don't click here

S&K Collection - Sonic 3 PAL artwork saying "PART ONE"?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by xdaniel, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xdaniel

xdaniel

As linked to on GoNintendo, GamesRadar has an article showcasing a bunch of artwork from the S&K Collection CD, among them MD and GG box artworks, complete with semi-stupid comments and such. Anyway, the Sonic 3 PAL artwork - which they couldn't place anywhere, wondering if it even was from a game - struck me as somewhat odd:

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/mind-boggling-...15468298078/p-6 - fourth picture from the bottom. It says "PART ONE" on it, naturally unlike the final box.

It's an useless "find" I guess - a "find" assuming it hasn't been mentioned before - but... Hell, just close this if it's old or whatever.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Holy fuck!

This is an excellent find! How come nobody ever noticed this before?

This is just more icing on the cake, I swear. You'd think the Sonic 3A/B/C deal was only a slightly plausible theory before—but what about now? :D

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I noticed that a long time back, when I had an old Windows 98 computer with no internet access. I didn't say anything about it since I thought it would have been mentioned before.

4. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I thought it would be redundant, also when I seen it I hadn't had membership here. I also thought it was on the final aswell.

5. xdaniel

xdaniel

So I noticed something interesting again? What the hell, why am I not having as much luck elsewhere? XD

Some questions by the way: I don't know much about the different character designs or drawing styles used in different parts of the world back in the MD days, so I wonder where this Sonic 3 artwork originated, and when? Was that Japanese-made or American- or European-made? I mean, I wonder if that could tell us something more about the Sonic 3 A/B/C deal, like when that idea was abandoned and such? ...all assuming there actually are different styles and such (seems like it to me anyway, comparing Sonic 1 and 2's PAL box), don't know much about all that as I said.

6. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Someone needs to tell these people that "unearthing" "lost" pictures that have been in Screensaver, Jam, and Gems Collection isn't really a big achievement. None the less, that's rather interesting. I never noticed that before.

7. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Never saw this before. Nice find.
    And also, on the same page, look at the Sonic 2 cover (sans text.)

Where is Sonic's other eye?

8. SwissCM

SwissCM

This might sound silly, but could his right hand be holding up 3 fingers due to the game being Sonic 3, and his left hand holding up 1 finger due to it being Part 1?

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Makes sense to me. I don't know if there would have been alternate boxart for part 2 (I'd hope there would!), nor if it would simply be the same as Sonic & Knuckles' boxart; I'd expect it to have a similar reference, though. Nice observation!

10. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Shade pointed this out to me months ago, I guess it just wasn't deemed newsworthy.

11. Shade

Shade

Uhhhh..

This is old as fuck. And I'm sure it's been pointed out before. Hell, I think -I- pointed it out at some point.

This artwork is even included in Gems collection's museum.

But yes, cool stuff nonetheless.

12. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Even I knew about this, but didn't post it because, like someone else, I thought it was already known.

Good job, though.

13. xdaniel

xdaniel

So, from what I can gather from the replys, it was known to those who, uh, know about such stuff, but no-one else because it wasn't really posted before as it was deemed insignificant, right?

Well, it's posted now, so this thread's worth at least a bit.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The plague of such things is that some people notice them, and others don't—but nobody ever wants to post about it in fear of being screamed at with masses of "OLD." Quite frankly, unless it's mentioned on the wiki or any other major Sonic site (spoiler: it's not) then it's "new." If something is noticed but not documented, then it's the fault of those who deemed it "insignificant." Combined with recent findings, this is, in fact, very relevant, and very significant.

In summary: I don't give two shits if you "noticed it before"; you didn't post it. I think this is worth noting somewhere on the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 article, in addition to Oerg's article translations, in order to elaborate further on the original intentions for Sonic 3's distribution.

15. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Nice find.

16. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    <!--quoteo(post=187872:date=Apr 11 2008, 12:58 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Apr 11 2008, 12:58 PM) [​IMG]

17. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
  18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I liked the blue Sonic 3 logo a little more than the yellow one, but it'd look not too different from Sonic 2's.

19. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    I noticed this years ago when my cousin's sister destroyed my Sonic 3 cover when he borrowed it, so I needed to print out a new one. My Sonic 3 box still has it as its cover :P

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I know this has been pointed out before, though now it's much more interesting because of the betas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.