don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Eek, this is why I should never draw things in less than 10 minutes:

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Looks much better than Yarharhar's one. But please, no buckles on classic Sonic.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Why not? Isn't it shown on the official S2 art?

I know it wasn't on the sprites though...

4. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    The art, yes, but even then I think that a lot of us didn't like the buckles even on his manual/cover/etc. art.

But uh, should I finish that drawing of Sonic I made on the last page? It took about 8 minutes, so it wouldn't be hard to make multiple frames.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Perhaps if, like Ristar (if I recall the Japanese version correctly) you use the frown when going up against bosses, or maybe just in the final level.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=187833:date=Apr 10 2008, 09:50 PM:name=Bibin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bibin @ Apr 10 2008, 09:50 PM) [​IMG]

Bigger version:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Just noticed that his shoes might be a little too perfectly pointy...

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

ICEKnight, I'm starting to hate drawing those damn buckles..
    Speaking of which, on the official art they are not so low but it's a pain to find a proper position.

By the way please keep posting those bigger edits, it helps me ALOT to compare. :)

8. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Good to see more progress and effort going into this.
    Why not try drawing another frame? =P

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oops, looks like I got used to the way they look in recent games. I've just made a new version with different buckles, and both shoes' shapes sligthly changed (less pointy, smaller soles, etc). I think they look a little better now.
    [​IMG]
    Detail:
    [​IMG]

10. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    LAWL I read the text in that swf as "a daft idea"

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You know... I think there should be a subforum for this HD-ize project (and others that may be started in the future).

That way, we could have split topics about the progress of each sprite group, backgrounds, the engine itself and other general stuff. Else, it's kinda difficult to locate each thing, and different discussions get mixed together.

I think it might deserve it, because this is something that almost any Sonic fan would be interested in, not just a minor thing.

12. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Am I really the only one who thinks that? :unsure:
    [​IMG]

13. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Quick note; you guys aren't doing this in raster formats are you? If this isn't in a vector format, someone needs to be hurt.

14. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
  15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I would lol so hard.

16. Spunodi

Spunodi

Regarding the mouth issue:

I always thought that Sonic 2s sprites looked better than Sonic 3s - this being because of the smile. Rather than arrogant, cocky and all that jazz, he appeared to be 'contented' - Knuckles hint of a grin was far more cocky and full of attitude in that game. The thing is, in Sonic 2, Sonic looked like a badass. Even the way he moved was confident, almost a swagger - "I own this place, bitches!"

So while the smile may be intended to convey Sonic's attitude as depicted in artwork everywhere, I think that for Sonic 2, the addition loses part of the charm the game had - by all means for a Sonic 3 sprite it is appropriate.

Also, Sonic Cd Intro - pay attention to his expression; he is taking care of business and is therefore serious. I think this should be reflected in general gameplay.

$0.02 added in.

Regards the project:

This is certainly very ambitious and if I could do any art I would add in - maybe I'll experiment this Summer but until then my time for projects is severely limited.

Cool work so far guys.

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Re-post due imageshack's upping problems.

[​IMG]

I'd like to move onto Sonic's next frames asap, it'll be the entire (12 frames in total)running sequence.

My planned schedule is:

1)Standing
    2)Running
    3)Jumping
    4)Braking
    5)Being hit
    6)Die
    7)All the rest

As ICEknight's suggested I agree in splitting this topic into a dedicated working area.

Maybe we could also get some sort of banner project to promote it and let some other artists lend us an hand.

I threw in some quick AD for example:
    [​IMG]

I'm putting so much energy into this, despite job's killing me, that I'll need some reasonable interval between drawing and relax, so progress could be slower if there's only me doing ALL frames and BGS)

Anyone willing to draw objects, like rings, spikes and TV's powerups?

;)

18. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    The running sequence is four frames, unless you mean the "8 of walking" and "4 of running"? Perhaps due to the high-definition-ness of this project, we should tween the walking animation to be 16 frames?

19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    The total of 12 is 8(gain speed)+4(speed max).

I will personally follow MD-only frameset, adding more could be done later on.

20. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Is there any news on the progress from the actual program yarharhar was making? I asked a couple pages back and was ignored..