don't click here

Sonic Pocket Adventure Demo (Possibly a Late Proto?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mdm7923, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I Googled Sonic Pocket Adventure the other day, and came across a sort of "Alternate" version. It is a Demo version that would have been played in stores, as only the first zone is available for play, as well as the special stage. unfortunatley sonic doesn't have his different pose (as in the Beta) but there still is a pretty cool Intro and a garbled SEGA sound, so It could be a very late prototype as well

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RANXEGOX

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Very intersting! Where did this come from? Was it reciently dumped or something? I know I've never seen it.

Too bad it looks like it could just be a demo of the final, but it does have that neat intro.

3. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Well now this is interesting. I don't think I have seen it before either.

Info about the source?

4. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    Nice find... I'm also curious about the source. I'm guessing just some random store lackey that took the cart once the store was done with it, but who knows.

5. Heh, this is the same prototype that I mentioned a sibling of mine owned back in 2006, though I had absolutely no proof and should have waited until posting.

6. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Is there anything remarkable about this? Should we put it on the wiki if it turns out to only be a one level demo with no differences?

7. Well, the intro was never in the original, and there were no voices either.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well now I feel like a jackass. =\ I guess you never really were that dumb in the first place.

This is rather interesting, though. What does the Japanese at the beginning say?

EDIT: Is there an emulator that doesn't produce all wave-based sound as garbage with this proto? The intro is extremely impressive, but if it's saying something, I can't make it out—not even the SEGA sound.

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
  10. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...c=6244&st=0

Wow yeah, you guys are dicks, though yeah that topic was rather messy from the outset.

THIS is why following any possible avenue of a prototype is acceptable. Someone who owns a Sonic 1 beta may turn out to be a total turd after all.

11. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    This is mislabelled. It's not a beta. It's a sample.

While this is interesting indeed, there's a huge difference between buying a sample in Japan and finding a prototype =P

12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    This reminds me of my friend's friend's friend (ugh, friend much?) giving him a wierd Sonic Advance cart with a different font, blue checkerboard (on the sticker), and it wouldn't hold a save. Upon me disassembling the cartridge physically, I found it had a gloptop with no battery.

Sadly, he took it back, and I have no evidence of this, so I don't expect to be believed.

It was the same logo as shown here, sans tails:

[​IMG]

13. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    <!--quoteo(post=188004:date=Apr 12 2008, 09:32 PM:name=Bibin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bibin @ Apr 12 2008, 09:32 PM) [​IMG][/quote]

Probably a pirate.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Right guys, I've manually overlayed the intro music and made a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyy9CsdXVfw

I don't know if it's exact, but it should be a pretty good representation of how it would have worked in-game.

Also, according to Ryoga, the scrolling text in the intro reads: "Finally... A supersonic action game... on the neo geo pocket!"

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, I can't really imagine seeing an intro like that in the final game, though it works as a preview trailer type of thing in-store (especially since Tails and Knuckles only have bit parts).

16. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.