don't click here

Anonymous Wiki Editing is now gone

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tweaker, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Since some people found it appropriate to abuse the ability to edit the wiki anonymously, this ability has been removed. If you want to edit the wiki, it is now mandatory to register an account. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes legitimate anonymous wiki editors.

2. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Thank you.

3. Yeah, seems like there have been quite a few vandals lately. The only regular non-vandal anonymous editor I can remember is that 218.something guy who keeps adding stuff to various credit lists.

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Well, I hope this has the effect that you want and I hope it don't discourage people from editing the wiki further. Mario wiki requires registration to edit articles, but they get alot more activity. The activity on ours is relatively low, if you don't count our regular editors, which is usually members of administration. Besides the annonymous guy that adds to the credits, I know there are other useful anonymous editors that are useful, but the ones that get banned from wiki editing seem to outnumber them.

5. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    By the way, when is the last time the Wiki was backed up? I understand that the forums are supposedly backed up every month.

6. Yuzu

Yuzu

Just a question, couldn't staff check who the anonymous editor was?

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Given only an IP address there is little to nothing you can do to find out who was using that IP. You can use some services like dnsstuff to retrieve some informations about the city, but most of that depends on the ISP.
    Also, this is what proxy servers are for. Look at me using proxies in China and in Russia, and you won't find me in a million years.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah. The image macro of "GOOD LUCK, I'm BEHIND 7 PROXIES" does have a point.

9. Yuzu

Yuzu

I say, have anonymous editing but it requires an account, would be easy to track and that way people can edit things that they don't want to be seen editing or tracked, though I guess minor edit has the same purpose.

10. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Emphasis is mine. How can it be anonymous editing if it is tied to an account? Tying it into an account, by default, makes the editing non-anonymous, as they can track your edits to you, or at least to whatever account you use on the wiki. Unless there is some loophole here I'm missing.

11. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    On the forums, you can sign in as anonymous, so people don't know who you are, but you can post do everything as normal. Same thing can be applied there.

12. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Thanks, Tweaker. By the way, I took care of the asshole who spammed up the fangames section of the Wiki. Good times.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Oh yeah? Who was it, out of curiosity?

14. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Blazefire, that asshole who impersonates BlazeHedgehog on a regular basis and bandodges Sonic forums like no other. Of all the banned accounts at SFGHQ, 94% of them are him. Somebody managed to trick him into fessing up to the Wiki vandalism. I knew it was him right away anyway, because of the similar spelling errors and the "SOTI RULES" remark smack dab in the middle of the gratuitous amount of swear words.

If you ever see somebody register from btcentralplus.net to this forum, it's more than likely him. It's doubtful that he passes the test though. The kid's mentally ill (aka fuckin' retarded).

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Hasn't he been banned at almost every forum, there was that "I r blazefire" joke, meh, he beats my record at getting banned, I know that for sure. Anyway, just a question how long did this abuse last from, I just found it strange how it was all similar accounts that I saw before hand, but that was only about a week before the feature got removed.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Considering BT is the UK's biggest ISP, I wouldn't say that. I know for a fact at least one moderator on this board has BT as an ISP.

17. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Ah, I did not know that. Disregard that comment then.

18. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Hell, I'm pretty sure he's been banned at his own forum a few times. Don't ask me how, I just know it happened

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Good decision to disable anonymous editing, stupid spammers replacing pages such as Sonic 1 Megamix with shit like "S", although there were some good anon editors, most were just fuckers having fun.
    Oh & Blazefire's at it again, trying to blame me? Retarded block of shit he is.