don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. No idea if this is known, but in both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, when the debug mode HUD is being displayed, the minutes counter represents the number of lag frames per level loop. This should normally be 0 - any other value indicates that the level routines loop took up too much processing time to fit on a single frame, causing game lag.

2. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    I remember reading in a topic here recently that there was a possibility Masato Nakamura didn't actually compose all the music in Sonic 2.

This is some blind speculation, but I'm wondering if the 2-player tracks might have been some of these supposed tracks, as they were basically shoveled into a broken 2-player mode noone cares about.

In particular, the mystic caves 2-player song, I've found shares some similarities to, you guessed it, a freaking Michael Jackson song. It's not really obvious, and really the only similarity is a synth line that sounds similar to a guitar line in "Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough".

2-Player Mystic Caves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhZzANSpUNk

I've seen others claim it sounds similar to "Wanna Be Starting Something" as well, but I'm willing to throw it all up to coincidence.

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_hz2am90Hk

I'm not saying MJ was involved, in fact I highly doubt it. I'm one of the jerks that goes and slaps people when they claim similarities exist with Who Is It and Ice Cap, or nonetheless thinking it would mean something (That youtube video is terrible >.>). I'm just stating the possibilities of others, possibly moreso developers with a music hobby writing some of the tunes as placeholders is possible. That or Masato was listening to some MJ before a writing session. >.>

I never thought this relevant enough to post anywhere, but as this is the relevant topic of irrelevance, why not.

3. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan

Sonic Slide and Punch! Member
    Yozora

I remember being bored so I went into Sonic Crackers and kept throwing Tails onto the Bed of Spikes, and eventually he did the drunk pose. I think they were right in their podcast when they said it was probably some type of "dying" animation.

4. lol, a new type of "double post" :P

5. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, but in Sonic Adventure, don't take the Crystal Ring with Sonic. Complete the game with everyone, start the Super Sonic story and go take that Ring and quit. If done right, when you select that story, you'll get an unused summary of the story and eitheir the game will freeze or you'll see the "Hedhehog Hammer" title card and Sonic will fall in an endless black hole.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, I guess when you compare that to the death animation in Sonic Adventure for Sonic at least, it makes sense. He spins around a little bit and then falls down, lifeless.

7. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan

Sonic Slide and Punch! Member
    Yozora
    I was wondering, because this happens on the genesis as well as an emulator:

In Sonic 1 in GHZ, motobugs simply disappear and reappear (not in any random location, but where they were supposed to be in the first place) Depending on how fast you can get to where the bugs are, you can get all of them, or all of them would have disappeared. I just thought it was interesting. Yadrins in SYZ (and in MZ too, I think) does the same thing.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    During the Chemical Plant Zone boss, while playing as Sonic, if you duck when Eggman drops the Mega-Mack, it won't hurt you.

This fucking blew my mind when I found out about it.

9. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I've known about that since the game came out.. I guess I should have said something. :P

Doesn't work as Knuckles or Tails. :P

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Seriously? shit, that's either a bug or a supremely awesome piece of coding. Don;t let it get in your eyes, Sonic!

...despite the fact he's been swimming in the damn stuff for half the level =P

11. I always thought the particular stuff Eggman dropped was a higher-percentage mixture than the rest of the level's chemicals, hence why it was deadly.

I'm not the only one who thinks Sonic Rush Adventure's boss music sounds like it's saying "We're not fucking [...] beefcake's-the beef, not fucking", right? I can't possibly think of anything else it could be saying if it's in English.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I definetely hear the beefcakes.

Ugh talk about music that could do without lyrics.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You all know that if you destroy several badniks in a row you're awarded more and more points.

What maybe you don't know is that this behaviour is present also in Sonic 2's 2P mode, and the "combo counter" seems to be shared between the players. So if Sonic destroys a badnik, and Tails quickly destroys another badnik, Tails will get 200 points, and vice-versa.

[​IMG]

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Haha, that's nifty. I guess they never decided to use a different counter for such a thing, considering that there's no traditional "Score" field in two-player mode.

15. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    In the cut scene after the final boss in Sonic 2, when Sonic falls, you can go in placement mode and move in a very restricted area (and you can't fall). Since there is a floor, it is possible to die by putting a monitor with placement mode, hitting it from below and letting it fall on Sonic. Sonic will lose a life and the cut scene will simply start over, including the black & white pictures. If Sonic loses all his lives, the "game over" music will play, but the "GAME OVER" text won't appear, the cut scene will continue even after the music has ended, the large Sonic will still appear and the staff roll will show as usual.

It is important to do this rather quickly, because when Sonic lands on the plane (or after crossing the plane as Super Sonic), you will not be able to move him, even with placement mode.

16. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I can understand the SRA vocals. Here is what I hear:

"Bokken" "Bokken" (Repeated) "Beat this-Beat this Bokken" "Beat this Beat —das Bokken" "Beat this Beat—das Bokken" (Repeat) "Beat This Beat This—the Bokken" "Beat this Beat—das Bokken" "Beat this Beat—das Bokken" "Beat this Beat This—the Bokken"

I think it's mangled Engrish. And German!

17. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    "Bokken" is a word?

18. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Considering SRA's music, it could be from just about any non-dead language. I think it's Japanese, but I'm no expert.

19. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Could always be Bokkun, for a Sonic X tie-in. :p

20. peanutbuttercake

peanutbuttercake

A few Krabbys short of a Kingler Member
    [​IMG]

I was fooling around with debug mode, not expecting anything interesting to pop up, and then this happened. Two (fully functioning) Eggmen at once.

It's complicated but I've able to reproduce it pretty easily on Mega Collection. It involves going along Knuckles' paths in debug after the level catches on fire but before killing the miniboss. I made a youtube video of it in action.