don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    I think it's going to be rather difficult to recreate all the original SFX while at the same time capturing their familiarity. I also don't see the point in it when we could just use the same SFX from the more modern Sonic games that have already remastered them. However, anyone is welcome to experiment.

Edit: There was something I forgot to suggest though.

I would like to hear some attempts at new sound effects. For example, when Sonic runs past the waterfalls in Emerald Hill, I think it would add to the atmosphere and ambience if the rushing of the water could be heard. Also when Sonic runs on the water of the waterfall, I think it would be great if a paddling or splashing sound effect kicked in.

2. Flappie

Flappie

Paris
    OK, I'll keep trying from time to time then :thumbsup:

I just ripped the S2 original ring sound. It is here (better sound quality than the one posted earlier). For some reason, in the sound test menu, the ring sound end too early. I may redo the end of it.

I think the Sonic Heroes sound should be ripped again as well, so we have both in their original quality. I'm looking for it.

About the waterfall: water sounds are really not easy to do, I know that, but I'll try. I think it can be great.

EDIT: I ripped the Sonic Heroes ring sound, there is no difference with the one uploaded earlier. The poor quality is from the original.

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Creaking bridges would be nice. Also, water sounds are easy to do - just stand next to a waterfall with a microphone.

4. Don't worry about the topic issue. I can understand why you felt it didn't belong under music, but this thread isn't so active that we can't discuss both sound effects and music here. :thumbsup:

Regarding the waterfall idea, I think that's actually worth exploring. Short of recording one, I think maybe something like pink or white noise with some extra bass would be a good starting point.

5. Fred PJ

Fred PJ

Can anyone please point me how can I produce or get 100% correct speed/tempo MIDI files? Is this possible?

I'd like to try a different approach and just replace the DAC sound percussion with high quality samples, then mix it with the original great YM2612+PSG music, to have a good balance between the classic original sound and high fidelity sound. But for this I would need some MIDI files that exactly matched the speed of the original music, or some similar alternative.

6. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Doesn't GYM2MID or VGM2Mid produce accurate conversions?

7. mario

mario

Hi folks,

It's my very first post here. I've been following this project since the begining and I feel it's time to step in and offer some help. Unfortunately I can't really do anything with vectors or programming. I can rewrite music quite easily though, in an educated manner.

I've listened to some of the work done so far and decided to try a very simple drowning theme.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/12/1956908/drown.mp3

High strings, electric bass and drums only. This is not based in any midi, I just listened to the music and wrote down what I heard. I'm planning to build a lot more of drama in it by inserting some voices and brass instruments. Thus, it would be a mix of pumping rock drums/bass sounds and some orchestra for terror mood. Please note this is some poor midi sound. SoundFounts can give a much better result. If any of you know were to get a good soundfound pack or something please let me know!

I hope you are scared after listening to this beta. :lol:

Feedback is obviously welcome.

8. Flappie

Flappie

Paris
    Death Metal drowning! :) It's cool.

9. Sokaris

Sokaris

Here is a man who stood up. Member
    Very nice. I can't wait to see what you do with it later.

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I vote for the SA:DX drowning music so far.

mario: it sounds like you're using the wrong instruments

Any SFX remaking should sound more like a remastering, only in this case, there were no masters (unless I'm mistaken)

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Regarding the rings, isn't the sound used in every game since Sonic Adventure just a lower-rate sampled sound from the 16 bit games?

12. Hmm...How about killing the song (Via putting in a blank .bin) and getting a ring? Seeing if it isn't cut off that way. As for the ring sound used in games, see which one Sonic '06 uses, I think it's a good sample rate.

Edit: Working on a few tracks right now, stay tuned! =P

13. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I am liking the strong bass CPZ has. CNZ is pretty groovy, but is more like the Good Future version than anything.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Those aren't too bad at all! They sort of lack personality, though, which is why I can't say "hey, let's go with these!"; sorry.

15. Any suggestions to improve them? I haven't done this sorta thing in a while, so it'll take me a few tries to get it right :P

16. mario

mario

Irixion,

Awesome work, you almost nailed it. I have some comments though. Maybe the high pitched chords in the very begining of CPZ (and everything that follows in this instrument) would sound very interesting with a clean guitar tone, funky style. What do you think? In addition, the main melody would be awesome with an agressive synth tone. CNZ is technically perfect and the variations sound nice.

Another attempt at the drowning theme:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/12/195...ing%20Synth.mp3
    Just a weird synth with the previous drums and bass. Disturbing, as it should be.

And this is an over the top orchestral drowning :lol: Just for fun, but maybe I got a jackpot?
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/12/195...20Orchestra.mp3

Still crappy midi sound. I must try and get some soundfonts.

Comment please.

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This one wins, so far. It crescendos very nicely (Nice work with the brass there), I can imagine this inducing quite a lot of panic.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    GYM2MID? ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Hell no, that app's a fucking mess (or at least it was the last time I tried to). Try doing rips of any Lemmings theme with it for example.

Can't speak for the other app.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It's more or less the same. Also, it doesn't work with optimised 2612 VGMs, due to the way they store the DAC samples. Unoptimised 2612 VGMs can be converted, but the results are hilarious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.