don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

Some more try with lighting.

Well as stated many times, I'll stick to my schedule with frames.
    And that means first the original sonic animation frame numbers, Than some more inbetween frames. :(

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    This post will contain all related Sonic The Hedgehog's frames-animations.

3. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    As I posted before:

For the lighting on it, I would suggest maybe blending the colours of the highlights very slightly - as it does look a little odd seeing the colour go from a blue to light purple very quickly.

4. It looks a bit like his head is pulsing now. I'm a bit divided as to whether I like it better or not. Perhaps the second quill could have a more gradual transition too?

5. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    I'm reworking on the flashing issue, and adding some more details to let this animation being perfectly fluent.

From tomorrow to the end of the next week It'll be hell at work, so I'll slow down a little with new frames.
    However, after 5th May I'll have holidays, in which (guess what)I'll go on with our hero.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Don't lie, April 25th and May 1st are holidays here in Italy :P

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    For whose who have office jobs.. :P
    Flights doesn't have holiday! :(

8. Iapetus

Iapetus

Spinball Elitist Member
    *Sonic Animation made me a happy camper*

I don't mean to nitpick, but it seems Sonic's tummy protrudes like a bulging button in one of the frames. Not entirely sure if that is accurate to the source, but it looks odd. This brings up a problem - what if, no matter how accurate the HD art is, it looks ugly? The shading is a bit wonky as we see, but it looked fine in low rez format - at which point do we have the liberation to make changes? No matter what, people will bitch; just a matter of which decision receives less of it.

Knuckles looks fine, honestly. I think the ridge of the chin shading is meant to imply a lighter tint of the smirk or grin, but I don't think it matters much. Despite Knuckles and Tails being the same sprite in S2 and S3K, should Knux looks a bit simplified? What I mean is, Knux is a pretty complex character in terms of shading in comparison to Sonic and Tails, would we try to compensate or not? May be dumb to even consider, but I think it is pretty important to at least think about.

The Title Card looks great. Not sure how much work it took, but this stands as example to S2's great art direction - no liberties taken and looks fantastic. I wouldn't make any changes, but I am no art expert.

9. I think, having already mimicked the original so well, that if we see improvements then we should make them. This is a case of how what works at normal resolution may not work quite as well in HD, and therefore I would support tweaking it to compensate for that.

10. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    The only problem is that we must think of these improvements rather soon, because if we make too many similar sprites, changing the details in all of them so that it makes sense will be a total bitch to do.

That title card is great, but it raises a question: Do we want the actual title screen and title cards to have the HD tacked on? The project name is Sonic 2 HD, but it might look a bit odd tacked onto the end of the title all of the time.

Also, suggestion: Remember the 1024Protos release Skypechat? The one that lasted way longer than healthy but ended up being sorta fun? Skypechats are probably an easy way to communicate about this project; does skype have a sort of whiteboard feature, where people can post up images of things they've done, comment on it live, and then touch it up and repost it in the chat in realtime? That would be very productive I think for this project, since it's quite a bit faster than posting on the forum. Also, once 2:00 AM hits, randomness happens more, and fun skypechat clips are something that are commonly produced from that. ("You lame ass fuckers!" - I still have the recordings of that)

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    It looks fine now, but you must remember that this animation is never going to be going this fast. It'll be at about 1/3 to 1/2 that speed ingame, so it mighjt look a bit choppy. For the time being, though, it's fine.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, it looks very good, but there's a few things that feel a bit strange...

How about putting it side to side with the original frames, like we've been doing since the beginning? That would be the best way to compare.

Great job, by the way.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I think the main problem, as people have pointed out, is the shading on the top of his head which appears in the later frames. It makes his head look flatter, like a convex lens or something.

EDIT: but it does look great.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    [​IMG]

This is mainly to show the walk animation at different speeds.

16. Phazon

Phazon

Awsome work I would have to say :( . Yeah and I would also have to say something is wrong with the shading on his head.

17. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Amazing stuff.
    The animation doesn't look all bad at the slower speed shown in the one Chimpo posted. This is really good work.
    Keep it up ;P

18. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks Chimpo,

Could you suggest me a good gif animator for importing vector art into?

19. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Well, try using this in a layer name.
    (100ms) = 100 Milliseconds
    (500ms) = 500 Milliseconds

...and so on.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Just a word of advice guys. The walk animation doesn't need more frames, it's fine the way it is.

Unless you're trying to make this into the next Disney movie, 8 frames is enough. If this were Sonic 1 however, then I would have suggested more since that's only a 6 frame walk animation.

The animations that will need more however are usually the simple ones like the looking up, crouching down or minor stuff like that. The old games could get away with just 1 inbetween frame because the visuals were so small that it made them seem fine. But once you blow it up and give it the same detail like these, then you're going to notice the real difference.