don't click here

Knuckles In China Land

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by GHNeko, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Why? Because its an RPG that teaches you how to read Japanese.

No. I'm dead serious.

Basically, you play knuckles(duh) and it seems like you've found yourself somewhere and you don't know where that somewhere is, and the point of the story is to get back home. Now, the game is based on random encounters, but the thing is, you don't fight monsters, you fight cards. Every time you start a random battle, Sonic Battle cards pop up on screen, each with its own Katakana, one at a time, and under it, it shows the english translation. You have 5 seconds to memorize each new card that you've never seen before, and then it goes off to the battle menu. You have 3 actions, confrontation, articles(items) and escape. When you hit confrontation, a random card from the 3-6 that have appeared for battle presents itself, and you must type in the english translation. If you get it wrong, you lose HP and it shows you the correct translation. And you go back to the menu. You have to keep answering right for a few times before Knuckles strikes it down. When you finish the battle, you get money and continue on. The cool part, is that if you've encountered a card you have seen before, It doesnt show its translation at the beginning of the battle. The only thing I really don't like about the game is the chances of encountering a card. If you encounter a specific card, and you become very familar with it, the chances of encountering it go down. Though, to prevent that, in the menu out of battle, you can choose to look at all the cards you've fought up to that point.

All in all, its a good game for learning the basics of Japanese if you're actually interested, and the gameplay isnt that hard, but it isnt all that easy. The buttons take a second to figure out, but thats a minor gripe compared to what this game can actually do in terms of helping you with a new language.

That, and there is no sound. So yea, boot up winamp and set up a playlist, cuz your not getting ANY sound from this game.

2. Rainer

Rainer

I would feel embarrassed to play a game like that. But it sounds absolutely hilarious, even more for your standard shit edutainment game.

3. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    What.

4. peanutbuttercake

peanutbuttercake

A few Krabbys short of a Kingler Member
    Yeah, I found this a pretty long time ago. The funny thing is, my Japanese teacher was the one who showed it to me. The storyline is a joke, but it's actually an excellent memorization tool for those of us with short attention spans. It also comes with German and Indonesian language packs, and there's a built-in tool that you can use to make it teach you virtually any language.

5. GHNeko

GHNeko

テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Considering its in the privacy of my own room, I could give a fuck about embarrassment. And what's more hilarious about the story line is the dialog. Who ever made the script is a fucking grammar nazi and thinks everyone should speak like english gentleman.

Trust me. I felt the same way.

Here a video of the game actually. The attack graphics of knuckles are oh so familiar. :awe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLPFebXe3bk

6. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    It's a fan game named after that old hoax.

7. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    This could teach me how to speak mexican?

8. GHNeko

GHNeko

テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
  9. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Is it emulatorable?

10. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Yeah, this isn't particularly new.

What is new is somebody actually posting a screenshot! :p

11. GHNeko

GHNeko

テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    PC programs.

Ha. If you want. I can post more. And possibly a video of how bad I am at remembering.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I downloaded this aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago, one of these days I'll have to actually play it =P

13. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    What is this, RPG maker 95?

14. GHNeko

GHNeko

テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Nope. Stand alone program.