don't click here

Gens for iPhone/Touch

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Spexfox, Mar 31, 2008.

1. I know Gens is opens source, and even though it works with Direct X, wouldn't it be possible to make it use OpenGL and compile it under the ARM processor? I would really love the ability to take Genesis games on the go through the iPod Touch.

2. SwissCM

SwissCM

A gens port would be a rather silly idea since it's not really optimised and is full of x86 assembly code. A more sensible idea would be to port one of the ARM-based or portable optimised genesis emulators available for the GP2X and PSP like Picodrive.

I'm not sure what limitations the SDK for the iPhone/Touch has either. They could pose a problem.

EDIT: I also have no idea why people are targeting the iPhone/Touch as a gaming platform, it's quite terrible at it. You're better off getting something specifically made to play games like a PSP, GP2X or DS. All three already have homebrew ports of emulators. I personally use a PSP for that kind of stuff and it works great. Even has excellent PS1 emulation and the widest target audience for homebrew due to the ease of flashing it with hacked firmware.

3. Gunner112k

Gunner112k

Catch Thirty-Three Oldbie
    There's a Megadrive emulator that just came out on the touch, check it out

4. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Actually, the iphone/ipod touch isloads more powerful than the PSP, GP2X, or DS. The PSP does win in Graphic Acceleration, but hardly; some good OpenGL 3D demos have been shown on the iPhone. Apart from controls, it has a higher screen resolution, is quite a bit faster, and if I remember correctly, it has more RAM.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'll believe THAT the day that someone shows a game on the same graphical level & power as Outrun 2006 running on the Apple OverpricedPhone - that thing really pushes the PSP to it's limits and still runs well.

6. Epicenter

Epicenter

Resident Ecco Fanatic Tech Member
    USA
    Ecco Prototype Documentation
    Touchscreens will always be fucking terrible for emulating real gaming controls. The iHype is no exception.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, there's a friend of mine at school with a SNES emulator for the iPod touch, and the gamepad is ON the screen. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll be god damned if I end up damaging my screen that way.

I've got a homebrew-enabled PSP at my disposal, and it's never done me anything but good. I suggest that if anyone wants to get into portable emulation, you go with a PSP.

8. [strike]Do you know the name of it? Is it already available in some common sources or will I probably have to add a source to get?[/strike]

Anyway, I'm well aware the iPod Touch is not the best emulation platform around, but I don't have a PSP and I don't feel like going through the hassle of getting a DS to run homebrew. The iPod is the best bet for me. Plus I'm ALWAYS carrying my iPod, unlike my bulkier DS. It's just easier for me to use the Touch for this.

Found it! Genesis4iPhone. Not the most creative name but it's an emulator! =3 And I just got it under the games category of packages.

9. SwissCM

SwissCM

Put all those together and you have a battery life of less than an hour.

10. notaz

notaz

Tech Member
    Looks like it's just a port of PicoDrive GP2X version. Why the heck did he change the name? And not even mentioned what he has ported, that fucking bastard.

11. Epicenter

Epicenter

USA
    I'm hoping they don't fuck up "Pandora" in ways like the GP2X. Otherwise the emulators for that platform would be a lot of fun to play, but as it stands they're ruined by the piss poor controls and battery life, and numerous other hardware faults. Pandora's SOC has a 600 MHz+ ARM Cortex-A8 and PowerVR GPU, as well as 128mb of MobileDDR. It would positively blow the iPhone, PSP, DS and GP2X out of the water as emulation platforms. And since it's a good 65nm TI chipset, it should get great battery life. If they don't fuck it up. Let's hope. :P

12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    ...Problem with the pandora is that design-wise, it's a tanglemess of ugly. As for controls, it looks to be some of the worst, ergonomically.

13. Epicenter

Epicenter

USA
    The DPad/buttons look well enough placed. I wouldn't touch the analogs with a 10-foot pole, which incidentally, you might have to. ;) But who needs analogs anyway.

14. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Something called genesis4iphone was released in the last week. It seems like everything runs just as it would on the Genesis. For controls, you can either hold the iPhone vertically, and the game is on the top half of the screen while the bottom is your controller, or hold it horizontally with your controls laid over the screen with some transparently.

15. I can't even imagine how you'd play any real-time game well with touchscreen controls. You'd be fine with an FF or other kinds of RPGs, but try to play Sonic or Street Fighter and it sounds like you'd get your ass handed to you real quick.