    By that logic Tweaker will give the Megamix source to someone who will OSS it and continue the project =P

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No. No I will not.

Though, we have considered releasing Megamix under the GPL—this, of course, means that anyone who uses code from it will have to open source their hacks. It'll be like the utter internal destruction of the Sonic hacking community! :D

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    DUDE, DO IT

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

:v:

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Too bad the game is broken at points. You can't take the Spring Yard Zone Act 1 shortcut nor the Labyrinth Zone Act 1 shortcut. And then there's the graphical hiccups.

11. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Oh?

Which ones are those? I'm actually not that good at the original, so...

12. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    For some reason, I can picture you laughing in a totally not funny way while saying this.

13. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    That is actually a hilarious idea I'd never considered. Do it =P

14. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Actually, upon reading the maps, I'm pretty sure we did, in fact, manage those. I'm not sure what you mean about them being broken...

15. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    You said you would put the source on the SDFTP way back in 2006, but you haven't yet. :v:

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That was before I thought about things before doing them. :v:

17. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Chimpo might be talking about, as far as SYZ 1 goes, the shortcut near the beginning where if you launch yourself high enough via the spring in the first bumper section, you can fly over the wall to the right. Since Megamix's level and collision rendering code is different, I'm not sure if this works anymore.

Not sure about Labyrinth Zone Act 1, but I *think* he's talking about the little platform that takes you to the high shortcut in the level when you hit a button in the water in that area. IIRC, the platform STILL spawns and can take you over. It's just invisible for a reason I never figured out :P

18. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Well, I still feel that the Megamix source would be a great addition to supplement our already large collection of secret hacking tools.

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I'll lol when SEGA finds out you GPLd sonic 1

20. Flygon

Flygon

Wait, if Tweaker GPLed Sonic 1, wouldn't that mean every Sonic 1 hack has to release its source?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.