don't click here

Sonic Jam commentaries tell all~

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    I bet people from the old Sonic Team read this all the time and get a laugh at the fact we can't figure out anything without anything physical to look in depth to. It was probably just an Idea that never came to be. Who knows, it could have been what Sonic Crackers is to Knuckles' Chaotix being a test.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, I don't care—asking nicely here does a lot of good, because if we're all at each others' throats, nothing will get done. If you're respectful and they aren't respectful back, then I'll take care of it. Until then, I will not tolerate people being negative like that when it can be handled without hostility.

3. OH SHIT I've BEEN FOUND! *cloaks and changes disguise*

Seriously though...I really wounder if Sonic Team knows about this site and looks at it for kicks to see what some REALLY devoted fans are doing. =P

4. MoI

MoI

Rex Member
    Perhaps by doing so they found out we like prototypes so much and release their Sonic games half completed.

Poor Sonic Team - you just can't with with us. =/

5. Ouch, way to burn Sonic Team on that one. =P Anyway...umm...someone say something interesting and relevant to the topic please. ^.^;

6. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I just tried putting the two melodies together, and you're right, they fit perfectly.
    I'll put together an MP3 later on if you guys want.

7. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    They're both "waltzes". That's why their music matches. There was an old theory using that as a base to say that HPZ's music was the original S2 SS music and wasn't for HPZ at all. =P

8. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    Woah. I initially dismissed it, since the fact that both songs are in 3/4 (or 6/8, whatever floats your boat) makes them automatically seem similar, but then I decided to synchronize them and see what happens. They ARE strikingly similar, but I can't tell if that was unoriginal composing, a weird coincidence, or intentional.

Here's what I did (HPZ panned left, SS1 panned right).

http://rs265.rapidshare.com/files/11921412...ddenspecial.mp3

9. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    Hidden Palace Zone music is nothing more than the music for Hidden Palace Zone.

The way I've always viewed it, is when listening to HPZ's music, it's got the style and the kind of mood that a dark and medieval palace would have. I mean you could see Queen Lizzy the first rocking out to HPZ and not thinking it too bizzare.

The way I see it, Masato Nakamura gets a breif saying what the zone is about, and for HPZ takes the word "palace" slightly more literally then he perhaps should have, and went with the "palace" theme of music despite HPZ being more caverns than actual palace.

I've always felt that was common sense. Saying HPZ is a play on S1 special stage music just cause they're very vaguely similar and they both "have emeralds" is a random connection to make in my eyes. I wouldn't think that far into it.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  11. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    Nope, no speed change. The only thing I did was move Special Stage forward so it starts on count one of the second measure of HPZ (which has that one-measure introduction).

12. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I kind of hated to switch sides but:

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/c/cd/Son...Harticle4GB.jpg

This clip seems to imply that during sonic cd's early days people thought it was a port of sonic 2. I guess due to sega being stingy with information. Also, it may have been the second sonic game announced to be in development which led people to call it sonic 2.

13. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    They call Amy "Rosy". It's the second time I see a magazine calling her like that.

14. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Check. Mate. =P

15. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    there's still no absolute proof of it "existing" or "not existing". Speculation is not fact and until we can prove without a doubt one way or the other. The argument is pointless as it's all based on theories from two different sides. Theories don't hold any ground in this community any longer. The confusion between the two, however, does seem like a logical explanation.

16. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    What magazine is that from? And why is its grammar so bad?

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, okay, that makes sense.

So with that established, do we really need a Sonic 2 CD article? I mean, this pretty much proves that it never existed, and that it was simply a misinterpreted announcement for Sonic CD.

I don't think Sonic CD was the second ever announced Sonic game, though, because they were describing Sonic CD being an "enhanced" version of Sonic 2, meaning Sonic 2 was already announced at that point.

18. MathUser

MathUser

I think the article should be preserved, cause we can't be 100 percent sure that it wasn't real. The disney adventures article shown in another thread shows the development of sonic 2 and it also shows graphics that EGM says was displayed in a cutscene used to promote sonic 2 cd.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Image:Disney_Ad...ureSonic2CD.PNG

Sonic 2 was created almost entirely in america, and I think sonic cd was created entirely in japan. There was little interaction between the two. I wonder why Sonic cd would use spriteart created in america? Or did US import that sprite art to US instead and happen to have it handy while disney was there?

Edit: that magazine article I linked to in my previous post was from some magazine called MegaTech, hence the file name.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Didn't her nickname use to be "Rosey the rascal"?I think I read that somewhere (Sonic the fighters?).

The less farfetched explanation would be that the sprite art shown wasn't connected to either Sonic 2 or Sonic CD...

20. MathUser

MathUser

yes, but according to egm, the sprite art was connected to one of them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.