don't click here

S2BETA4 discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I do, and I have it saved. If I was at home I'd post it =P

2. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    http://www.mgcomics.com/NFR/index.php?ep=1157340896

3. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Ok... so why the HECK change it? if they intended it to be there WHY did they change it eventually in both Sonic 1 + 2 Smart arse?

4. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Because, "Smart arse", it's obviously fucking annoying. You can tell some of the layouts were made with the spike thing in count, such as that spot in EHZ1 after the large waterfall, or as it's been said, the pit in Mystic Cave, but they obviously figured it was a bad mechanic and had to go. They later patched it up in Sonic 1 by the time Jam was out, but they retained the same level design, making it pretty easier (several pits which were decked with spikes in GHZ can now be crossed over with little to no trouble, some death traps in LZ aren't deadly anymore, etc).

On the topic of whether or not Super Sonic would be affected by spikes, it may have actually been true. If you were to make Super Sonic take damage from spikes but not lose any rings, you'd get stuck bouncing back and forth until your ring count hit zero, much like what happens in Sonic 1 if you jump on spikes with the invincibility code on. That could have been the actual reason as to why double spike damage was taken off, previously to actually making Super Sonic fully invincible.

It's times like these I wish we had more alphas to dissect. Speculating is amusing and everything, but you usually end up so off. =|

5. Skaarg

Skaarg

I'm not sure why you needed to bring out the smart arse comment djdocsonic, but whatever. I agree with what you said Neo, that really gives the perfect sense as to why they would take the double spike hit out.

6. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Apologees for that comment but I don't like be treated like a turd... Why take out something that has been in and then Patch Sonic 1 to remove it as well...

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Bug reports from STI guys.
    Wasn't there a bug report from Mega Collection mentioning this bug?

8. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Some layouts, such as mystic cave, were probably created with the spike "bug" in mind simply because the level designer assumed it was a feature and not a bug. But that doesn't mean he was actually right if they fixed it later.

9. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    That was from Sonic Compilation, and the entire compilation bug database is completely retarded anyway.

10. Bozo

Bozo

On second thought, don't even bother.
    Can someone delete this post?

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    How interesting!

...oh. Right.

Excuse me, but... no shit? It's pretty much common sense that if you open up a savestate in a game it doesn't belong to, unfavorable and unexpected results will occur. It's nothing new, and it's most certainly not "interesting."

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Unless of course it unlocks an element that was intended to be there, like how an illegal exception triggers the level select in S3D.

13. Bozo

Bozo

Kind of. It loaded Knuckles into Hill Top, then crashed upon entering. I didn't add that one in, though.

But, I don't think that was intended...

14. Also if you burn it to EEPROM, put it in the blender, switch it on, kind of KEWL things happen.

15. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    pics plz

16. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    *notes it down*

Thanks man, if I ever find a Sonic 1 proto, this is how I'll test it.

17. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

18. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Spoiler: Yes, it blends!

19. Vangar

Vangar

SONIC NEVER BLENDS

20. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Can somebody re-upload the Hidden Palace zip for BETA 4? I keep on getting archive corruption issues when trying to open it.

(or tell me what to do to get there on my own, and I'll do it)