don't click here

Original Project Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    I had a good explanation for that in the idea I was working on. But w/e.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well remember, the story hasn't been concretely established yet. I see no reason why your ideas can't be used in some form. :colbert:

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    The team leaders (and from what I can gather, the majority) have decided that the game is going to be set just after Sonic 3 and Knuckles. This is no longer a matter of discussion. I request that any future posts related to this matter be split and trashed.

If you disagree, please feel free to start up your own project. I'm drawing the line here.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I just had an idea on gameplay.

There's a choice on what you have, such as spindash, peelout, spindash & peelout, you get the point, although it's just an idea I had.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    They won't be.

And I absolutely consider it a matter of discussion. You've offered no solid reasoning and as a community Sonic sequel it pisses me off that you're completely disregarding a whole different perspective on the story aspects of the game. There's nothing wrong with staying Retro, but I think you'd be downright retarded to not even discuss it.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    This shouldn't even be discussed. This shouldn't even be considered until there is actual shit down. You're building a story first and then you're going to build a game around it.

You know what other game did that? 06.

You can stay retro and you can reference the adventure games, but that should not be the highest priority right now. What you're doing right now is pure grade a bullshit. You're spending your time on useless little trivia instead of getting this shit organized.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    On another note, you guys might want to check this out: Sonic Cliches

Should be a good look into what existing level cliches there have been across the series, and how to incorporate them into the game.

And do you know what else did it? Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Sometimes you guys don't think.

9. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

I meant future posts, however you replied prior to my edit.

The reasoning is simple. Sonic Adventure was, while a arguable good, a completely different game. It doesn't co-exist in the same timeline, the universe feels completely different, and it wasn't what most people imagined a 3D Sonic to be like. Sonic Adventure 2 took the basic concepts of SA1, but instead of refining the problems, they added even more baggage, with unneeded characters, silly storylines and trying to make the game take place in the real world.

Sonic 1, 2, 3 & K were NOT set in the real world, I don't want our team to have to deal with the crappy characters and rediculous continuity issues we will face, not to mention the fact that doing so treats the Adventure games as qualified sequels, which in my mind, they really don't deserve to be. They symbolise the beginning of the erosion of Sonic games that has occured over the past decade. Lets just have robots instead of animal themed badniks, lets have rails through 90% of the level. No, I'm not having this project acknowledge those games as I can imagine more and more stuff spilling over and contaminating the chance we have to undo this crap.

Also feel free to join us in #sonic4project on Badnik net to share and discuss your ideas and contributions :colbert:

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Sonic 3k != Adventure

ROBOTNIK'S GOT A GIANT BATTLESHIP! SONIC SHOULD STOP HIM!

SONIC AND A GIRL FALL IN LOVE! WAIT, THERE SHOULD BE TIME TRAVEL! LET'S MAKE A NEW CHARACTER! LET'S ADD SOME NEW GAMEPLAY MECHANICS! SONIC DIES IN THE END! EVERYONE SHOULD BE PLAYABLE AND DIFFERENT AND BROKEN!

PHYSICS!

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    How do you know? They were set on islands of an undefined planet. You have no clue where they took place! All we know is that they had surreal elements—and nothing says you can't acknowledge an existing plotline without being surreal.

Nobody even said that acknowledging such a plot would even mean 20 characters were playable! You have no idea what you're arguing against, only that you're working off pure nostalgia and aren't thinking properly.

And I'm not liking your tone as if you're taking over the project. I sure as hell didn't agree for you to represent it—I was comfortable with Phoebius. If you as a leader results in such outright intolerance and dickery, then believe me when I say you will never be getting any support from this forum. You may as well go make a shitty Invisionfree board now, because you have absolutely no chance.

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Lol taking over.

I'm not "taking over" the project, I'm just playing my part as a member of this team to put my foot down. Phoebius, The Shad, and I have all agreed on the plot and we properly discussed it.

Would you rather see this thread turn into absolute anarchy? It was already heading that way, I had to do something otherwise, like Chimpo said, nothing will get done. Just because I'm the one taking a stand does NOT mean I'm taking over the project, I may very well have come across as arrogant, but you have equally protrayed yourself as ignorant, at least to me.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Nobody cares what you think. You already said you wanted nothing to do with it, so why don't you go do that?

Sounds like a good idea if the community is only contributing shit so far.

14. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Anyway I have talked to Phoebius and from now on he will be the one to take stands on issues like this, as it appears to deeply effect you so much Tweaker.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Go fuck yourself. I'll comment on what I see as I please.

Not if I erase all trace of it from this forum. Don't fuck with me.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Ooooh no! Tweaker is showing off his power! Whatever will I do!

17. Wetflame

Wetflame

This is bullshit and you know it. Adventure 2 tried some new things but there was no guarantee at that point there were mainstays. You can't blame them for trying some new things. Keeping them in continuity makes no difference in terms of the badniks being used. And the real world? Excuse me, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles used a realistic graphics set too. Sonic was ALWAYS intended to be set on Earth, just a strange area of it. But there's no reason why you can't shoehorn in Mobius into that continuity, it's not essential. And what about Heroes? You call those realistic levels? With the cheqeuered soil? Sonic Team didn't think much of it, so why do you?

More importantly Adventure and Adventure 2 were GOOD GAMES. So no, it didn't errode the latter games, which were bad because they were bad/disappointing games, not because you could grind in them or they had realistic robots. Nobody, including you, bitched all that heavily about SA2 until long after it's release it was decided it was rank.

Thanks for confirming you have a pigheaded reason for deciding these things. There are plenty examples of where people have to work with fictions they found outdated or shoddy and turned them around to make them interesting.

Someone this biased shouldn't be a project leader. It can only harm the game, and even if people want to do it THEIR WAY, guess what, you're not professional game makers so you could well end up making a game you'll eventually find boring because it could have been so much more.

The point of this originally wasn't to make a "Sonic 4" BUT to make the sequel Sonic Team weren't giving us. The idea is to put in the game what the older fanbase actually wants, which for a lot of us will include elements the Adventure games. Even if it's a minority, by not including those you reject them COMPLETELY.

It's just snotty elitism and I expected better from Jimbo.

18. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Oh for the love of god.

19. Wetflame

Wetflame

This is fucking retarded, you're making provocative decisions before you even HAVE a storyline, or anything at all in fact. You outright rejected the possibility of the outline I was working on, not to mention you have a poor understanding of how to put a game together in the first place.

I find it amazing how I managed to call you on being retrowankers before the desire was even expressed. I've spent enough time around bullshitters in this community that I can see the general shape of their thoughts, and yours do not fit anything positive for this game.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yes, it is easy to make sarcastic one liners, isn't it? Sure as hell a lot easier than being reasonable, that's for sure. :colbert:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.