don't click here

Post your modded MD/Genny !!!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by TmEE, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    The whole thing itself :
    [​IMG]

Custom sync mixer :
    [​IMG]

Night shot :
    [​IMG]

Some old pics when I experimented with my LCDs 15KHz RGB input support :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Current setup :
    [​IMG]

I am willing to do most of the mods I've done to my MD2. I have modded a MD1, MD2s and a Nomad. I'll be modding some Xeye, Wondermega, MCD and 32X in nearer future.

2. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    that's pretty damn cool.

One thing I don't see documented is the VGA out that's pictured further down, how was this achieved?

3. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    VGA is nothing more than RGBHV... MD outputs it... but your monitor needs to support 15KHz sync, mine supports it (though undocumented).

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I see, cool.

5. Skaarg

Skaarg

Wow that is awesome. I've always wanted to do a mod like that for some system, just haven't had the money, and didn't want to have to spend more money if I fucked up.

6. All I've got is a Genesis Model 1, that's not even hooked up to the TV. And a 32X that's sitting somewhere unused.

7. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    if you're not going to do anything with that 32X, is there any chance of donating it ? If required, I'll mod your MD1, and pay for my side shipping...

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    In before The Screensavers. ;)

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Keep regional restrictions on your mind. It may not work on your Mega Drive. But with your mods I'm sure you'll find a way around it.

And I'm busy modding Dreamcasts. Casemodding and trying to find what I can do with a Disc Drive lacking DC. =P

10. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I've done quite a few mods to DC too (OC, CPU vcore increase for really high OC, Audio mod, custom AV out, cooling enhancement mods, some cosmetical mods). Saturn, 32X and MCD are my next targets. Regions are no problems to me.

11. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Oh stop it, you know that's long gone. Don't make me mourn once more for the dead TechTV. G4 isn't nearly as good as it. I actually went to a Screensavers filming in LA, it featured how to replace your x-box dvd drive, and a guy who was still making games for the Atari 2600. This is definately The Screensavers material. What really makes this mod shine is the over-the-top VDF tubes. Fantastic stuff!

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Dude, either you're pissing about or you COMPLETELY missed the reference =P

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    In any case, I did too -- the first thing to come to mind for me was Leo Laporte and Patrick Norton.

14. Mine isn't modded THAT hard, yours is so cool! Mine has a fan on the Big SEGA Chip in the middle (VDP AFAIK) and heatsinks on many chips. I have a rainbow LED that changes colours, I have the usual 50/60hz and Jap/USA Switches. Could you give me an advise on how to do a VGA output? If so, You'd be my hero :D

NOTE: I have the Mega Drive I, not the II.

15. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Since your Genny is overclocked, I wanna see a port of Star Fox to see if it can run it on an eprom cart.

16. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Gimme a ROM of that SF game and I'll see what my baby can do.... not much as 10MHz is nothing much... 16 and more is, but I lack a system that can handle it in long terms.

For the PSEUDO VGA you need to grab the RGB outputs form the RGB encoder chip, and grab the H and V sync from 2 cartslot pins. you need to put a diode between H and V sync lines (son't remember which way) and pray your monitor supports 15KHz H sync. Mine does, but hte image is not perfect :/ Picture is little jiggly (H sync needs some ampimg) and there's weird shadows.

[​IMG]

Some audio samples form my MD2 :

http://www.hot.ee/tmeeco3/S3AA2.OGG
    http://www.hot.ee/tmeeco3/S3IC1.OGG
    http://www.hot.ee/tmeeco3/MD2CCAM2.OGG
    http://epicgaming.us/tiido/MUSIC/SOR2-02.OGG
    http://epicgaming.us/tiido/MUSIC/GA-DA.OGG

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    That rocks so hard.. I need to get me a Genesis again, My old one died ages ago. :<

18. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Why poeple don't post their modded stuff ? I know Oerg886 has a modded MD1... please post some pics

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't think a lot of people actually have a modded MD. :P

I could be wrong, though. I've been thinking of trying it, myself, but I only have one machine and I lack the tools to really do anything.

20. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I know many people don't have them, but its still worth a shot :) People on various forums have considered mine to be one of the best ever... I got the title "Mega Drive Modding Master" on Underground Console Mods when it existed :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.