don't click here

Changing music

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by n00neimp0rtant, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    I know absolutely nothing about Sonic hacking, but how easy/difficult is it to take a song from one Sonic game and port it into another? If it's not too bad, could you direct me to a tutorial on how?

2. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    Does this also go for dissassemblies? From what I understand, it looks like each song and all that have to be actually coded into the game instead of say, finding a midi, or mod or what ever, and "importing" it.

3. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    If you want to "import" MIDI or MOD files, you can convert them to the XM format and then use XM2SMPS or XM3SMPS.

4. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    You can also use Sonic QX if you wish to go straight from MIDI to SMPS. Outdated yes, but it has it's uses as it is capable of getting exact tempos when using XM files does not. (I think I'll have to use it at least twice)

However, when importing your midis, keep the hardware limitations in mind. I'll say right now you'll be better off splitting the hi hats from the percussion in your midis, regardless of what you import it with.

5. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    One question - How in the hell do you convert to XM?

6. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    If you want to convert MOD/IT/S3M to XM, you can use MOD2XM.
    but if you want to convert a MIDI to XM, use ModPlugTracker.

7. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Bah, I could never get QX to work.

Also, I keep getting a MSCOMC2.ocx error, when I clearly have it in my system32, system AND the folder with xm3smps in it, and it still won't work. Anyone able to help with this?

8. Shikamaru

Shikamaru

Banned
    Idaho, Nampa
    Sonic 3 Knuckles: Alternate Dimension Version
    One quetion - how do you get xm music into Sonic 2 (if possible)

9. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    For a simple way, you can port over the Sonic 1 sound driver over to S2, which would allow you to put songs from S1 in.

10. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I worked on doing that all day yesterday with no luck

11. Flygon

Flygon

I think there is a converter that lets you convert music provided they are in the right format, just let me check.

Here it is

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    ModPlug tracker does a terrible job of MIDI to XM conversion. I used to have a much better tool years ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

13. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Surprisingly, you can get ModPlug Tracker to import almost all MIDIs perfectly if you change the MIDI's tempo to 120 with "MIDI Orchestrator Plus" (doesn't work with any other MIDI editors, for whatever weird reason).

14. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I remember nineko specifically telling me they would not work well due to how they're internally structured. If they do work, they must be horribly structured in-game, and nowhere near as accurate as it could (or should) be.

16. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Well ModPlug fails at quantizing the notes well. So it's a choice between either a bad internal structure or just sounding like it has a fluctuating tempo I guess. Eduardo seemed pretty pleased with the results though but I haven't tried it out myself just yet.

17. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
  18. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Oops sorry, fixed. Not sure what happened there.

19. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    The problem is that gmid2mod pretty much randomizes the instrument placement. You can have, say, a snare drum, a guitar, and a trumpet followed by another guitar on the same channel. It also uses a much larger amount of channels than it should need. I mean, come on! Do you really need 16 channels plus a tempo of 250/1 for green hill zone?

MID2XM is a much better option, though it takes a while to configure it to output things how you'd want them for xm3smps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.