don't click here

soniNeko, my hack of Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by nineko, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    I can definitely say it's good so far. And Mario 64 tunes ftw

Hell ,I thought I get a shield while playing panic mode, doesn't work and I get killed by a bomb that was stuck in a ramp. But hey it's awesome

2. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I want to see a video of someone beating the Spring Yard Boss with 256 hits without using debug mode.

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Really easy actually. Just a pain. :P

4. KingKombat

KingKombat

PANIC MODE: I'd love to see the AVGN try that :P

5. Jenna

Jenna

Yeah, I'm that sexy. Oldbie
    America
    level layouts, life
    Good Morning Zone was confusing as hell. And half of the music tracks sounded like they were taken directly from nintendo's sound system. Other than that, it was amazingly executed.

6. Ice God

Ice God

Earthbound Fanboy Banned
    O shit the flintstones.

This hack is okay, but the soundtrack is one of the most insane for a game, period, I've ever heard. The songs themselves are mostly okay, I especially love the Mario 64 music. Excellent work.

Also, I hear some F-Zero as well, do I not?

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, tracklist is on the wiki page (http://info.sonicretro.org/SoniNeko)

8. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    <3

Stephen's palettes are awesome, soundtrack is awesome, your palettes are awesome, everything basically, is awesome.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, I don't know that I like the arrangement of Vampire Killer, but most of this stuff (basically everything else) is really good.

10. STE

STE

I swear on my life, Panic Mode is SO GOD DAMN FUN.

Also, glad to see that you fixed the speed on the credits. Usually Sonic would zoom through the stage. =\

SM 64 File select tune sounds a bit weird though. Loving it so far. :thumbsup:

11. Panic mode FTW. I love it.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Good to see you had a re-go at Metallic Madness (I've been going through the sound test =P). Very nice job!

Panic mode makes OL cry, aside from the hilarity of the item box noise. =P

13. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I love the hack. The new features are brilliant, but is there any way you could make the seconds in the time limit adjustable, or apply separate time limits to each level? I guess I'm just waiting for the time attack mode in Megamix, but I prefer the idea of racing through a level to save your life than racing through it to beat your best time.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    WARNING: A WALL OF TEXT APPEARS

Yes, but I don't know how to do that.

You can get outside from that chamber with the feather still "enabled" if you collect that monitor and jump with a good timing.

I like Choco Mountain, too :thumbsup:
    For palette 02, credit goes to Stephen.

Thanks.

Yes.

D:

Yeah, I know this is nothing special overall-y, but the soundtrack really stands out. At least, I hope so :)

Awesome.

I converted that specific version for a friend. But since his hack won't come anytime soon, I thought to use it too. And thanks for everything else. :)

Thanks! It is meant to be :)

Yes, now all the demos use the default speed and acceleration.

:)

Yes, I can make the seconds adjustable, but then the game would slow down to perform the checks that make the HUD flash red. I decided to keep the seconds fixed at 59. And no, I'm not going to add per-level time limits, as I placed time monitors in all the levels (including Death Match) to make them beatable in less than 0:59.

---

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone! Keep the comments coming! :)

Now, question time. I'm curious.
    1. How many of you could reach the secret bonus stage so far?
    2. How many of you found all the note monitors, thus enabling the alternate song in Death Match?
    3. What do you think of the voice clips ("Get Ready" and "You Very Good")?
    4. What are your favorite songs? And the least favorites?
    I need opinions, opinions!!! :P

15. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Wait, Mario's voice is still in there? I think you should replace it with the thing Sonic says when you get an A rank in Sonic Adventure 2 (iirc, it's, "that was amazing").

I haven't heard th "get ready" line yet, but the best "get ready" line I've heard is the one from Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram. Also, the "Sonic got through act" music sounds like the hamster dance.

16. nineko

nineko

italy
    It's right after the SEGA screen, and it's from Pang 3.

17. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    How about 59 and 29, then? I'm a little too shit to complete all the levels in a minute, even with the monitors, but 1:59 is a little too easy in some places.

I haven't played enough of the hack to answer any of your questions yet, sorry.

18. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    I favored White Land, MK64 tracks, and Guile's theme because we all know we love Street Fighter. Can't answer the 2nd question. With those tracks that a selected few know about , it's something new to those who would able to pick out the Sega or Nintendo music

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I am big on the one "Hero" song for DDR. For some reason that song always sticks out as particularly memorable, and is probably one of the best conversions.

20. nineko

nineko

italy
    That's because it's song 84, and we all know that 84 is the most awesome number ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.