don't click here

Old Japanese Famitsu article about Sonic 3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by OKei, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I found this old Japanese Famitsu article about Sonic 3
    [​IMG]

Could someone translate the Sonic 3 section of the scan? From I can make out, it will come in a 16Mbit-cartridge instead of 24 Mbits. If thats not what it really says, please don't beat me.

I wonder why Japan got the game way later then the rest of the world?

Discuss.

2. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    Quick and dirty:

-----

Sonic 3 is set to be released on May 27. Initially announced to be 24 megabit, it seems to have quietly been changed to 16. Why is this? Everyone wants to know!

"Overseas, it has already been sold in 16 megabit format. Import shops are already selling this version. Creating a 24 megabit version for Japan takes time, and during this time the foreign copy was being sold in shops. They seem to have decided to release it early as 16 megabit." (a certain store)

Hmm. But is this true? I checked in with Sega Enterprises: "Certainly we intended to release a 24 megabit version, but we will release the 16 megabit version so fans may enjoy it sooner." (Sega Enterprises PR)

Answer. A rise in the size of the software corresponds to a rise in the price. The 5800yen sales price is pretty cheap for 16 megabit, don't you think? Lower prices are very welcomed by the users. But, I'd like to see both a 16 megabit and a 24 megabit version released... Wouldn't that be luxurious!?

-----

So basically, it sounds like a ton of shops were selling the US version or whatever, and to combat people buying that one, they decided they would release the 16 bit version there too instead of a previously promised 24 bit version.

Feel free to correct my shitty Japanese if I'm wrong though.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Oh shit, I think I know what this is—this might be the article that announces the canning of Sonic 3 Limited Edition! The combined game was originally meant to be 24 megabits, but the size of both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are 16 megabits, are they not? This may explain why they decided to can it—expense reasons.

Excellent find, and much thanks for the translation! :thumbsup:

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    So how would it have affected the game if it were 24-bit? Better sound quality? Enhanced resolution sprites?

5. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    I think Tweaker's right. It just would've been S3+. As in, Sonic 3+Knuckles in one cartridge. For more money.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    All it would mean is that there's more space—they would use that extra space to combine Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles into one cartridge, as was their original plans.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I guess that makes sense. Wouldn't have come out on Groundhog's Day though.

8. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    fix'd

9. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    lol Thank you. I can't believe I didn't say that to begin with.

10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I don't think it's announcing that the SOnic 3 LImited Edition is cancelled, the translation seems to imply that they decided to release a smaller version first, but not concell the bigger version.

Also, 16+16=32. So both games couldnt of fit on a 24 MB cartridge I think. Although I'm not sure how big those extra chips for S2k,S3k,S1k are. But removing them probably still wouldnt get you a 24 MB cartridge.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Sonic 3 Limited Edition was meant to be 24MiB—there is tons of redundant data that could be removed in the combined Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and more than likely enough to get it down to 24MiB, maybe even less! 16MiB is the size of the normal Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles, so it's simply noting that only the separate releases will be available, not the full game.

12. Most definitely. Youve got All the lock on data, a full suite of duplicated music tracks, logic, sprites, headers....

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    All you need from Sonic 3 is maybe the music, title screen art, level select stuff, Tails sprites, some object programming, and zone data (Art, mappings, layout).

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The Lock-On data? Come on. Putting aside the fact that S2KUPMEM is not included in that 24MiB figure (as combined S3&K is 32MiB and the S2KUPMEM makes the full 34MiB figure mentioned on the box - also it's on a seperate ROM chip as has been discovered in the past - the only real thing taking space is the Blue Spheres menu code.

The rest, yes, valid points.

15. The blue spheres menu etc is what I probably should have said.

16. notaz

notaz

Tech Member
    Somewhat off-topic, but why are you all using misleading MiB (Mebibyte) abbreviations here? It wouldn't even fit in the 16MiB address space! It should be Mib, or Mebibit.

17. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Effectively, you'd need a 32X to play the game if they actually produced it.

18. Um why?

19. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    one of the marketing boasts of the 32X was that the games were 32bit.

20. 32 Mbit cartridge != 32 bit game!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.