don't click here

Sonic Jam commentaries tell all~

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Hmph, another word storm.

Personally the GCZ thing is what I'm focused on. 'Time Travel' relies upon things we don't know yet (if ever.)

Originally I thought people would just leave it as 'interesting speculation' and not turn into a word storm, but naturally this happened.

See, at one end I see the obvious need to clamp down on speculation, but on the other side I see educated guesses being attacked rather than filed away. The kind of speculation that seems to be unfit here is the kind involving wild leaps of faith, and some of that IRC stuff does just that—I can't deny that.

On the other hand, we have a question of what those scrapped zones had in common. Time travel? Maaaybe.

So, what I'm saying is that I see the different sides of this argument and believe that it may be better if we split the discussion about what we know (Genocide City Zone) from that which we don't (Speculation about time Travel and Brenda Ross) to avoid further confusion?

2. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    Anyone have pics of that?

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Try here. I mean, here.

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
  5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    -It's not Brenda Ross.
    -It's not from any Sonic game, just for a promotional video or something similar.

Somebody please post the whole article those pics were taken from. I believe it explained it.

6. MathUser

MathUser

The article may not have been about Sonic 2 CD, but those graphics definately are related.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Image:Sonic_2_CD.jpg

that's from a EGM article, EGM is usually pretty reliable. And its obvious that the images on those monitors are one in the same as what's in the EGM article.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...It says those are from a demo, not from Sonic 2 CD.

And besides, it's just obvious from the angel pic, etc.

EDIT:
    Sure, they were making the demo.

8. MathUser

MathUser

This is the exact quote from the article..
    "Here are a few of the fantastic intermissions for the Sonic 2 CD that Sega showed at the Summer CES in Chicago. The Sega CD version is said to be almost identical to the cart, but features CD quality music tracks, sound effects, and excellent cartoon like intermissions. These screens are from a demo and may not appear in the final Sega CD version of Sonic 2."

It says the intermissions are for the Sonic 2 CD. True the screens are from the demo, we don't know if they would have been used in the final game, but it was at least present in the demo. Thus, the images are sonic 2 cd related.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Do I really need to point out that Robotnik's ship in those pics is the Sonic 1 design... or that an angel scribbling something wouldn't fit anywhere in sonic 2?

They obviously got their information wrong, that demo can't be Sonic 2 related. Perhaps SEGA called it something vague like Sonic Mega-CD demo or something, and they assumed it was from Sonic 2 CD.

It's most likely just a Mega-CD demo running in real time, to showcase the possibilities of their new system.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=196978:date=May 24 2008, 01:33 PM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ May 24 2008, 01:33 PM) [​IMG]

:)

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's a shame that ended being just a mockup... =\

12. [​IMG]

I agree that the Angel is out of place, looking more like slomething for an educational game. But I wouldn't eliminate the idea that this has something to do with Sonic 2 CD. EGM would state something like "this is a demo with no title for the official game yet, but it appears to be a version of Sonic for the Sega CD."

Though I'd say it's a little likely that perhaps these images are for more then one Sonic game on the CD? Yes I know, there's pretty much nothing to back that up, but in the case that they were working on the idea of more then one Sonic CD-based game, It'd make some sense to modify one loading screen. It'd save time and keep consistency across the multiple games.

The only reason I mention this idea, is because they various loading screens don't seem very related to one another.

Plus, I'd like to point out that the articles says "Sonic 2 CD that Sega showed at the Summer CES in Chicago". I'm pretty the demo would likely include some sort of title at the show. Whatever the title was, it's probably what EGM would use.

13. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
  14. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    There's a Sega Force article from Sonic-Cult (dated July 1992) that describes a Sonic 2 prototype being tested at the Chicago Consumer Electronics Show on May 28, 1992. It has one playable level with Robotnik flying down from his helicopter to a mole driller machine (very likely a description of Emerald Hill Zone). It's the Mega Drive version, though. Now we know that development of the game started at least in May (in terms of concept drawings, engine building, etc.)

In terms of the earliest mention of the Sega CD version, a Sega Visions article from its August/September '92 issue claims Sonic 2 will be released on MD, Game Gear, and Sega CD. The Sega CD version would have had additional zones, relative to the mega drive version, with special bonus rounds between zones, roller coaster rides, half pipe mazes with enemies, etc.

What's interesting to me is the discretions between the July article, and this Sega CD article. Were there two Chicago conventions during the summer of '92?

15. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Didn't the translation say that wasn't a real game? Now I'm quite confused.

EDIT: Link

17. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Hmm, it might be a similar albeit different CD I am speaking of, then. I'm not sure. I'm sure the thing I found is an undumped sample/demo.

Edit: I had a pic of it, but I lost it, and I can't remember it for the life of me.

18. That pic makes me wonder if they had CDs as platforms =P

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Don't be so quick to say that the angel image couldn't fit in anywhere with Sonic CD...

[​IMG]

That statue also changes to Dr. Robotnik in the bad future, and we have 2 identical images of Sonic, one with an angel and one with Dr. Robotnik. I'm not saying there's a connection, but there COULD have been one.

I personally don't believe those images were ever apart of Sonic CD, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.