don't click here

ЭIИO2: Rebirth

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by doc eggfan, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    What muteKi said, now with more source.

2. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    The shape of the original power base converter (or MSC1 as you call it) would be incompatible with both the MDII and 32X, regardless of pin connections. You'll have to do as I do and have one MD set up with the converter and one set up with the 32X, or buy a Master System, or unplug the 32X.

3. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Ah, so that one doesn't work either. No point in getting it too then. Ok, thanks. :(

EDIT:
    Ah, okay. I do still have a Master System 2 as well as another Mega Drive II, the only problem is I lack space. Oh well, currently I don't play many SMS games anyway, so until we move again (which is already planned) I'll just plug in and out the 32X when I feel the need for some SEGA 8-bit action.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
  5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Well it's been two weeks since I updated. Lets see what progress I've made.

[​IMG]

Yep, that is all. It's showing potential. I just wish EVERYONE WOULD LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE SO I COULD GET ON WITH IT.

I don't mean that anyone here is harassing me, just people/customers in real life.

Doesn't it depend on what region hardware you use rather than the rom I edit? Isn't there only one rom? In anycase, I don't know whether this will work with a flash cart. I could be performing illegal operations that emulators just gloss over.

6. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    [​IMG]

It's still a work in progress, but any criticisms/suggestions for improvement while it's still fresh in my mind?

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    better leaf tiles.

8. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    The only thing I can think of right now is that the springs kinda clash, because they're still redish. Other then that, no.

9. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Is it the art itself, or just the way it appears in the grid like fashion? I plan to edit the mappings and try to get something similar to the art in pocket adventure.

Yeah, I haven't touched the springs yet. I might do that next.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
  11. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Damn you Chimpo. How can you be that good at sprite art?

12. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    Will you release a tool for S2 art editing? I might use that to "practise" for my Sonic 1 MD hack (ie by making simpler art but actually getting it done in less than a century).

13. Oh god yes I'm so wet right now.

Let me know if you need any tiles. I still owe you.

14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    In the future, I would like to release a rom with all of the compressed art uncompressed and therefore editable in a tile editor. At the moment, I can't seem to expand the rom beyond 512kB. I don't know whether it's a simple checksum thing or whether it requires some sort of complicated bank switching trickery.

To get to the point where I am I've really butchered the roms insides to get the first level editable. Of course, when I'm done I could compress it and see if I can fit it in without disturbing much. I could release a rom where only UGZ is editable if you're interested.

15. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    UPDATE:
    [​IMG]
    Fixed. Thanks again Chimpo. Should some of the leaves be pointing the other way, or is it better to have them all pointing the same way?

[​IMG]
    I'm still working on the rail tracks. I was aiming for rusty and overgrown with grass, but I'm not sure that I'm achieving that very convincingly

[​IMG]
    Now THIS was interesting. I've restored the UGZ loop art that was unused in the original game, but since the level layout is fiddly to edit, I just put a quarter circle down in a save state just to test it out. I thought the colision would be wonky, since the game normally goes into auto pilot when you go through loops, but it's not. It works perfectly. It's not as sophisticated as a quarter circle in the Mega drive engine, Sonic remains bolt upright (the sloped sprites are not called). However 'gravity' is in effect - you slow down going up and you gain speed on the return trip. It makes me wonder why none of the level layouts used these curved tiles for quarter cirlce ramps, not even in the levels where loop art is already present.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I don't know how rotation is handled on this, but technically you can make all bunch of crazy patterns if you play around with it.

[​IMG]

Same two tiles, just flipped horizontally and vertically here and there.

17. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
  18. I'm more than willing to grant sexual favours to anyone who releases a SonED-esque editor for S2MS.

Just saying.

19. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    So I thought about this last night and, while I partly blame Airman ga Taosenai and its just as awesome accompanying 8-bit style animation for my decision, I have decided I will really do this. The ideas I had for Sonic MD would probably be re-creatable in 8-bit as well, while simpler of course.
    I'd just have a few questions: What limitations are there to the palette, size of stuff, number of tiles per Zone, and so on? And, most importantly, can you only replace already existing tiles at this point or is it/will it be possible to relatively freely place and move new tiles? And finally, does new art has to be redrawn somewhere within the ROM or can it be imported from whatever image files?
    (I have basically zero knowledge of hacking so please forgive me some of these quite ignorant questions.)

Your progress is looking pretty great so far btw. :o

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    I'm sure it would be exceedingly simple, but I have no experience creating a program. I like to get my hands dirty and hack directly in hex. It really isn't that hard, just time consuming.

Hmmm, I'm still in the experimental stage, so I don't have definitive answers to all your questions. Someone else might be more qualified to answer.

The palette is limited to 64 colours. All the tiles are 8 x 8 - just like the MD, and these are mapped together in 4 x 4 tile blocks (32 x 32 pixels). These blocks are then pieced together to form the level layout. There is no foreground and background, so that makes life easier. The collision data is standard for all levels, so if you keep the art consistent, you don't need to worry about collision. I'm not sure about the limit to the number of tiles you can have, but there seems to be plenty of space so far.

It is possible to create something totally from scratch, which I intend to do, but at this stage it's easier to fuck around with what's already there.

I'm not sure about importing images into a tile editor, I usually do things the hard way but I'm sure that there is probably something that exists that could make life easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.