don't click here

Sonic AX

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LordOfSquad, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    So, this is your typical Sonic 1 hack. Boring and plain, being made mainly for my own entertainment. However, I might feel compelled to share it if interest is high enough.Planned Features:-New Palettes-New Layouts (Special Stages Included)-Remixed SongsWishful Features (Which I will only put in if I eventually get the know-how. Help in these fields would be appreciated. =D):-Minor ASM (Spindash, etc)-Compressed Art (Courtesy of SCAA)Without further ado, screenshots:Plush Plains Zone:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Progress on this level is going along nicely, but isn't Green Hill always that way?Snowpeak Shrine Zone:[​IMG][​IMG]Sadly, this level is absolutely fucked at the moment. Marble is harder to edit than I thought it would be.Roundbout Rapture Zone:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I don't have any of this zone's layout done, but the pallet looks nice, wouldn't you agree?Anyway, I would really like some feedback/assistance with this project. I've always wanted to make a great Sonic hack. Thanks for taking the time to check my hack out!

2. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    The Green Hill palette strikes me as way too bright. In my opinion, Sonic 2 SMTP barely pulls off a green-soiled level, and this isn't doing any better. The Marble palette is great; it just needs the "indoor" bricks' colors tweaked to contrast a bit more. I'd have to see Spring Yard in action before I knew how that'd do.

There's not much more I can comment on from still shots. Only thing I'd like to add would be that if you could press enter after a zone name or a screen, it'd do my eyes a favor. Show us the hack in motion and we'll be able to say a lot more. :P

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    I would love to make a video of the game in motion, but I can't find a working version of Gens Movie. If someone can supply, I'd be more than happy to make a video.

I'll also be sure to tweak the pallets. Now that you mention it, I do need to make PPZ's pallet alot darker, or do something with it that will make it look more unique next to S2 SMTP. Anyway, thanks very much!

4. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    For finding things for Sonic modding, our wiki is your friend.

5. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    In all honesty, I can't handle all the green. For a first hack, though, it seems like a fairly straightforward, simple beginning. =)

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Made some pallet tweaks.

[​IMG]

Introducing PPZ's new pallet. I can't say that it's perfect, as it's far from it. I'd like to think that it's an improvement though. What do you think? Is it a step in the right direction?

[​IMG]

And this is just showing off a tweak I made to the indoor pallet. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to fix this level's layout, and get Gens Movie working. As always, feedback is encouraged!

7. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    the dark sky in GHZ goes much better with the green palette. That's not nearly as jarring.

8. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Come on, the grass looks as if someone took a shit all over it.

SSZ's pallete looks cool. Also, it's nice to see someone using the SCD/S3D naming scheme.

9. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    Maybe you could add some variation to the grass so it's not the same color as the ground? Add some yellow or blue.

RRZ looks nice. Has sort of a Stardust Speedway BF vibe.

10. That Marble Zone pallette looks freaking AWESOME :(

11. ZFG

ZFG

Norway
    I agree with Oerg866, the palette is awesome ;) Looking forward to it.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From that bright monstrosity to the new lush look. That's how far a little help can go. Thanks!

Anyway, I haven't been working on this much, but I'll resume work this weekend.

13. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ok, turd hacker question here. Is it possible to either port what work I've done to a split disassembly, or insert the compressed art I've chosen into my ROM another way?

As well, I have a pallet done for Aqua Arena (Labyrinth) done now, and while I would love to post pictures, I'm currently on a school computer.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If you used SonED1, you can easily dump all the files you need by doing File -> Write Data -> File -> All
    This will create several files which contain the object placement, the layout, the palettes, and maybe something else I forgot.
    You just have to rename those files and put them in the correct folder of your split disassembly.
    For example, S1OBJ.DAT becomes ..\objpos\ghz1.bin, S1FG.DAT becomes ..\levels\ghz1.bin and so on.
    The only thing you have to edit by hand is Sonic's starting position, which appears in ..\misc\sloc_lev.bin; the easiest way you have to do that is to start your ROM with the layouts in debug mode and look at the coordinates that appears in the debug HUD, then write those coordinates (in hex) in sloc_lev.bin

And this, my friend, is how I got Good Morning Zone in my hack. Yep, I refuse to use SonED2.

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Awesome stuff nineko, I might be able to resurrect my sunken city zone, since I 'lost' it, but have a ROM which SonEd1 can read. Nice.

16. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    The background pallette for Rapture Zone reminds me of the video to Hurt - Rapture
    Look it up on youtube if you don't know =P

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hm! Interesting. Never heard of that song, but I do like it, and the video does remind me of the pallet a bit. Odd.

Anyway, as promised, here are some shots of Aqua Arena. Like Roundbout Rapture, the layout hasn't been touched yet. Fun Fact: This pallet was inspired by my friend who pressured me into putting pastel colors into my hack somewhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As well, the advice is well appreciated. Thanks Nineko! Maybe I'll get some compressed art going soon.

18. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    They're hardly pastels - Snowpeak Shrine is, though.

That's an... interesting palette you have there. Are we going to see more than just colours?

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    But of course. It would hardly be a hack if it were just pallets. And if it were, I certainly wouldn't feel like posting it here. I'd love to make a video of the hack in action, but Gens Movie is WAY too user-unfriendly, not to mention it requires disk space that I don't have. Would there be any alternatives as far as movie recording goes?

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You can use a screen recorder tool, like TechSmith Camtasia Studio (which is the one I use, but there are many others around).

Gens Movie isn't that hard to set up, anyway. You can even record yourself doing a TAS (read: Tool Assisted Speedrun) of your hack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.