don't click here

My thought about Hidden Palace Zone

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mr_Boo_Berry, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member

This is what I personally think HPZ was meant to be at some point. Get 7 emeralds, and the next star post would send you to Hidden Palace. There you turn Super touching the emerald or some kind of event there and the level ends after reaching the top of the infamous slope, which by the way and IIRC the speed set for super sonic allows him to go through it without problems. That would also explain with you can't go through this slope usually, and why the level didn't have a "normal" end. And it also makes sense considering this is somehow what happens after collecting the 7 emeralds past MHZ in S3&K.

Well, I guess we'll never know; probably nothing of this was ever coded anyway.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Depending, if you become friend of a developer with good memory and get him/her drunk, he/she may tell something interesting :P

3. BtCE

BtCE

It's real interesting to see a revival of all of these theorys and ideas - I'm glad that with the recent prototype related information that it seems to really be growing back.

The first topic I ever made here was a "Master Emerald in HPZ" theory - I think I said something to the effect of the fact that the graphics around the "large emerald" seemed to be shaped like 6 chaos emeralds and would light up after each collected emerald (assuming that there were only 6 emeralds, like in Sonic 1). Then it would break open and you could enter the tube and VOILA, Super Sonic. Of course, there was no evidence of that and the Craig Stitt interviews said otherwise, showing my falsehood and I hadn't done my research (although I don't know if the interview had been conducted at the time (2003), I may be mixing up my timeline, but the fact that it was a crappy theory still stood).

...that was 5 years ago. I'd still like to believe that something related to the Hidden Palace Zone being a "big secret" was true. It would be neat to see that implemented in a project. I doubt we'll ever truly know for sure, but it's nice to hear people contemplate this sort of thing.

EDIT: I actually found the topic - and I hate to admit it, but it's very embarassing to read this. I was 13 back then, and after a few members put me in my place, I attempted to improve my grammar. Well, at least I don't type like that now, and I'm no longer a huge immature d-bag, but here it is: First Post

4. Vangar

Vangar

I was going to bring in the whole, "HPZ's emerald was just a breakable object", but then I had a thought.

Yeah, it was breakable, and it leads to nowhere. Giving the idea of missing cutscenes, could it be possible you break the block, fall inside, and the camera stops following sonic. Then he flies back out of the tube, up the ramp and into DEZ?

Even if it was never meant to be, it sounds cool. Haha.

5. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Common sense tells me the big emerald is just a breakable object, the level continued and you had to go through the tube. What about the steep slope? Take a look to where it leads. There's a waterfall and the water leads to both sides. My theory? You didn't access there from the slope but somewhere later, and the slope is a return path. Which would explain why it's so steep, you aren't meant to go upwards, but only downwards.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think that that was just a way to prevent people from going any further at the time, seeing as how incomplete the level was (Afterwards there is nothing really). Also, that steep thing doesn't make sense. If you go too high, then you'll be back in the water. Seems that it was something that was meant to be fixed later.

7. Ok, here's my revised idea thus far.

1) Hidden Palace Zone is accessible from a star post after acquiring all 7 Chaos Emeralds.
    2) There is no "master emerald". The object is breakable.
    3) The slope is not there. Too annoying to even deal with... maybe at the end of the level to reach the alter to gain Super Sonic's abilities?
    4) There is an alter where at the top, a cutscene happens, where Sonic gains Super Sonic abilities (I'm thinking floating up in the air and having all 7 Emeralds spin around him, and they go inside him, he flashes and turns yellow. Sonic Advance inspired idea, I know).
    5) Super Sonic exits the level via another star post, or perhaps a giant ring. Need to think about this one.

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    But somehow Sonic must return, due to the supposed location of Hidden Palace in the level select. Think in S3&K. You access the Hidden Palace through the big rings, but at the end you reach it normally. Also, I don't see why the slope is there just to block the access to the rest of the level. I would just let the player reach the end and then leave it as a gap. Seriously, it isn't meant to be the final version, which means it doesn't matter if it looks non-coherent.

9. Heh, maybe the teleportation object from S3K could be ported over and used?

10. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Don't you think it could be just a random level, like every others? In Sonic 1, there aren't any connections between levels.
    And since there are no cut-scenes in Sonic 2, I don't see why Hidden Palace would be more special than the other levels...
    As for the big emerald... Every level has some objects that represents the main theme/idea, like the antic column for Aquatic Ruins.

11. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Since Wing Fortress there are cutscenes in Sonic 2, and anyways, it doesn't make much sense having Hidden Palace between it and Death Egg. I mean, to reach Wing Fortress you needed the Tornado, and then suddenly you can go from Hidden Palace to the Death Egg as if nothing happened? I don't think so.

12. Sherbet

Sherbet

That's more like it. Member
    Someone (I believe it was Craig Stitt [Actually it was Yuji Naka]) mentioned that the idea behind Hidden Palace Zone was something along the lines of "where do the chaos emeralds come from". While the large green emerald may not have been a "master emerald", it was very likely a breakable, large chaos emerald. I'd assume the level would have had several of these, perhaps even with different colors. If this were to be a "Super" level, it's not too far-fetched of an idea that these would be breakable only while Super Sonic, similarly to how you would automatically crush rocks and destructible scenery while Super in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Or, like stated before by The Tweaker, a cutscene could have had him crush through the emerald, and emerge as Super Sonic.

13. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    No it wasn't me who said that, I think it was Tweaker. And I don't think you would break the emeralds only if you were Super Sonic because then you would get stuck in that part if you aren't Super. But I don't discard another cutscene, but this time at the end of the level.

Hey, I have the feeling somebody'll finish making a hack out of all this.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That was Naka.

15. Sherbet

Sherbet

That's more like it. Member
    Hrm. All righty then, I've patched up those mistakes.

But yes, even if this speculation gets nowhere discovery-wise, this stuff is a Rom-Hacking GOLD MINE. I wouldn't mind seeing someone attempt to program some cutscenes into one badass Hidden Palace level.

16. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    OK, but somebody should make the layout first. And a good layout, you know, having something at the end like the Master Emerald hall in S3&K. Also, should Hidden Palace be just one act? All zones since Sky Chase only have one act, and Hidden Palace would fall here.

17. Two acts? Fine by me, but this would derail the concept of using the star posts to send to you HPZ after gaining the seven Chaos Emeralds, but then again it may just work out best that way. To make a really good layout for one or two acts, I suspect some custom art would have to be created to finish the level completely (and not some bland piece of crap like in the alphas).

Now, question... to ramp or not to ramp? Should that awful ramp be redone into something different, or just removed completely? I'm thinking it could be used at the end of the level to reach the top of some alter, for the transformation to take place and the level to end on a good note.

It shouldn't really be too elaborate and over the top. Something down to Earth, and something Sega probably would have done if they had the time to do so.

Screw the master emerald breakable object. I think if any attempt is made, it should either be removed, or reworked to not look like a Chaos Emerald. Maybe the object can be used in some other manner, like around the alter where the transformation takes place? Different colored versions of the "master emerald" would be nice. But, I rather not include such a thing, since the concept of the master emerald wasn't conceived until S3&K.

18. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    IF: Sonic became Super Sonic on HPZ
    THEN: I would think the steep slope would be a way to show off one of Super Sonic's abilities (the ability to run up very steep slopes?)

Just unfounded speculation really, but it makes sense to me.

19. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I insist, you're meant to take the tube which wraps you somewhere later in the level, and the slope is the return path :/

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I Dunno...the Super Sonic up the slope theory sounds the most plausible to me. Transform, fly up slope, cue point tally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.