don't click here

Sonic CD code bounty: $100 USD

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mad Echidna, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I am offering $100 to the first person who can port the Sonic 2 spindash to Sonic CD. The spindash must be working in every Zone, and it should not impair the ability to play through the game normally. I require proof of the work before payment, and I'd like a copy of any unique source code just for my own amusement. I will make the binaries available to everyone once I had recieved them and tested them for completeness.

I also am willing to add a negotiable bonus for other moves, such as the homing attack and lightspeed attack like seen in Sonic Megamix.
    EDIT: I would also like to say, please do not implement those extra things unless we have agreed on a bonus first, as I am not all that rich and I need to plan ahead :P I do get paid $500 a week so don't worry, I'm good for it.

EDIT: I will also donate the prize to DRX in your name, if you wish.

2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    You sure you wanna offer $100 for something like that? Without a doubt in my mind, it can be done fairly easily without the need for any disassembly.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That just shows that you really don't know what it entails, nor the surrounding circumstances around adding it to the game. Simply put, it's not as extremely easy as you're playing it off to be.

I've forwarded your query to an interested party. You may or may not receive results; if you do, I expect you'll hold up your end of the bargain.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    From what I've heard, people have already suceeded in porting parts of hacks into Sonic CD anyway, so I'm sure there are people out there who wouldn't find this too difficult.

I'd also be interested to see saxman bring out the old hacking spirit and have a shot at this.

All I've done is try to open an MMD in IDA 5.1 and hit C a bunch of times, without really getting anywhere!

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Porting from Sonic CD is significantly easier than porting to Sonic CD, for various reasons. Regardless, the amount of effort is not equal on both sides.

I don't like how some people can judge the difficulty of a task without understanding what's involved in completing it. What does that say to us that actually do possess that knowledge? It's not being very respectful.

6. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Now I am a total novice, but I have been told on many occastions that each zone and time zone in the game is a seperate binary that is exquivilant to a complete game rom, correct? So without a complete source code, you would have to hack every individual binary seperately, right? THat's what I made sure to specify that it must work for the WHOLE game, I'm not paying that kind of bank if it's not playable.

7. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Perhaps I'm mistaken. You know more than I do, so please explain it to me.

Oh gosh, I dunno if I could make myself do it. It's been so long!

8. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    What's wrong with the original sonic cd "spindash?" I know it's not quite the same, but it gets the job done.

And as far as getting the $100, wouldn't it just be a matter of tweaking it a little bit and adding the spindash sprites?

Once you've done it, it's not hard to cut and paste 70 times. I could be wrong.

9. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    THere is a lot more than just the sprites. The sonic cd requires you to hold down the button to charge it and you just stand still if you release too soon. Plus, you can rev up the dash on Sonic 2, not so on Sonic CD. It's much more combersome.

10. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    If there were already predisasmbled MMD files out there, this would be done pretty quickly actually...

11. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Plus, revving up increments the pitch of the spindash sound, and neither the sound nor the code for this are there.

Plus, there's a chance that unused/redundant GFX may have to be removed to store the frames and dust, and that's not a quick job.

12. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Hey, he just said the code has to be there and it works. He didnt say it needs the frames or sounds. :P

13. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

That'd be like Mad Echidna buying ubuntu from best buy and finding that all thats on the CD is the linux kernal.

14. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Very apt analogy, Jim! :thumbsup:

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    You'd have to find the location to put the code in each of the 70 files (I don't think the addresses are the same). Now that'll be a lot of work.

Stupid question: why couldn't have Sega just used one file for the main gameplay itself (the code shared by all levels) and then files for level-specific stuff? Seems to me like a good way to waste space only... Are there any level-specific tweaks to the main moves or something? (and no, extra moves don't count)

16. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    What if you just changed the sprites of the peel-out to spindash sprites? You can rev with the peel out.

17. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie

My thoughts exactly, now with correct terminoligy :P

18. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    If you know how to find it once, how hard do you think it is too locate the exact same thing again in a different file? Ctrl-F is your friend.

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    NO NO NO. You are oversimplifying it WAY too much. The peel-out leaves you vulnerable since you are not in a ball, and the mechanics are different. THe spindash has unique mechanics to it. For example, I like to press jump and spinsash at an angle instead of along the ground.

20. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

That is a good question, but I'm guessing loading the "core" files and then the level layout would probably have been slower than just loading a slightly larger file with everything in. Wasn't the SEGA CD like 1x speed or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.