don't click here

Super Sonic Spin Attack/Jump

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by PicklePower, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    So recently, it was discovered that there was no such thing as a "spindash", but there is a "Spin Dash". The original name for the attack, from the Sonic 2 US manual , is actually the "Super Dash Attack." Sonic 3 calls it the "Spin Dash Attack" and Sonic & Knuckles calls it the "Spin Dash." So because of that, the article has been renamed Spin Dash because that is its most well-known name, and a reference to its original Sonic 2 name was made at the beginning of the article

Now another problem is what jumping is called. In Sonic 1 it is called the "Super Sonic Spin Attack." In Sonic 2, it is called "spin jump" (no caps). In Sonic 3, it is called the "Super Spin Attack." In Sonic & Knuckles, it is simply called "Jump." So the first question is, what is the jump attack's most well-known name, and what should it be referred to as in an article?

The second question: the Sonic 3 manual calls jump "Super Spin Attack," but the Sonic 2 manual says the "Super Spin Attack" describes the attack Sonic makes when he's rolling in a ball on the ground and when he jumps from that roll. The Wiki has two articles: Spin jump and Super Spin Attack. So we need to figure out how these articles should be combined, and what the best way is to explain the different namings among games for the same attacks (and same name for different attacks).

2. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Sonic CD manual calls jumping a "Spin Attack" on page 7. Rolling while running is the "Super Spin Attack". The rolling charge similar to but very different from the the Spin Dash in Sonic 2 is called the "Super Spin Dash." Sonic holding onto a pole is called the "Super Grip." :P (Page 8)

Sonic 2: The Secret Admirer calls the spinning motion the "Sonic Spin" on page 3.

Sonic 3: Up Against the Wall calls the jump spin the "Sonic Spin" on page 9. So both of them most likely refer to the spinning motion and increased velocity, regardless of direction.

I'm getting more books up to provide as sources as well.

The jump attack has some form of the word "Spin" in it, in all iterations, with the odd exception of S&K.
    The spin dash has the word "Dash" in it, in all iterations.

The word "Super" was arbitrarily added to anything to make it seem more important or cooler, and "Sonic" was added back when Sonic was the only important character.

I can see, in the future, an article titled "Spin attack" about his rolling AND jumping and their various incarnations and names in the franchise.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The books are not canon, so we won't be using those as a reference.

As far as I can tell, the full, most accepted name of the move is the "Super Spin Attack," in full as it is directly referenced in part of in full more than once, even as recently as Sonic Adventure (which calls it the Spin Attack); it should thusly be called that, no matter how flashy the "super" was meant to be. That's my consensus.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Spin Dash - charge up from start and release as rolling ball
    Spin Attack - jumping/rolling from moving

Not hard, people.

EDIT: I speel rite gud

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Did we ever come to a conclusion here? Are we going to merge the articles, or what?

6. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    At least merge Spin jump and Spin Attack for now. I can rewrite the articles somehow so all 3 fit together

7. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    without studying manuals, I've always called his spindash, a spindash. the one where he's must duck then press jump and rev up. the other moves were too basic for me to even think of naming them.

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Adding the word 'super' in front of the name just makes it sound more exciting. I wouldn't look too much into this really. You have the spin dash, and you have the spin attack (which can be jumping or on the floor -- it's still a spin attack).

9. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Yeah, I was planning on calling the article "Spin attack" and detail all the incarnations.

10. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    There needs to be a new Sonic anime done in the style of a Super Robot anime like Getter Robo, where he's all badass and manly and yells out SUUUUPPPER SPIIIN DASSSHHUUU!!!

11. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan

Sonic Slide and Punch! Member
    Yozora
    I remember reading an article about a hack and it says it features: "that twirly thing Sonic does in the air." It's Sonic the Sequel.

But I always just called it jump. Even when I read each and everyone of the manuals (except for Sonic and Knuckles, which I got second hand) I never called his jump attack, "spin attack." I always just called it "jump."

12. By "that twirly thing" he doesn't mean jump, he means the spring animation used in Megamix and quite a few other hacks - see this.

13. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan

Sonic Slide and Punch! Member
    Yozora
    oh... ;)

14. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    Knuckles' Chaotix says the jump attack is a "Spin Attack", but I don't know if it can be considered a main franchise reference. Also, it calls the rolling attack the "Super Spin" and the spin dash the "Spin Dash" (redundant). Do whatever with this info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.