don't click here

Translations

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Oerg866, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there,

here I will post my translations from german sonic protoype magazine articles to english.

Feel free to suggest an article you found.

Sonic the hedgehog 1:

Original article: click here

Translation: here

Sonic the Hedgehog 2:

Original Article:
    Page 1: http://griggiup.gr.funpic.de/files/1199298669.jpg
    Page 2: http://sockenupload.so.funpic.de/files/1199299041.jpg
    Page 3: http://sockenupload.so.funpic.de/files/1199299475.jpg

Translation:

Page 1: here
    Page 2: here
    Page 3: here

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (most interesting one :P):

Original:
    P1: here
    P2: here
    P3: here
    P4: here
    P5: here
    P6: here

Translation: here

Sonic CD:

Original and Translation in one file: EDIT: File temporarily avaiable here: http://oerg.byethost13.com/scd.html

Greetings,
    Oerg866

2. Flygon

Flygon

I found the Sonic 3 article very interesting, the 3 versions section was most interesting for me.

The apperant special edition cartridge mentioned in the article that would contain Sonic 3 and Knuckles is also interesting for me, they said it would use a 24bit cartridge, I find that interesting as serveral people here mentioned that Sonic 3 and Knuckles can be stripped down to 24mbits. Though think that this is more of a coincidence than anything.

Persuming that this magazine article came before the release of Sonic 3 and Knuckles , I have to say that this could easily confirm Segas plans for a lock-on cartridge in the first place.

Great translation Oerg.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, second time we see that "Sonic 3 Part I" title. That reminds me of the episodic games of today...

Thanks for sharing!

4. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    Help!-Item? Is that the item that that would use the whistle?

EDIT: On page two there's an S2 running animation frame on the Ice Cap loop.
    Also on page 3 while running in Angel Island.

Screw it, they're everywhere. The new art obviously isn't in yet.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I never even thought to make the connection, but that makes complete sense. Nice theory!

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Ah, very interesting articles you've translated, Oerg. Thanks for bringing these to our attention.

7. @Tweaker: I wonder if that ever was fully implemented in sonic 3.
    @SOTI: thank you :thumbsup:
    @Armada: Since this game was built over S2, yes.
    @Iceknight and flygon: Yes. That's almost definite proof. Why? Well, if they didn't already know that, they've would simply named S&K as Sonic 4 (that remembers me buying S&K off eBay where it said FOR SALE: SONIC 4).

If anyone has other german articles, please show me them and I'll translate.

Greets
    Oerg

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It absolutely was. It was documented in this article, and the whistling sprites are very much intact still.

Actually, how I think it worked is that you'd grab the monitor... once you did, you'd stop and do the whistling animation. Tails would fly in and grab you, and you'd be in flying mode for a short amount of time, in which you'd use the ability to get to secret areas with goodies and such, or just an alternate path in general.

I figure they ditched it since a second player could come in and do it manually at any point in time during the game. It'd be a bit redundant to have a powerup for that, don't you think?

Man, all of a sudden I'm loads more interested in Sonic 3's development. It always seemed kinda bland and straightforward, but now I'm starting to think a lot differently.

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    PR aside, I can confirm Sonic 3 (including S&K levels and playable Knuckles) was complete before Sonic 3 was released.

Like I said in IRC before, that item box is definitely interesting. The rest just confirms what we knew for a long time =P

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    <!--quoteo(post=175180:date=Jan 3 2008, 11:39 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Jan 3 2008, 11:39 PM) [​IMG]

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the sounds of it, I'm thinking it might have been used in Marble Garden 2 only, for the unlimited flight mode.

EDIT: Also, this "help item" could explain the whistling that can be heard when breaking the "S" monitors...

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Doesn't that sound play during normal transformation as well, though? If not, then that pretty much confirms it.

13. nineko

nineko

italy
    Just checked it, in S3 and S3&K. That sound is only played in Sonic 3 and only if you break an "S" monitor. AND in S3&K's Doomsday. It's never played during regular 50 rings transformation, in neither S3 nor S3&K.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Heh, perhaps The Doomsday was intended to have another "Help item" at the beginning... And perhaps you could also play that level as Sonic+Tails?

We can speculate all we want until we see a proto of this. =\

15. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    won't be long until we do, I'm fairly certain of that :thumbsup:

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Bump, blah blah blah I don't care.

I just came up with this idea in the IRC channel...
    What do you guys think? It didn't hit me until just now, but this makes perfect senseā€”I doubt they'd randomly place the "whistle" sound in the middle of the shield sound effects for no reason! :)

For the curious, the shield sounds begin at $3E, and the whistle sound in question is sound $46. There's also an odd sound in slot $40, which is also in the middle of the shield sounds... do you think it's another scrapped item? I don't remember it being used anywhere, but I could be wrong.

17. That *would* (conjunctive!) make perfect sense. But we can't know for sure until we see proof :thumbsup:

18. nineko

nineko

italy
    That doesn't explain why you whistle at the beginning of Doomsday in S3&K.

19. Maybe tails would've helped you in this zone ? :D

20. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I remember finding that myself, years ago, and spending ages playing the whole game through to find a shield that'd make that sound.

I never did though, but I always thought if it had been a shield, it would've been one almost identical to the Lightning one, and thus superfluous.

Good show with finding the whistle, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.