don't click here

Overclocking your Mega Drive

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Flygon, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Flygon

Flygon

Does anyone have a guide on how to overclock the Mega Drive, because while the concept does interest me the only tutorial I can find is in French and quiet honestly, it is all French to me.

And while I could find a link to another tutorial, it appears to have died of link-rot so I could use some help here, does anyone have a copy of an ENGLISH guide?

And yes, I googled.

2. Shade

Shade

extremely demanding on the hardware

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  4. Flygon

Flygon

that's not quiet the guide I am looking for, I am looking for a Model 2 guide.

Thanks for the help though.

5. Epicenter

Epicenter

Resident Ecco Fanatic Tech Member
    USA
    Ecco Prototype Documentation
    My instructions are applicable to the Model 2. However, just confirm your 68000's pinout. Pin 15 will always be Clock Input, but sometimes Halt is moved to a different pin. You don't even need to sweat a 68K halt switch if you are using a crystal oscillator at a reasonable fixed frequency, like 9-12 MHz.

6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    you can get 10MHz out of MD2... if you go for more, prepared for crayziness (VDP will fail soon).

My masterpiece :
    [​IMG]

7. DarkLinkthe2nd

DarkLinkthe2nd

No deaths in the last 10 minutes! Member
    Blood Mod FTW.

8. Epicenter

Epicenter

USA
    Depends heavily on your system's arbiter-- maximum tolerated 68K speed varies from unit to unit. MD1s are universally better at overclocking, though, unless they are the extremely early revisions with a 2-part GLU chip and an EXT port (obvious from lack of TMSS.) Conversely, the best MD1 overclockers I've seen have Motorola or Hitachi CPUs, EXT ports, TMSS, and 1 part GLU. These have exceeded **25 MHz** with only some minor VDP/audio glitches. :D

BTW, you can host that image on imageshack.us and post a thumbnail so it doesn't break tables :)

9. Ah! Slick Deven, it's good to see you here at the sonic retro forums.

10. Epicenter

Epicenter

USA
    thanks for murdering the topic, DHG

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
  12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Have you ever used a Genesis 3? It's the shittiest Genesis model there is. It's full of cheap knockoff hardware, has various issues, and the sound is absolutely horrible. If you want it tricked out, then it should be tricked out with the original hardware parts so it's actually a credible Genesis model.

13. Yuzu

Yuzu

Hasn't someone already tried replacing the parts with the old parts before?

14. Epicenter

Epicenter

USA
    Tweaker-- full of cheap knockoff parts? It has one ASIC with all the main componentry integrated, including 68K, Z80, VDP, GLU, PSG and YM2612. The only external parts I recall are RAM and analog video/audio hardware. The ASIC is an official Sega part, and works how it should. The sound quality may not be as good because they could've chosen a shitty amp or poorly designed audio path; it's sort of a luck thing if you get a good or bad handful of audio components in an MD2, as well.

The real drawback to the Genesis 3 is no expansion port to add a Sega CD, and if you want to use a 32x or Virtua Racing you need to manually connect a couple lines from the ASIC to the cart slot because they just couldn't be bothered to do so. Any hardware that requires one of the reference clocks from the Genesis/MD (VCLK and EDCLK, ~7.67 and 13 MHz) needs that treatment in order to function.

As for overclocking a Genesis 3... you really can't. It's all one ASIC, so there's no way to break the clock path to the 68000 and supply your own signal. Unless you'd have the equipment necessary to work at a microscopic level inside an ASIC, which isn't something you'd have at home. :) So it's better to just grab a model 1 or 2 system.

15. Epicenter

Epicenter

USA
    Now that I think of it, you're probably looking at that french site that copied my guide verbatim and translated it. <_< Without linking back. <_< <_< <_<

16. Flygon

Flygon

Actually, that site had a guide for the Model 2, not Model 1 :P

17. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Unless you wanted to add more debug items without lag in Sonic games, why would you need an overclock job? It's understandable on Dreamcast and Xbox, but why Genny?

18. Flygon

Flygon

I want to be able to play F-11 Night Storm at a full speed frame rate.

And yes, it s a 3D game.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Other examples include F22 Interceptor and to a lesser degree Virtua Racing.

20. Epicenter

Epicenter

USA
    There's slowdown in most games, you just have to be able to recognize it. 3D games are definitely the worst culprits, rarely breaking 5-10 FPS. They're still pretty sluggish past 15 MHz and I had little luck getting them to run properly at over 20 MHz. I'm currently putting together a custom square wave generator to try and get better stability at such extreme speeds.. then maybe such games will be playable :)